weekly GarethB's 52 challenge for 2019 - Week 51 & 52 - CHRISTMASSY & OUTTAKES - FINISHED!

Plenty of above words there enough to convince me o_O both of them work for me I won’t choose one over the other ax they both have their own merits

Apologies Gareth its been a while since I have stopped by!

Free - I don't know how you keep coming up with these ideas, but they are really good! Number 3 is my personal favourite as I like the transition from blue to purple.
Entrance - I like all the images, as others have said thought of back to the future instantly!
Young - Its funny to think about animals arguing, well caught moment! Well done for getting them sharp while moving.
Food - Both cracking images, I like both! nice reflections on the black tile, where as the white bg makes the everything stand out.
Smooth - Really nice image, not having tried it before it certainly looks hard! The car is nice and sharp with nice amount of bg and wheel blur. I'd be very happy with that!
Above - Both nice shots, I think I prefer above 3 as you can see a smidge more of the market stalls showing the height of the image. Some nice buildings there!

Very nice work Gareth!

Love the first one, especially that flint building - it looks fab. And I really like the tops of all the stalls.

Great shots for Above Gareth, particuarly like the second one although I do like the colours of the first too!! Great stuff!

Hi Gareth, I'm still here, hopefully finally catching up, its fatal to miss a few weeks.

Looking back, your image for the FREE week is a stunner, I absolutely love it, you put so much work into your shots and it really pays off that's a cracker :clap:

ENTRANCE definitely the first colour one, what is it about old doors they always look so fascinating, it makes you wonder who has walked in and out in the past. a really super find.

YOUNG I've got say a big wow again! the way you've captured the action really is superb. Gulls are the bane of our life with our pond and they can get very aggressive, I've been dive bombed a few times :mad:

FOOD I never thought broccoli could look so good, you have such an artistic eye, definitely the first one ....I love it.

SMOOTH Another one thats a credit to your thread, lots of action, speed, excitement, all captured perfectly. The colour of that car is fab too.

ABOVE Its hard to choose because I do love bright colour and the first one fits that bill, it also has the contrast of the old and the new so I think I'll go for that one.

Both cracking shots for above Gareth. I know what you mean about the lack of hills - it was one of the first things that struck me when our in-laws moved to Watton and we first visited them. After taking in both photos, I'm erring towards your second shot with the castle above those colourful roof tops in the foreground. Excellent shots :clap:

Lots of nice shapes and angle sin those stall roofs - fab!

Plenty of above words there enough to convince me o_O both of them work for me I won’t choose one over the other ax they both have their own merits

Many thanks Allan....I appreciate the comment, and above all thanks for looking....another quick above there....well, two actually!!:giggle:

Both images for above are very good and my pic is the #2 shot as love Norwich Castle looking from above over the town. A great POV and nicely taken.

Thank you kindly Dave, at the spot where I took that photo, there was a step ladder below me, which I was hoping someone would climb up! That didn't happen so I looked up and saw that view....nice how some scenes just fall into ones lap!!:giggle:

I prefer the first one with the colourful roofs contrast against the old classical buildings in the background.

Thank you Stan, very much appreciated!(y)

Apologies Gareth its been a while since I have stopped by!

Free - I don't know how you keep coming up with these ideas, but they are really good! Number 3 is my personal favourite as I like the transition from blue to purple.
Entrance - I like all the images, as others have said thought of back to the future instantly!
Young - Its funny to think about animals arguing, well caught moment! Well done for getting them sharp while moving.
Food - Both cracking images, I like both! nice reflections on the black tile, where as the white bg makes the everything stand out.
Smooth - Really nice image, not having tried it before it certainly looks hard! The car is nice and sharp with nice amount of bg and wheel blur. I'd be very happy with that!
Above - Both nice shots, I think I prefer above 3 as you can see a smidge more of the market stalls showing the height of the image. Some nice buildings there!

Very nice work Gareth!

Thank you very much Dom! No need to apologise, I am very grateful for the time you spent looking and commenting!(y)

Love the first one, especially that flint building - it looks fab. And I really like the tops of all the stalls.

Thank you most kindly Joan! (y)
Indeed, the flint building is terrific....it's fortunate that you can't see the big, untidy taxi rank just outside it from that angle!:giggle:

Great shots for Above Gareth, particuarly like the second one although I do like the colours of the first too!! Great stuff!

