weekly GarethB's 52 challenge for 2019 - Week 51 & 52 - CHRISTMASSY & OUTTAKES - FINISHED!

Absolutely love your Light theme Gareth, great bokeh and depth of field. Nice take on the theme and fits it to a T.

Those light images are so damn cool Gareth. They would look incredible, printed and framed and hung in the Tate. Great idea.

Blimey Ian! Thank you so much for your incredibly kind words!(y)

I would never of thought of that Gareth, fantastic image ! Gallery for sure !

Thank you too Chris, exceptionally kind comments indeed!(y)

Great shot, something a little different, and all the better for that :)

Thank you most kindly Rick, very much appreciated!(y)

Absolutely love your Light theme Gareth, great bokeh and depth of field. Nice take on the theme and fits it to a T.

Thank you very much Garry, I certainly appreciate the positive comments!(y)(y)

Food - Lovely lighting and reflections. Black tiles my favourite.
Smooth - Great panning , Like the choice of angle of rotation.
Above. Good leading lines drawing to the building with red brick
Hot - Good DOF there, Making me hungry too. Has to be a good image to do that!
Light - Creative, nice. Good abstract and if you hadn't said what it was I would not have guessed. Nice

Very nice ‘light’ image, and great bokeh - I think adding the blue gel really adds to it, bringing a bit of colour contrast. Great stuff :)

Hi Gareth, a bit of a catch-up from me as I'm almost up to date on my own thread, and as usual you have added some superb images!

My favourites are the first one for Wet, which benefits from the focus-stacking and is a psychedelic mixture of colours and shapes, ALL of the images from your Free week but especially the SOOC version for the wonderful tones and shapes, both images for Food are fab but I just prefer the second one as the green and orange seem to stand out better against the white background, and your idea for Light is excellent and has provided a range of striking images. It's hard to pick one as a favourite but #3 has just the right mixture of shapes, points of light and bokeh balls; it's excellent! :claps:

I've loved catching up and will be around more regularly from now on :)

Food - Lovely lighting and reflections. Black tiles my favourite.
Smooth - Great panning , Like the choice of angle of rotation.
Above. Good leading lines drawing to the building with red brick
Hot - Good DOF there, Making me hungry too. Has to be a good image to do that!
Light - Creative, nice. Good abstract and if you hadn't said what it was I would not have guessed. Nice

Thank you kindly Vince, I appreciate the time you've taken to look and comment!(y)

Very nice ‘light’ image, and great bokeh - I think adding the blue gel really adds to it, bringing a bit of colour contrast. Great stuff :)

Many thanks Grant, I was pleasantly surprised at just how much of a difference adding the flash made.
I'll definitely be revisiting this concept and experimenting some more....probably shoehorn some of them here!!:giggle:

Great work on the theme of light! The first one for me. Winner!!

Thank you very much Bob, most appreciated!(y)

Hi Gareth, a bit of a catch-up from me as I'm almost up to date on my own thread, and as usual you have added some superb images!

My favourites are the first one for Wet, which benefits from the focus-stacking and is a psychedelic mixture of colours and shapes, ALL of the images from your Free week but especially the SOOC version for the wonderful tones and shapes, both images for Food are fab but I just prefer the second one as the green and orange seem to stand out better against the white background, and your idea for Light is excellent and has provided a range of striking images. It's hard to pick one as a favourite but #3 has just the right mixture of shapes, points of light and bokeh balls; it's excellent! :claps:

I've loved catching up and will be around more regularly from now on :)

Thank you most kindly Andrea, I really appreciate your positive comments, and the effort you put in to catch up!(y)
I have fell a couple of days behind here and there, and I find that a bit heavy going!
I too enjoy the commenting however....I feel privileged to view the excellent quality of photography displayed here in the 52 challenge.:)

Week 18 - Crowd(ed)

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

After a few failed attempts to portray 'standing out from the crowd' using a load of plastic forks....(don't ask)....I reconsidered and came up with this.
It's Monopoly, and don't you think this end of the board looks very crowded?
And I think that the jail is going to be awfully crowded too!

