weekly GarethB's 52 challenge for 2019 - Week 51 & 52 - CHRISTMASSY & OUTTAKES - FINISHED!

Nice shot there, on first sight I was struggling to see the link to the theme, but i guess a clean shot is it. :)

That`s another well taken image from you Gareth, liking the mono and the shadows to keep it all going. The way your going you will be getting Lightroom 6 sooner :plus1:

Thank you Dave for your kind comments.(y)

Did you really mean me?!
Wow Dave...I'm lost for words!!
Your generosity is overwhelming.
I'm genuinely speechless!!!
Thank you Dave.:)

Super shot well lit!

Clean
I think you've done well. It is certainly a clean shot, very minimalistic, a good B/W conversion and I like the lighting.

Thank you Dave for your kind comments.(y)

Did you really mean me?!
Wow Dave...I'm lost for words!!
Your generosity is overwhelming.
I'm genuinely speechless!!!
Thank you Dave.:)

Yes Gareth I do mean YOU. Since you have started the 52 your images have been outstanding imo, you have a real talent and you are using it very well. So as Lightroom 6 Standalone is of no use to me now I`m all Fuji I`m sure you can put a good use to it, but you will have to give me a few days as I will have to get in contact with Adobe to tell them that I`m giving it to you.

Another excellent image, Gareth, and definitely 'clean'. I like the way you have arranged the scissors on the diagonal, the sharp reflection on a very clean surface, black and white is ideal for this subject and surface, and the lighting is what makes it really stand out in more ways than one :clap:

Lovely sharp well lit image.
Thank you Mandy!(y)
Trial and error with the lighting ! Think it’s really nice. I like the softness of the scissors !
Thanks Chris...yes, the scissors have a nice finish on them, not shiny but sort of like a brushed finish, but softer.(y)
Yep, I like that a lot. Really love the lighting and the black and white tones are great.
Thanks Carl, very much appreciated!(y)
Super shot well lit!
Thank you kindly Dave.(y)
Clean
I think you've done well. It is certainly a clean shot, very minimalistic, a good B/W conversion and I like the lighting.
Many thanks Dominic.(y)
Clean - I like this nice and simple and theres a few "cleans" with in the 1 image another strong image from you.
Thank you Mandy, very kind comments.(y)

Yes Gareth I do mean YOU. Since you have started the 52 your images have been outstanding imo, you have a real talent and you are using it very well. So as Lightroom 6 Standalone is of no use to me now I`m all Fuji I`m sure you can put a good use to it, but you will have to give me a few days as I will have to get in contact with Adobe to tell them that I`m giving it to you.
Dave, this is an extremely kind a generous gesture!
It's a tremendously powerful piece of software indeed!
I really appreciate your positive, supportive comments too...not just for me, but everyone, I'm sure I'm not alone in regarding you as one of the most highly regarded, respected, generous and most supportive members of this community!(y)
It is unfortunate that Adobe chooses not to support Fuji (one of the biggest oversights in our solar system quite frankly!) but I will endeavour to make you proud, and with your guidance (I only have anecdotal experience!) I'm sure my images and workflow will improve!
This is starting to get a bit gooey...maybe I should have put this in a PM!!!!:D

Nevertheless, I'm honoured that you considered me for such a generous gift, and also that you stated in a previous post that it would be on the condition that I successfully completed the 52 year...so there's no rush at all! Plenty of time for me to learn and pick your brains!! (This always struck me as a very strange turn of phrase!!)

Again, I thank you Dave, most wholeheartedly!!:)

Another excellent image, Gareth, and definitely 'clean'. I like the way you have arranged the scissors on the diagonal, the sharp reflection on a very clean surface, black and white is ideal for this subject and surface, and the lighting is what makes it really stand out in more ways than one :clap:
Thank you so much Andrea, exceedingly kind words!
I must have spent a couple of hours fiddling with the composition and the lighting...in fact I probably have around 50 or so 'rejected' images sitting on a hard drive...I can never seem to commit to culling them, though I will have to soon!!
I'm glad you like it Andrea, thanks again.:)

Love that first image for New, the bokeh balls make the shot.
The Clean image I'm not so keen on, personally I would have put a lock of hair in the image too. The mono conversion is nice though.

Dave, this is an extremely kind a generous gesture!
It's a tremendously powerful piece of software indeed!
I really appreciate your positive, supportive comments too...not just for me, but everyone, I'm sure I'm not alone in regarding you as one of the most highly regarded, respected, generous and most supportive members of this community!(y)
It is unfortunate that Adobe chooses not to support Fuji (one of the biggest oversights in our solar system quite frankly!) but I will endeavour to make you proud, and with your guidance (I only have anecdotal experience!) I'm sure my images and workflow will improve!
This is starting to get a bit gooey...maybe I should have put this in a PM!!!!:D

Nevertheless, I'm honoured that you considered me for such a generous gift, and also that you stated in a previous post that it would be on the condition that I successfully completed the 52 year...so there's no rush at all! Plenty of time for me to learn and pick your brains!! (This always struck me as a very strange turn of phrase!!)