Many thanks Daniel, for taking the time to look and comment, most appreciated!(y)

Hi Gareth, I'm still here, hopefully finally catching up, its fatal to miss a few weeks.

Looking back, your image for the FREE week is a stunner, I absolutely love it, you put so much work into your shots and it really pays off that's a cracker :clap:

ENTRANCE definitely the first colour one, what is it about old doors they always look so fascinating, it makes you wonder who has walked in and out in the past. a really super find.

YOUNG I've got say a big wow again! the way you've captured the action really is superb. Gulls are the bane of our life with our pond and they can get very aggressive, I've been dive bombed a few times :mad:

FOOD I never thought broccoli could look so good, you have such an artistic eye, definitely the first one ....I love it.

SMOOTH Another one thats a credit to your thread, lots of action, speed, excitement, all captured perfectly. The colour of that car is fab too.

ABOVE Its hard to choose because I do love bright colour and the first one fits that bill, it also has the contrast of the old and the new so I think I'll go for that one.

Thank you so much Susie, I really appreciate your positive, kind comments!(y)
I certainly appreciate the effort in catching up too, it's a lot of work, especially after a few weeks!
And I'm glad you're still here too!:giggle:

Both cracking shots for above Gareth. I know what you mean about the lack of hills - it was one of the first things that struck me when our in-laws moved to Watton and we first visited them. After taking in both photos, I'm erring towards your second shot with the castle above those colourful roof tops in the foreground. Excellent shots :clap:

Thank you kindly Lee, appreciate your positive comments!
Yep it's certainly flat round here!!:giggle:
Although north Norfolk is a bit more hilly.... 'hilly' is perhaps a little optimistic however!!:LOL:

Lots of nice shapes and angle sin those stall roofs - fab!

Many Thanks Dave, I really appreciate your comments, cheers!(y)

Above
I like the first shot. The market stall/awning rooves lead you all the way down to the buildings at the end.

Above
I like the first shot. The market stall/awning rooves lead you all the way down to the buildings at the end.

Hot
Love it and love a toasted hot cross bun.

Thank you Dominic, appreciate the comments....perhaps I should have sliced the bun open and let some butter melt onto it....oh well, maybe next year!!:giggle:

I think it would have been better if you had sliced it and toasted it But still a good picture and a nice idea.

Not a fan of the Hot Cross things - but a nice shot of them!

ABOVE - good knowledge of local history!! I think the first, the contrast with the colours in the foreground, as pointed out.
HOT - Great idea for the theme, and the dof is spot on.

Hot - nice topical picture, almost taste them from here!

Thank you Mark, much appreciated!(y)

Hot cross buns, a clever take on theme Gareth and very nice bit of Dof while keeping the main focus on the bun.

Many thanks Dave, for the positive comments!(y)

I think it would have been better if you had sliced it and toasted it But still a good picture and a nice idea.

Thank you Allan, indeed, I wish I had have sliced it and buttered it....I briefly toyed with the idea of having a wisp of steam rising from it, but I would have needed to shoot it against a dark BG, and I wanted the fresh. clean high key look.

Very apt and topical for the time of year. I like the setup and the composition too.

Many thanks Stan, appreciate the positive comment!(y)

Not a fan of the Hot Cross things - but a nice shot of them!

Thank you Dave....I'm not either....I stole them off of my Mum!:giggle:

ABOVE - good knowledge of local history!! I think the first, the contrast with the colours in the foreground, as pointed out.
HOT - Great idea for the theme, and the dof is spot on.

Thank you kindly Bob, appreciate you looking and commenting.(y)

Great shot for Hot Gareth. A clever take on the theme and a very nice composition (y)

Thanks Lee, certainly appreciate the positive comments!(y)

And I nearly did beat you to it Gareth. Lovely bright image, with plenty to look at. Great Spring vibe to it

Well thought shot for Hot Gareth, definitely one of those "why didn't I do that!?" shots, especially as it's easter!!

And I nearly did beat you to it Gareth. Lovely bright image, with plenty to look at. Great Spring vibe to it

Thank you kindly Ian....I knew time was a critical factor!!:giggle:

Well thought shot for Hot Gareth, definitely one of those "why didn't I do that!?" shots, especially as it's easter!!