On a side note, I think perhaps it has a sort of 'stock image' feel about it....the stock image industry could certainly be described as an overcrowded market for sure!:giggle:

TP-52-2019 wk-18 - Crowded
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

Plastic forks ??:D
Monopoly is a blast from the past, a good shot Gareth and jail does look overcrowded too. I always ended up hitting the go to jail when we all played it.

Many thanks Dave, always appreciate your positive comments!(y)
Yes, indeed....plastic forks....long story short - I wanted to line them all up and have one a different colour, or a different orientation, but I just couldn't get it to work satisfactorily.
I still have the 'fork' images....they're not that bad, but it wasn't a good fit for the theme!
Not sure what I was thinking to be honest!:LOL:

I like your idea and take on the theme, Gareth. Perhaps, maybe a bit too many bits and pieces. Personally, I think a minimal approach may also work here with just the playing pieces piled into the Jail square (crowded jail) and do away with the rest and what do you think?

Thank you for the positive critique Stan, most appreciated.
That is a fair point. Now that I look at it again, it does seem a trifle busy. I thought the houses being accurately lined up would add a little neatness/geometry to the chaos of the pieces on the 'Go To Jail' square, but I think you're right, it has resulted in it looking a bit overcrowded!
Maybe I should have left the money out too....although that took longer to arrange than I would like to admit!:D
I was going to shoot it as a macro, thus achieving the technique too, but thought better of it eventually....oh well....still, it's better than my fork idea!!:giggle:

That's a great idea, and particularly well executed...

Thank you kindly Mark, very much appreciated!(y)

Definitely fits the theme Gareth, quite imaginative and brought back quite a few memories for me and the great game. Like the thought of a macro shot on the go to jail square though

I think it’s ok being busy as the theme is crowded it’s a good take on the theme well set up and executed

For me it fits the theme really well. As you say, it has a bit of a 'stock' image look to it, to your credit. Nicely arranged and well shot/processed.

Definitely fits the theme Gareth, quite imaginative and brought back quite a few memories for me and the great game. Like the thought of a macro shot on the go to jail square though

Thank you kindly Chris...brought back some fond memories for me too....especially the arguments over who was the bank!!:giggle:

I think it’s ok being busy as the theme is crowded it’s a good take on the theme well set up and executed

Many thanks Allan, your positive comments are always appreciated!(y)

For me it fits the theme really well. As you say, it has a bit of a 'stock' image look to it, to your credit. Nicely arranged and well shot/processed.

Thank you very much Bob! I used to shoot for stock a while ago....still do a bit every now and then....not sure this one is marketable though!!:LOL:

Hot - Not normally a fan of hot cross buns but your photo makes me want to eat one! Very nice composition.
Light - Really like the bokeh of the lights. Really great image, I could look at it for ages.
Crowded - That is a crowded jail! Colours are really good in this one. You can see the dogs head in the reflection too.

Great work Gareth!

Last edited:
Hot - Not normally a fan of hot cross buns but your photo makes me want to eat one! Very nice composition.
Light - Really like the bokeh of the lights. really great image, in could look at it for ages.
Crowded - That is a crowded jail! Colours are really good in this one. You can see the dogs head in the reflection too.

Great work Gareth!

Thank you kindly Dom....well done for spotting the dog contemplating his/her reflection! :clap:

Very cleverly thought out and executed Gareth. Sometimes, i'm in awe of people's mindset, as I just don't seem to be able to think so far outside of the box.

This is a wonderfully staged image. This crowded theme is well and truly very crowded - I love it

Hi Gareth
Some ones been cheating, The rules are in the box.

Must admit I thought it was a very clever idea, well executed as always.

Pete

Crowd
The last time we (5 adults and a 12yr girl) played monopoly, the adults lost to the ruthless child.
Your shot is nicely composed and I like the dof. The focus really is focused on the figures.

Very cleverly thought out and executed Gareth. Sometimes, i'm in awe of people's mindset, as I just don't seem to be able to think so far outside of the box.

This is a wonderfully staged image. This crowded theme is well and truly very crowded - I love it

Thank you so much for the kind words Ian, I really appreciate it!(y)

Hi Gareth
Some ones been cheating, The rules are in the box.

Must admit I thought it was a very clever idea, well executed as always.

