Garden spider

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to get half an hour in the garden between showers this afternoon and found this garden spider.
I think the DOF could have been a bit deeper.
C&C welcome
1173268324_98dbccb259_o.jpg

Good god what a horror!

Nice shot, personally I think the dof works well on this one! The eyes look good'n'sharp!

Shudder!

AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!

Its horrible!

Picture isn't bad though, as you say DoF needs to be a little deeper.

I would have squashed it with something big and heavy.

Crikey - is your back garden somewhere in the Amazon rain forest...:)

Great pic though.

A touch more DOF would have made an already superb (imo)shot even better. Love it :clap:

Jeez that's ugly!

Cracking shot with great detail. As you've already said yourself just a little more DOF would have made it a potential competition winner IMO.

Was this using natural light or a flash... if a flash was it a standard unit or fing?

Best regards,

Chris

Nice and sharp on the eyes and the spines on the front legs. They seem to be getting bigger and bolder each year!

I can only wonder what the spider was thinking with you pointing a DSLR in his many eyes...:LOL:;)

Really super close-up of that little beastie Scraggs ... (y) ... amazing clarity on the eyes and its front legs ... :clap:

Not sure you'd have it so sharp with more DoF and slower shutter though ... :shrug:

:p

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Chris it was taken using the 580 EXII flash using the catchlight
Ven I took this using the Canon 100 macro and I do have a problem using it at low shutter speeds so yes I dont think it would have been as sharp this was at 1/125Sec anything under 1/100 seems to be a bit blurry handheld

Ah ... then you might well have gotten away with improved DoF ... :D ... get out there and try again what you waiting for ... :LOL:

:p

I had an almost identical one in the back garden last summer and really struggled to get a decent pic as it was in the middle of a web about 2 feet square and the wind was just blowing it backwards and forwards, I did think about hairspray but decided it wasn't very sporting.

Cracking photo. Just like the pictures that I have been trying (and failing to take recently).

By the way, those that advocate squashing these beasties, just think of all the nasty little flies they eat.

My only complaint against spiders is when they make webs at head height in the garden which you inadvertently walk into and get a face full of web.

Ewww.

Ugly subject - Cracking picture :)

My girlfriends little bro has just got a tranantula for his birthday, its mahoosive! Needs a wide angle lens not a macro for that one!

Ven I took this using the Canon 100 macro and I do have a problem using it at low shutter speeds so yes I dont think it would have been as sharp this was at 1/125Sec anything under 1/100 seems to be a bit blurry handheld

Thanks for the info Keith.

I've yet to try my flash with the macro. Have got the cord though and a bracket so no excuse now! The exif info's been lost on your image, what ISO were you at? I've found I can get very useable images (certainly as fairly large prints) at ISO 400.

I like this a lot :)

For me the depth of field is spot on, you don't need to see anymore of the wee beastie to recognise what it is.

I think, if the back legs were in sharp focus, your eye would be drawn around the back ground and away from those beady eyes.

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the info Keith.

I've yet to try my flash with the macro. Have got the cord though and a bracket so no excuse now! The exif info's been lost on your image, what ISO were you at? I've found I can get very useable images (certainly as fairly large prints) at ISO 400.

Yes CS2 save for web seems to strip the exif but here are the important bits

Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/125Sec.
Av(Aperture Value) F7.1
ISO Speed 400
Flash On

Great picture. Really like the lighting, looks natural

Back