weekly GarethB's 52 challenge for 2019 - Week 51 & 52 - CHRISTMASSY & OUTTAKES - FINISHED!

Very bright image Gareth. Hurts my eyes a bit that yellow, but then I am a bit tired! Certainly makes the flower stand out. I think the brown bits on a stalk are the stamens.

Flower
Good background, it compliments the green. I like how it darkens on the right hand side.

Thanks Dominic...I 'might' have added an extra touch of grad on the right!;)

The yellow BG really does make this a good image Gareth, nice and sharp where it should be so a good choice and great shot.

Thank you most kindly Dave, I really appreciate the positive comment!(y)

Nice take on the theme, liking the background :)

Many thanks Rick, most appreciated!(y)

Nice and sharp. Interesting gradient to the background. And even a bit of subtle colour matching. :)

Thank you Tim, yes, there is a tiny touch of colour matching, I elected to go a touch warmer with the 'ever-so-slight' gradient overlay on the background though.

Very bright image Gareth. Hurts my eyes a bit that yellow, but then I am a bit tired! Certainly makes the flower stand out. I think the brown bits on a stalk are the stamens.

Thank you Joan for the comment, and I'm sorry about your eyes!
full

I think I must have missed the lesson on subtlety of colour!:D

Hi Gareth

As always a superb Image, looks better on Flickr.

Pete

Thank you most kindly Pete, really appreciated!(y)

That yellow bg was a great choice Gareth, I like how well t sets the ivy off, very well lit too. Really like it!

Many thanks Michael!(y)
I tried quite a few background colours...the yellow just screamed out to be picked!:giggle:

Week 39 - Dull

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

This is me sharpening the dull blade of my favourite axe.
Actually it's a bit of a cheat...I blended a few images together since the sparks weren't that impressive in any single image.
And it was a nightmare getting my fingers reasonably sharp, with the slower shutter speeds...this is one of the better ones, but it's not perfect.
Throughout the process of taking about 150 images, I think I might have reduced the weight of this axe considerably...but at least it's sharp now...I could probably shave with it!:D

TP-52-2019 wk-39 - Dull 2
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

That is a VERY nice image Gareth. Well worth the trouble. I went out to get mine today but was a bit stymied! Will try again tomorrow!

That is a VERY nice image Gareth. Well worth the trouble. I went out to get mine today but was a bit stymied! Will try again tomorrow!

Thank you most kindly Joan!(y)
Best of luck for tomorrow!

Great action Gareth, well worth the effort, I also like the other version on your flickr stream. But I prefer this image for the placement of the handle. Only thing I would pick upon are the small part of your finger showing on the rhs and and the area of the bg at the very top on the lhs.

Many thanks Michael!(y)
I see what you mean now...I should have cropped it a tiny bit!:facepalm:
I chose this one rather than the other because of the shiny bit of the blade, though my hand position is probably better in the other image.

That's a great image, 150 shots - wow! The detail in the sparks is excellent.

Nice shot for Dull Gareth!

That's a great image, 150 shots - wow! The detail in the sparks is excellent.

Thank you Mark, I appreciate the positive comment!(y)

That's a fabulous image and you've done an excellent job in post-processing. I don't mind the blurry fingers it indicates your hand movement and working the axe.

Thank you most kindly Stan!(y)

Nice shot for Dull Gareth!

Many thanks Dave, most appreciated!(y)

Even though it was ONLY 150 shots :D It is a cracking shot and well put together Gareth, love the flying sparks coming off it too.

Many thanks Dave!(y)
Taking a lot (too many?) shots seems to be a regular pattern for me...for the sake of my shutter mechanism, I should probably try to cut down!:D

I agree with the comments, the fingers being slightly blurred works for this kind of thing, it would have to be a slow shutter and thus movement would be expected and gives it life. Great work with the pp and blending :)

Dull is a great shot and imaginative take not he theme too. Well done :)

Dull
Not something I had thought about (a dull blade), so a good bit of lateral thinking.
There's nothing wrong with blending images together. It's what you end up with that matters and You've ended up with a very good photo.

Excellent take on dull, really like that, your poor shutter though :wideyed:
I use tools in work all the time and this never crossed my mind, I'm an idiot :oops: :$

I agree with the comments, the fingers being slightly blurred works for this kind of thing, it would have to be a slow shutter and thus movement would be expected and gives it life. Great work with the pp and blending :)

Thanks Tim(y)
I probably did indeed (needlessly) try too hard to get everything sharp (pun intended! ;))...explains the 150 shots I took!

Dull is a great shot and imaginative take not he theme too. Well done :)

Thank you kindly Rick, very much appreciated!(y)

Dull
Not something I had thought about (a dull blade), so a good bit of lateral thinking.
There's nothing wrong with blending images together. It's what you end up with that matters and You've ended up with a very good photo.

Many thanks Dominic.(y)
I was going to do a macro of a dull knife blade first...but I think that would have been far too dull!!:D

Excellent take on dull, really like that, your poor shutter though :wideyed:
I use tools in work all the time and this never crossed my mind, I'm an idiot :oops: :$

Thank you kindly Allan.(y)
I'm trying not to think what my shutter count might be these days!:D

Hi Gareth,

You've posted some fantastic shots since I last visited.
I love the thinking behind Empty. Nice bit of photoshoppery too. Soft is fab too. The third one for me with all the colours. Old with the flint path is a great shot. I really like the low PoV. That's a cracking shot for flower. Great colours! Dull is a great creative shot too. Very well lit.

Hi Gareth,

You've posted some fantastic shots since I last visited.
I love the thinking behind Empty. Nice bit of photoshoppery too. Soft is fab too. The third one for me with all the colours. Old with the flint path is a great shot. I really like the low PoV. That's a cracking shot for flower. Great colours! Dull is a great creative shot too. Very well lit.