Pete

Many thanks Pete, for the positive comments!
This was my chance to 'cheat' at Monopoly....I always end up being utterly humiliated....I usually feel so sorry for my fellow players when they land on my properties!!
So this image means...."no more mister nice guy!":giggle:

Very clever idea for CROWD. Well-staged and captured.

Thank you kindly Bob, appreciate the positive comment!(y)

Crowd
The last time we (5 adults and a 12yr girl) played monopoly, the adults lost to the ruthless child.
Your shot is nicely composed and I like the dof. The focus really is focused on the figures.

Thank you very much Dominic, for looking and commenting!(y)
Indeed, the most adorable, sweet-natured child becomes a monster when allowed near a Monopoly board....although I'll wager that the Risk board game is worse!!:giggle:

Week 19 - Decay(ed)

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

I just couldn't come up with any ideas for this theme, and was beginning to get desperate. So I went out to a place I've photographed before in the hope that something would happen.
Luckily I found quite a few subjects that could be a reasonably good fit for the theme.

These first images are what used to be the St. Andrews Asylum in Norwich.
It was founded in 1814 as the Norfolk County Asylum, then it became the Norfolk War Hospital from 1915 to 1919 after which it was renamed again as the Norfolk Mental Hospital, and finally in 1923 until 1998 was known as the St. Andrews Hospital.
As you can see, what is left today is in a terrible state of decay, with only the main entrance building still standing.

TP-52-2019 wk-19 - Decay 7

TP-52-2019 wk-19 - Decay 8

This is what is left of the outlying buildings....a decaying area of desolate wasteground.

TP-52-2019 wk-19 - Decay 11

I rather liked this tree....

TP-52-2019 wk-19 - Decay 10

Here is a charming little shelter in what might have been some lovely gardens, back in the day.

TP-52-2019 wk-19 - Decay 13

And finally, another building tucked away on the outer edge of the land is this....it's the morgue....and I think you'll agree, it's suitably creepy!

TP-52-2019 wk-19 - Decay 12

Last edited:
Here are some other images I took today.
The first one is by way of an homage to Andreas (@Manxmaid ) image of a tenacious little shoot growing out from a mighty tree....or perhaps it's a shameless rip-off, I haven't decided yet!!:giggle:

This is a tiny shoot growing from a decaying, moss covered log.

TP-52-2019 wk-19 - Decay 2

And this is a strange type of fungus, again growing on a decaying log....a different log this time....using my Sigma 105mm Macro lens, possibly for the technique.

TP-52-2019 wk-19 - Decay 1

And finally, while I was looking at yet another decaying log, I came across this adorable little zebra jumping spider (Salticus scenicus).
I was very excited to see one of these tiny little predators....it was difficult getting a decent composition - it kept jumping around - and I struggled with the macro lens (it's noisy OS) but I got some passable images...

Here's the best one....in my opinion...
It's quite heavily cropped - these things are tiny, about 3-4mm!!

TP-52-2019 wk-19 - Decay 4

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

Last edited:
Good shots for decay Gareth, my pick is the last one of the decaying log. Great close up showing the decay nicely, and very nice and colourful.

Thanks Dave, most appreciated.(y)
I was planning to just stick with the disused hospital images at first, but then I decided to go a bit farther afield and found this nice little hidden area full of decaying logs....perfect!!
Anyway, I thought I'd put the hospital images in here aswell, it's still an interesting place....if a little creepy!

Any of those decay shots fit, for me, some nice images there. The one you've chosen is a really nice macro shot and i'm presuming is some kind of fungus, so right on theme too.

Great shots this week Gareth, particuarly like the Macro shots, they've come out brilliantly, definitely works for me!

Some lovely images there Gareth. Great backstory and that looks like a very interesting place. Would love to get inside there :)

My favourites are the first one, showing off the building in all of it's 'decaying' glory, and the tiny shoot. Great macro with lovely colour and DOF. That spider is pretty cool too. Bet that was fun chasing it around

A nice set of photos you've taken, Gareth. Some really fit the theme well. There are lots of these type of buildings all over the country falling apart and abandoned. Its a shame really as they are solidly built and with traditional archirecture design. Out of the set I like the Shelter the best with its state of disrepair.