Thank you Daniel, appreciate the positive comment.(y)

Gareth, hot cross bun spot on. Must admit I do like these only if there toasted. The wife thinks they shouldn’t be !

Thank you Chris for looking and commenting....ahh yes....the divisive topic of 'to toast or not to toast'!!:giggle:

Week 17 - Light

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

Here is my entry for the light theme....'points of light'
Does anyone remember those fibre optic lamps from the seventies? This is one of those.
My Mum was kind enough to rummage around and dug out the one she had bought in Germany in the early seventies.
I really liked the way the points of light created some interesting bokeh ball shapes.
They were shot with a Sigma 105mm macro lens and a single flash with a blue gel for some colour contrast.

TP-52-2019 wk-17 - Light 1
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

TP-52-2019 wk-17 - Light 2

This one was taken without the flash....the white balance was fairly neutral, so the warm colour is from the lamp itself.

TP-52-2019 wk-17 - Light 3

Bit of psychedelic one next....just an blue overlay in PS and set to 'difference' mode....pretty funky!:giggle:

TP-52-2019 wk-17 - Light 4

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

Wow great stuff Gareth, love the creativity! The round bokeh is spot on too, nice one. It looks like one of the background you download for your phone!

Very creative as usual, Gareth. I think you've nailed them all, but the first is my pick. It's got lots of bokeh balls and some sharp lights in the centre, which I think works really well.

All very good, nice idea for the theme it does indeed look like a BG for a phone

Light
For me, there's something about the first one, that stands out against the rest (but I can't put my finger on it as to why).
Very creative take on the theme.

Super duper abstract for light :)

Wow great stuff Gareth, love the creativity! The round bokeh is spot on too, nice one. It looks like one of the background you download for your phone!

Thank you very much Daniel, very kind of you to say!(y)
Mobile phone backgrounds you say....hmm....wonder if there's any money in that?
Hey....wanna buy it?:LOL:

Very creative as usual, Gareth. I think you've nailed them all, but the first is my pick. It's got lots of bokeh balls and some sharp lights in the centre, which I think works really well.

Many thanks Carl for the positive comments, glad you like them....I might have gone a bit too far with the fourth image though!!:giggle:

Very clever idea and very creative too. :clap:All those perfectly round bokeh contrast nicely against the straight light streaks.

Thank you most kindly Stan, I appreciate the positive comments!(y)
Who doesn't like some nice bokeh balls?!:giggle:

All very good, nice idea for the theme it does indeed look like a BG for a phone

Many thanks Allan for looking and commenting, very much appreciated.(y)
Better get on the mobile background gravy train....I'll cut you and Daniel in when I make my first million!!:LOL:

Light
For me, there's something about the first one, that stands out against the rest (but I can't put my finger on it as to why).
Very creative take on the theme.

Thank you very much Dominic, most appreciated!(y)
I took about fifty images of different angles with lots of different patterns of bokeh and lighting etc.
It's something that I could have spent all night doing to be honest....I found it strangely hypnotic and was almost in a trance like state!!
I think I will definitely be experimenting further with lighting and backgrounds....it's so relaxing!
Although I will probably lay off the 'over' processing as seen in the fourth image!!:giggle:

Agree with whats been said, all are great and nicely taken shots Gareth. You nailed the lighting beautifully and all are bang on.

Thank you most kindly Dave, I was quite pleased with how they turned out....and the setup wasn't that fiddly either.
I basically set a light stand with the flash pointing downwards at around 45° camera right, then just got right in there with the macro lens wide open.

Super duper abstract for light :)

Many thanks Dave for looking and commenting!(y)

Mega creative, great pictures

Thank you most kindly Mark, for the very positive comment!(y)

Cracking image for Light Gareth. Too creative and super sharp. That lens has got a lovely bokeh. I think you first one is spot on!

Many thanks Lee for the positive comment!(y)
Indeed the Sigma 105mm macro is jolly decent and I've been very happy with the results.
For the money, nothing comes close in performance....I think it's the bargain of the century!!
Only gripe is it's noisy OS, which makes it tricky for insect macro.

Those light images are so damn cool Gareth. They would look incredible, printed and framed and hung in the Tate. Great idea.

Great shot, something a little different, and all the better for that :)

Back