Critique Gannet diving

Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday I watched Gannets diving for the first time (I haven't been to the beach in 10 weeks due to lockdown, and have never seen one previously)
Although I like this image, I can see that it has quite a few things that can be improved on. I hope to get plenty of chances soon to do just that, but for now, here's my first effort. Thanks for looking.

Gannet diving by Luke Case, on Flickr

Thanks Tom and Les. I thought Gannets were birds you only saw at sea, or in very specific areas near breeding grounds (like Bempton I think it's called, or Scotland)
Turns out, they hang out at Newgale Beach as well which is conveniently a few minutes from my house!

Thanks Tom and Les. I thought Gannets were birds you only saw at sea, or in very specific areas near breeding grounds (like Bempton I think it's called, or Scotland)
Turns out, they hang out at Newgale Beach as well which is conveniently a few minutes from my house!

They’re easiest to see at colonies like Bempton but you can see them all around the coast. They’ll follow shoals of mackerel quite close to shore. The light in your shot really is lovely. I’d be really pleased with that if I were you.

Thanks Tom! I was very happy with the light, it's just quite a hefty crop and very slightly out of focus. I found it very hard to track them as they pivoted and then plunged down at great speed. The frame after this was better, being just about to strike the water, but i clipped off one wing sadly so it went in the bin. As a first effort though, I'm happy. Thanks again

Back