Gareth

You have done the business with this weeks theme.
Shame about those old buildings, I'm sure they could be used for something. I used to live near to Holloway Sanitoruim when I was young, grand old place and now homes.
Holloway Sanitorium

I like the new tree on old tree Image (Andreas (@Manxmaid ) Style) and I think the little spider is great.

The Image you picked fits the theme but is not the best for me.

You must have the Latest Sigma 105 Macro, the OS on mine is so silent, it's like there is none, which is true.

Pete

Wow what a set for this weeks theme. I love the shots around the deserted asylum. Love wondering around these place. Such a shame they get left like this though.

Any of those decay shots fit, for me, some nice images there. The one you've chosen is a really nice macro shot and i'm presuming is some kind of fungus, so right on theme too.

Thank you kindly Jim(y), kind of you to say....and you presume correctly, though I don't know what kind of fungus!

Great shots this week Gareth, particuarly like the Macro shots, they've come out brilliantly, definitely works for me!

Many thanks Daniel, most appreciated!(y)

Some lovely images there Gareth. Great backstory and that looks like a very interesting place. Would love to get inside there :)

My favourites are the first one, showing off the building in all of it's 'decaying' glory, and the tiny shoot. Great macro with lovely colour and DOF. That spider is pretty cool too. Bet that was fun chasing it around

Thank you very much Ian, it is indeed a fascinating building....I managed to gain access once....even managed to have my camera with me, but no tripod or flash, so nothing turned out that well unfortunately, and I became paranoid that I was going to get caught, so I was only in there for a few minutes!
There's nothing much in there really, just a load of broken up piles of wood and the detritus left behind after some 'ne'er do wells' have been up to no good!!:giggle:
If I get my act together, and bring a flash or two and a tripod, I think there's a good photo in there somewhere....I'll definitely be going back soon.

I couldn't believe my luck finding that little jumping spider....thought it was a fly at first, but when I saw it jumping around I knew straight away what it was.
I'd never seen one before, and now I know why....they're virtually impossible to spot being so tiny! I just so happened to be scrutinising a nice, decaying log and there it was!

Nice images Gareth - liking the colours and textures in the macro shots very much so!

Thank you most kindly Grant! (y)
It was a glorious day, and I got very lucky with the light. There was some lovely dappled light down the little path I was on...just so happened the fungus was in a nice bit of sunshine.

A nice set of photos you've taken, Gareth. Some really fit the theme well. There are lots of these type of buildings all over the country falling apart and abandoned. Its a shame really as they are solidly built and with traditional archirecture design. Out of the set I like the Shelter the best with its state of disrepair.

Thank you very much Stan, for looking and commenting.(y)
I agree, it's a shame that these buildings are deteriorating. This one in particular is owned by an ex-editor of the Daily Mail I believe. Despite how it looks, it has been (moderately) maintained....that is to say the security fencing is seemingly, continually being renewed/replaced, and the boards covering the windows and doors are regularly replaced too due to constant vandalism.
The land it's on is a prime area of industrial expansion however. There are a lot of new offices and businesses sprouting up very near to it, so I would hope that whomever owns it might consider retaining the character and renovating it....perhaps it could be a posh hotel or apartments as Pete (@seaodyssey below) says.

Gareth

You have done the business with this weeks theme.
Shame about those old buildings, I'm sure they could be used for something. I used to live near to Holloway Sanitoruim when I was young, grand old place and now homes.
Holloway Sanitorium

I like the new tree on old tree Image (Andreas (@Manxmaid ) Style) and I think the little spider is great.

The Image you picked fits the theme but is not the best for me.

You must have the Latest Sigma 105 Macro, the OS on mine is so silent, it's like there is none, which is true.

Pete

Thank you Pete, I appreciate the positive comments!(y)
I agree about the buildings, and I hope you're right regarding this old relic. If they would do something like the link you posted, then that would be tremendous....those look really nice (and very expensive)!
There is another part of the 'hospital', a little farther down the road, that was indeed turned into some nice apartments a few years ago....fingers crossed the present owner of this building goes down a similar route.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I sometimes think that the OS on mine isn't working....although I think perhaps it's just no good at macro distances....which kinda defeats the whole object really.
Still a cracking lens though!

