Garden Warbler

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Prefer number 3 of the shots...

Did you get a shot slightly after in number 1 - maybe picking / eating a berry ?

No the berries were going down in one, the small hide window at Slimbridge made this very difficult to photograph as it was high a bush. Still am happy with the results.

Oh yes, very much so, I'd be very happy with these shots - wondered if you'd struck lucky :)

I like no 1 the best too on my screen looks like it could do with a slight bit more contract which would help with detail

#1 for me stands as being the most attractive ... the bird and bg are good and overall it works apart from the bottom right hand corner ... I would crop it tighter on a 2 x 3 or even unconstrained to get rid of the OOF element as it distracts IMHO ..... it is important that the subject, (the bird), be a bit more dominant in shots this close

I also think a bit more contrast would help

It is a really attractive bird and image .... just needs a little more work .... try some options

Last edited:
#1 for me stands as being the most attractive ... the bird and bg are good and overall it works apart from the bottom right hand corner ... I would crop it tighter on a 2 x 3 or even unconstrained to get rid of the OOF element as it distracts IMHO ..... it is important that the subject, (the bird), be a bit more dominant in shots this close

I also think a bit more contrast would help

It is a really attractive bird and image .... just needs a little more work .... try some options

Bill - thanks for the feedback, will have another go at cropping this and maybe a little more contrast

Bill - thanks for the feedback, will have another go at cropping this and maybe a little more contrast

Gareth, I don't think that you need all the berry for the sake of a better image

edit_warbler.jpg

Last edited:
the small hide window at Slimbridge made this very difficult to photograph as it was high a bush.

This is a problem with several of the older hides there Gareth, I now bypass some as I can't even get the 500 through the window!
Your edit of #1 works well in removing most of the OOF bottom right, otherwise it's habitat which IMO never harms an image like this :)

I really like the first two and the slightly softer tones of the OP's first versions work for me as the Garden Warbler is a fairly subtle coloured bird in the first place - a good capture as they're not easy to see let alone photograph :)

This is a problem with several of the older hides there Gareth, I now bypass some as I can't even get the 500 through the window!
Your edit of #1 works well in removing most of the OOF bottom right, otherwise it's habitat which IMO never harms an image like this :)

Thanks - My 200-400 is slightly smaller than a 500, but it is a real pain and try to loo up is very difficult. Although I really like and enjoy Slimbridge it would be nice if they spent a little money on upkeep and repairing some of the hides. I am not sure which edit I prefer probably the 2nd but I agree the bird and the habitat cannot be separated.

I really like the first two and the slightly softer tones of the OP's first versions work for me as the Garden Warbler is a fairly subtle coloured bird in the first place - a good capture as they're not easy to see let alone photograph :)

Thanks for the comment - I think I prefer the 2nd version, I was lucky this is the first Garden Warbler I have seen with any clarity and it showed very well.

Although I really like and enjoy Slimbridge it would be nice if they spent a little money on upkeep and repairing some of the hides.

I agree, although they have just re-roofed the Robbie Garnett & Martin Smith Hides with corrugated sheet metal, (could be noisy!), some areas are extensively overgrown including the Kingfisher Hide where it is almost impossible to see the water, let alone photograph anything on it!

Back