Again, I thank you Dave, most wholeheartedly!!:)

You are more than welcome mate, can you PM me your full name as I will give it to Adobe for when you get LR6 @GarethB

Love that first image for New, the bokeh balls make the shot.
The Clean image I'm not so keen on, personally I would have put a lock of hair in the image too. The mono conversion is nice though.

Thanks for looking and commenting Jon, I appreciate your input.
I can see your point...it would have given it a bit more context, though what little hair I have left is rather precious now!..not sure I can spare any!!:LOL:

You are more than welcome mate, can you PM me your full name as I will give it to Adobe for when you get LR6 @GarethB

Will do Dave....on it's way now, and thanks again!:)

That is some image Gareth. I love the way that the lighting has worked and the way the scissors are beautifully sharp for the name in the centre and then the focus gently falls away ever so slightly for the far handle and the tip at the other end. A perfect mono conversion too. Bravo Sir! :clap:

That is some image Gareth. I love the way that the lighting has worked and the way the scissors are beautifully sharp for the name in the centre and then the focus gently falls away ever so slightly for the far handle and the tip at the other end. A perfect mono conversion too. Bravo Sir! :clap:

Thank you most kindly Lee for your positive comment.
I briefly considered a focus stacked image to get it all in sharp focus, but as it turned out, I rather like the focus falloff/DoF too...kind of compliments the lighting I think.

Nice take on the theme, Gareth. You've handled the lighting well.

Many thanks Stan for looking and commenting.(y)

Well done Gareth that's really super shot, I started off with 'clean cut' and scissors before I moved on to the pins as I couldn't get the scissors to look right. I take far too many photos and then spend about two hours deciding which one to use :) Youre off to a great start.

Thank you most kindly Susie, I appreciate your kind words.
Sounds like we have similar shooting styles! I get so attached to every photo I take...unless it's utterly appalling of course...and I've had more than my fair share of those I can tell you!!:D
Can't seem to bring myself to throw any away, but disc space is getting silly now, I'll have to be brave!!

I do like it Gareth. Very nice composition and light to it. Works perfectly as black and white, and another cleaver take on 'clean'

Hi Gareth

Images for both weeks are excellant. Like the colours in the new Image, nive and sharp and good bokeh. Wk2 Image You have great even tones, all nice and sharp.

Pete

Hi Gareth

Images for both weeks are excellant. Like the colours in the new Image, nive and sharp and good bokeh. Wk2 Image You have great even tones, all nice and sharp.

Pete

Thank you Pete, for looking and commenting, appreciated.(y)

That's a very elegant shot for clean. Not totally sure about the very bright section at the bottom, think I would have preferred that just a little darker but otherwise I like it a lot.

This is my favourite shot of the week, love the b/w and the image just stands out. Well done Gareth.

That's a very elegant shot for clean. Not totally sure about the very bright section at the bottom, think I would have preferred that just a little darker but otherwise I like it a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment Steve, appreciated.(y)
Good point - it's a tad bright...and kinda draws the eye away from the subject.

This is my favourite shot of the week, love the b/w and the image just stands out. Well done Gareth.

Thank you very much Andy, exceedingly kind words!(y)

Good start to your 52 Gareth nice bit of bokeh behind the electronic thingy, nice guide you wrote too not that I understand it but well done for taking the time to write it.
The scissor shot is spot on a lovely clean shot and really well lit very nice indeed.

Very well done Gareth. Perfect in mono, good dark shadow and I like the vignette effect created by the pool of light :D

Good start to your 52 Gareth nice bit of bokeh behind the electronic thingy, nice guide you wrote too not that I understand it but well done for taking the time to write it.
The scissor shot is spot on a lovely clean shot and really well lit very nice indeed.

Thank you very much Allan, I certainly appreciate your positive feedback.(y)

Clean - that's a strong image I like it the B/W works well

Thanks @minx for taking the time to look and comment, appreciated.(y)

Very well done Gareth. Perfect in mono, good dark shadow and I like the vignette effect created by the pool of light :D

Thank you most kindly Georgina, it lent itself rather well to mono as it was almost B&W anyway...I just boosted the contrast slightly and job done!
I appreciate you looking and commenting Georgina.(y)

Week 3 - OPEN (Mic)

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

Struggled again with this theme....every time I had an idea, one of you lot beat me to it!!:LOL:

I knew I'd have a use for that old microphone sooner or later, so here it is...

Open Mic
(Thank goodness for smoke-in-a-can too!)

open mic 6
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

I did clone out the light stands on this one...but went with them in the shot eventually...sort of felt more realistic.

open mic 5

Thought I'd do one portrait too, again not sure about it really...cropped out the lights, but kinda like the flare.

open mic 4

Thanks for looking and commenting folks!:)

Last edited:
That's great Gareth. Very good detail on that mic and as for the colours, wow! Lovely stuff

Great take on the theme, and very well executed, love the colours. Of the different shots, I actually like 4 the most.

Back