Wow what a set for this weeks theme. I love the shots around the deserted asylum. Love wondering around these place. Such a shame they get left like this though.

Many thanks Chris for looking and commenting.(y)
It is a shame indeed. This building, however, is bound to be developed sooner or later....there's all sorts of offices and businesses popping up nearby, so it's only a matter of time.
I only hope that I can get organised and get inside for some spooky interior shots soon before it's too late!:giggle:

All shots fit the bill,
the standouts for me are the "tiny shoot" and the "tiny spider" can't fault them :clap:

That's a cracking set of shots for Decay Gareth. All are exceptional and the story behind the ones of the hospital are very interesting and a sad state of the times we live in. The one that stands out for me is the shelter. I love the way nature is making inroads to take the area back. Excellent photos :clap:

Hi Gareth, I'm soo far behind with commenting so just trying to go back 5 themes for all, otherwise I will still be here in a fortnight!

Above - I like both images but the first one take it for me. I really like the multi-coloured roofs of the stalls. Great info too:D
Hot - I like the comp with the slightly oof buns on the left. I want to get in and straighten the table cloth but maybe it adds a bit of interest :LOL:
Light - Cool effect makes great bokeh. I prefer the first two, as I like the blue bg
Crowd - Another good idea! I like that you went to the effort to set out the houses, cards and dosh. I don't remember there being so many counter things
Decay - A fine selection of decaying things. I really like the little new shoot, the sunlight on the log and the top of its leaves is just lovely. What a waste of a fine old building. Seems crazy that nothing has been done with it. Probably cost too much to restore :(

:D

Apologies for not responding sooner folks....been all go in the 'GarethB' house lately!

All shots fit the bill,
the standouts for me are the "tiny shoot" and the "tiny spider" can't fault them :clap:

Many thanks Allan, always appreciate your positive comments.(y)
I've since decided that the tiny shoot image is indeed a shameless rip-off of (@Manxmaid) Andrea's wonderful image! - click here. :giggle:
'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'
, as all dedicated plagiarists say!:giggle:

That's a cracking set of shots for Decay Gareth. All are exceptional and the story behind the ones of the hospital are very interesting and a sad state of the times we live in. The one that stands out for me is the shelter. I love the way nature is making inroads to take the area back. Excellent photos :clap:

Thank you kindly Lee, for your kind, positive comments!(y)
I wish I had spent more time photographing that shelter now....it does indeed have a certain charm to it.
It is curious to see that the only part of what was once a huge complex of buildings that is still standing, is the main entrance building.
It could be that perhaps that the owner has plans for it sooner or later....or perhaps it has some kind of listed status....not sure.
Still, it's an interesting old relic.

Hi Gareth, I'm soo far behind with commenting so just trying to go back 5 themes for all, otherwise I will still be here in a fortnight!

Above - I like both images but the first one take it for me. I really like the multi-coloured roofs of the stalls. Great info too:D
Hot - I like the comp with the slightly oof buns on the left. I want to get in and straighten the table cloth but maybe it adds a bit of interest :LOL:
Light - Cool effect makes great bokeh. I prefer the first two, as I like the blue bg
Crowd - Another good idea! I like that you went to the effort to set out the houses, cards and dosh. I don't remember there being so many counter things
Decay - A fine selection of decaying things. I really like the little new shoot, the sunlight on the log and the top of its leaves is just lovely. What a waste of a fine old building. Seems crazy that nothing has been done with it. Probably cost too much to restore :(

:D

Thank you very much for looking and commenting Georgina!
...so just trying to go back 5 themes for all...
I am always grateful to read any comments, but I don't expect it; indeed it's a privilege to receive comments from talented photographers like you and everyone else here, so I don't mind at all Georgina!:), I certainly appreciate all the time you and all the others dedicate to commenting here on the 52 forums.
By the way, I had quite a good giggle at your comment about the table cloth!!:LOL:
I probably shouldn't say how long I laboured over the folds in it!:sorry:
It looked rather 'flat' when it was....well....flat, so I gave it some folds/curves to create some interesting shadows!;)

Back