Thank you most kindly Lee, very much appreciated.(y)

Super shot for DULL!! Favourite axe? Mmmm, well I guess you have more than one!

Many thanks Bob, for the positive comment!(y)
I have two, but surely everyone has a favourite axe?:D

Week 40 - Snappers Choice

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

I've had some computer issues (and other stuff) recently, so I've fallen a bit behind lately.
I didn't want to rely on archive shots, but I just haven't had the time these past few weeks, so to avoid getting further behind, I've had a trawl through to find some images that would fit, hope they're ok.:)

First, snappers choice.
Here's two that I quite liked...you may recognise the items in them.
The first being the forks for the 'plastic' theme in week 33.

TP-52-2019 wk-40 - Snappers Choice (2)

And a second one, which is another abstract composition made up of the paper shapes I used all the way back in week 10 and the 'snappers choice' theme again.

TP-52-2019 wk-40 - Snappers Choice (3)

...contd.

Last edited:
all of those are lovely Gareth, I particularly like the abstracts.

An excellent catch up, they all look very good to me. Near is my favourite

I like Song but then I am very fond of robins!! Welcome back. Computer issues all sorted?

all of those are lovely Gareth, I particularly like the abstracts.

Thanks very much Jim, much appreciated!

Loving the abstracts Gareth, and the robin shot you could say Rocking Robin :D(y)(y)

Many thanks Dave!
Rockin' Robin...by The Jackson 5...that's a much better idea!
I seem to have massively misinterpreted the theme this week!:facepalm:

An excellent catch up, they all look very good to me. Near is my favourite

Thank you kindly Mark!
Near is a bit near of the mark!:D

I like Song but then I am very fond of robins!! Welcome back. Computer issues all sorted?

Thank you very much Joan!
After a stressful time, my computer woes are thankfully behind me!
I was never that diligent when it comes to backing up, but fortunately I did have everything backed up from a short time ago.
I thank my lucky stars that I did...otherwise I would have lost everything!
I will regularly back everything up from now on though!

Nice catch up liking the paper abstract and I think the song interpretation is fine even though you didn’t quite understand it

Hi Gareth,
  • Free Week - I thought it looked vaguely familiar, it is typically 'you' in that it has great vibrancy :)
  • Near - That's a very clever shoe horn, I love it... Cool shot too. Yet again, it's typically you.
  • Song - Whereas this shot isn't in your usual style (comfort zone?). Nicely done, seems pretty sharp. Quite impressive to pull off 1/125th at 900mm effective FL.

Great catch up shots. I like the paper shape shot the best, but all are spot on.

Nice set of catch-up shots, Gareth.

Free; I thought the paper abstract looks familiar but still a fantastic image.
Near; TBH, that's the best/worst shoehorn so far this year unless Dave70D can do better. :LOL:
Song; My initial impression was 'Rocking Robin' but having read your posts in the main Discussion Thread it turned out to be an honest mistake. :)

Hi Gareth

I'm glad you having your computing all sorted out now as I have missed your excellent Images these past few weeks.
Who has a favourite Axe??? I have only one so I suppose it must be my favourite and like yours its as dull as a rubber knife. Good balance of colours and the sparks look good. Overall a nice Image.
I prefer the Blue paper thingy in your Snappers Choice, it is a good strong shade of blue and the curves are well defined.
Rocking Robin, Dave came to your rescue there, but he is a cute bird, with nice details in his feathers.

Pete

Hi Gareth,
  • Free Week - I thought it looked vaguely familiar, it is typically 'you' in that it has great vibrancy :)
  • Near - That's a very clever shoe horn, I love it... Cool shot too. Yet again, it's typically you.
  • Song - Whereas this shot isn't in your usual style (comfort zone?). Nicely done, seems pretty sharp. Quite impressive to pull off 1/125th at 900mm effective FL.

Thank you Tim, for the great comments!(y)
Indeed, 'Song' was a long shot!!:D

Great catch up shots. I like the paper shape shot the best, but all are spot on.

Many thanks Rick, appreciate the positive comment.(y)
I enjoyed working with those paper shapes....might revisit the idea.

Nice set of catch-up shots, Gareth.

Free; I thought the paper abstract looks familiar but still a fantastic image.
Near; TBH, that's the best/worst shoehorn so far this year unless Dave70D can do better. :LOL:
Song; My initial impression was 'Rocking Robin' but having read your posts in the main Discussion Thread it turned out to be an honest mistake. :)

Thank you kindly Stan!(y)
rpn said:
... that's the best/worst shoehorn so far this year ...
I feel so very proud!!:D

Hi Gareth

I'm glad you having your computing all sorted out now as I have missed your excellent Images these past few weeks.
Who has a favourite Axe??? I have only one so I suppose it must be my favourite and like yours its as dull as a rubber knife. Good balance of colours and the sparks look good. Overall a nice Image.
I prefer the Blue paper thingy in your Snappers Choice, it is a good strong shade of blue and the curves are well defined.
Rocking Robin, Dave came to your rescue there, but he is a cute bird, with nice details in his feathers.

Pete

Thank you very much Pete, really appreciate the comments!(y)
"Who has a favourite axe?" you ask? I suppose I should have put a smiley in my original post, 'cause now everyone's thinking I'm some sort of crazed headcase with a drawer full of 'em!!:ROFLMAO: (Which I'm not and I don't!!!)
I have two axes however...one is beyond repair though. But the one in my image is definitely my favourite :D...mmm...shiny axe!!:p
And indeed, @Dave70D bailed me out with the 'Song' image....thanks Dave!;)

Great shot Gareth. Love that (y)

Many thanks Patrick, most appreciated!(y)

Always nice to see a Billy Bobbin :D

Back