weekly GarethB's 52 challenge for 2019 - Week 51 & 52 - CHRISTMASSY & OUTTAKES - FINISHED!

Hi Gareth,

Free - A cracking bit of Fork-tography there :D The folder paper one is great too. I admire your patience!
Near - Thats a clever take on the theme and works for me.
Song - Another great shot. Beautifully sharp.

Snappers choice
Both photos have a very graphical look, I like them both.

Near
Ok, so it may be a bit of a shoey, but it's a great shot and I'm liking the pov.

Song
Good Robin shot, it's a shame about the twig that cuts across it though.

Always nice to see a Billy Bobbin :D

Many thanks Dave!(y)

Hi Gareth,

Free - A cracking bit of Fork-tography there :D The folder paper one is great too. I admire your patience!
Near - Thats a clever take on the theme and works for me.
Song - Another great shot. Beautifully sharp.

Thank you most kindly Lee!(y)
Lee also said:
Fork-tography
This is almost a spectacular spoonerism! Or should that be a 'forkerism'?:D

Snappers choice
Both photos have a very graphical look, I like them both.

Near
Ok, so it may be a bit of a shoey, but it's a great shot and I'm liking the pov.

Song
Good Robin shot, it's a shame about the twig that cuts across it though.

Thank you Dominic for the positive comments!(y)
Yep, fair point on the 'song' image....boo, bad twig, bad!!:LOL:

Week 43 - Borrowed

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

Here is my image for the borrowed theme - Borrowed Chord.

I was going to drone on and list all the excuses reasons I had for how you can indeed photograph a 'borrowed' chord, and why the image doesn't necessarily show a 'borrowed' chord...but I won't, you'll just have to take my word for it!!:D
Suffice to say that a 'borrowed' chord (otherwise known as a modal interchange amongst other definitions) is where one uses a chord from a parallel key to give a certain feel to ones music, for instance, mystery or melancholy perhaps.
It's a widely used technique, and for a good example, have a listen to 'Creep' by Radiohead.

**Disclaimer: I am not a proper musician, so apologies to those who are**

TP-52-2019 wk-43 - Borrowed
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

That explanation has gone right over my head but I love the image! Very nicely composed.

I'll take your word for a borrowed chord, I have no idea! Great shot, the shallow depth draws the eye to the fingers, and the lighting is just right. Spot on.

Nice Bass shot. I don't really associate chords with bass but my lad who has an MA in music and teaches guitar assures me I should and says it's still a chord if you don't strum it - or summat :)

A really nice photo focus and DoF are excellent,
I do have a slight idea of what your talking about but I'm not a proper musician either :whistle:

That explanation has gone right over my head but I love the image! Very nicely composed.

Thanks Joan!(y)
I won't lie...I only learned what it meant a few days ago!!:D

I'll take your word for a borrowed chord, I have no idea! Great shot, the shallow depth draws the eye to the fingers, and the lighting is just right. Spot on.

Many thanks Mark!(y)
Again...it was one of those '100-150 shot images'....kept missing focus on my hand.
It did briefly occur to me that I might be able to 'borrow' a hand...but it fell through at the last minute!!:D

Nice Bass shot. I don't really associate chords with bass but my lad who has an MA in music and teaches guitar assures me I should and says it's still a chord if you don't strum it - or summat :)

Thanks Dave, most appreciated.(y)
I agree, basses aren't normally associated with chords, but as your lad says they can be if you play it right!
Furthermore, if I owned an acoustic, I would have done it with that....but I don't, so I didn't!:D

I'm with Joan and no idea you're talking about 'borrowed chord' but image-wise its a great shot. Nicely lit, good focus and perfect depth-of-field.

Thank you kindly Stan!(y)
You can count me amongst you and Joan too...until a week ago, I had never heard of it either!:LOL:

A really nice photo focus and DoF are excellent,
I do have a slight idea of what your talking about but I'm not a proper musician either :whistle:

Many thanks Allan!(y)
I love not being a proper musician...and preaching to people about things that I have only just learned myself!!:ROFLMAO:

Cracking image indeed for borrowed, and I also have no idea as I only take shots of musicians but I love the whole image.

Thanks very much Dave!(y)
Being as you only take shots of real musicians...I should probably apologise for what you have seen!!:ROFLMAO:

Lovely picture for borrowed Gareth, nice lighting and great composition.

Thank you kindly Michael, most appreciated!(y)

Borrowed is a real nice image, expert control of light, bokeh and composition - fantastic!

Week 44 - Spooky

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

I was feeling a bit rough the other day, so I thought it would be appropriate for the spooky theme to snap a selfie....since I looked a bit peeky...

TP-52-2019 wk-44 - Spooky
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

I'm feeling better now thankfully!!:D

This was inspired by the character named 'Kurt Barlow' from the 1979 film (miniseries) Salems Lot.
I'm not a huge fan of vampire films, but this is by far the best vampire ever portrayed in a movie in my opinion...it's such a disgusting looking creature, and so terrifying!
Hopefully I'm not far off looking as evil and disgusting in this image!!:ROFLMAO:

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

Ooooh - very Nosferatu! Love it :D

Brilliant shot Gareth. Top job!

Gosh - wouldn't like to meet either you or @-Oy- in the dark! You two really have gone to town on it!

Thank you Joan...I'll take that as a compliment!!:D

Ooooh - very Nosferatu! Love it :D

Many thanks Dave, Nosferatu is the daddy of all vampires!!:giggle:

Brilliant shot Gareth. Top job!

Thank you Rick, most appreciated!(y)

Bloody hell Gareth, that really made me jump as that is spooky and scary as hell, you did a fantastic shot and bit of PP to really make it. Salems Lot was a classic.

Thank you most kindly Dave!(y)

What do you mean PP?
That's how I normally look!!:D
At least I think I do....none of the mirrors in my spooky castle house seem to work!!:ROFLMAO:

Nice work from yourself not so much from your dentist

Thanks Allan, very much appreciated!!(y)
My dentist won't see me after dark...what am I supposed to do?!:D

Fortunately (or rather unfortunately) from a post processing standpoint, my teeth were already horribly discoloured and wonky!!:ROFLMAO:

Brilliant Gareth, great effect and bang on theme!

Thank you kindly Michael!(y)

Great selfie (although you could have had a shave, and, is this a shoehorn? ;) ) very creative

Blimey, that's terrifying! I hope you're feeling better. Great picture and bang on theme

Well what can I say, maybe you need a bit more sleep?
It's a great photo, the work you've put into it really has paid off. I applaud your dedication to the theme.

Brilliant photo for Borrowed Gareth. Really good thinking and spot on focus & exposure. What Bass do you have? It looks nice. I have a very ratty Vox fretless but I haven't touched it in years!

Spooky - Simply stunning photoshoppery Gareth! You pulled another incredible shot out of the bag (y)

Great selfie (although you could have had a shave, and, is this a shoehorn? ;) ) very creative

Many thanks Jim!(y)
I did think about shaving....my head too...but my mirror doesn't work!!:LOL:

Blimey, that's terrifying! I hope you're feeling better. Great picture and bang on theme

Thank you kindly Mark!(y)
Feeling much better now thanks....the 'wooden stake' therapy has worked wonders!:D

Well what can I say, maybe you need a bit more sleep?

But I sleep all day...must be my circadian rhythm...or something!:LOL:

Nostromo also said:
It's a great photo, the work you've put into it really has paid off. I applaud your dedication to the theme.

Thank you very much Dominic, most appreciated!(y)

Brilliant photo for Borrowed Gareth. Really good thinking and spot on focus & exposure. What Bass do you have? It looks nice. I have a very ratty Vox fretless but I haven't touched it in years!

Spooky - Simply stunning photoshoppery Gareth! You pulled another incredible shot out of the bag (y)

Many thanks Lee!(y)
The bass shot was tricky to get the focus right...one hand holding the shutter release and the other on the neck...took quite a few tries!
The bass is a Yamaha BBG4SII, which I too hadn't picked up for quite a while.
Vox fretless bass you say? Nice!
Pinpoint fingering needed I would think....(there's a sentence I thought I'd never need to type!):LOL:
I have trouble hitting my notes with a fretted bass!!:LOL:

That is very spooky, good to see you have had your teeth fixed.

Thank you Clive for the positive comment!(y)
Yep...my dentist is a genius! You'd never know the right one is a crown...or is the left one?
He matched the disgusting discolouration and wonkyness perfectly!:LOL:

That's the best selfie I've seen for a long time. :LOL:

Thank you Stan(y)...that's very flattering!!:LOL:

rpn also said:
Excellent processing and a fantastic idea for the theme, you must've put in a lot of thoughts and pp work into it. :clap:

Thanks, indeed it took a couple of hours, and about 40 layers in total!
The 'liquify' tool in photoshop is amazing!
Each individual element was processed separately....each tooth had four or five layers, and each eye had about ten each.
Plus my head and ear were stretched about a bit too.
Finally there were several flaky/cracked skin texture overlays too....my skin isn't quite that bad!!:LOL:

Last edited:
I like it - nice colours - strong diagonal - bang on theme :D

Great take on the theme, and superb colours as always :)

Lovely colours in the image. Thought about straws for this one as well but did not have any in the house or know where to get them locally. Too late as well to get them out of a field!

Hi Gareth

Spooky, great Image and lots of work which was worth it.
Short, another great image, love the colours and I see they are those horrible paper straws, thus saving the panet as well.

Pete

I like it - nice colours - strong diagonal - bang on theme :D

Many thanks Dave!(y)
I do so love me a strong diagonal!:giggle:

Great colour and as always excellent attention to detail

Thank you kindly Allan, very nice of you to say!(y)

Love the colour there Gareth, nicely composed and that tile makes for a great bg.

Thank you Michael, for the positive comment!
Besides my camera, that tile is the most used bit of kit I own!!:LOL:

Great take on the theme, and superb colours as always :)

Thank you Rick, most appreciated!(y)

Lovely colours in the image. Thought about straws for this one as well but did not have any in the house or know where to get them locally. Too late as well to get them out of a field!

Thanks Joan for the nice comment!(y)
I too thought about trying to get some field straw (is that even the right term?...probably not!!:LOL:) but everything has gone all brown and mushy round my way!!
Had to go and buy these new fangled paper straws from Tesco....two blimming quid they cost!! I'm going to have to throw a party now, to get some use out of them!!:LOL:

Hi Gareth

Spooky, great Image and lots of work which was worth it.
Short, another great image, love the colours and I see they are those horrible paper straws, thus saving the panet as well.

Pete

Thank you kindly Pete, very much appreciated!(y)
Yep, ruddy paper straws!!:facepalm:
Not cheap either...two quid for 80, from Tesco....but, as you say, I've done my bit for the planet....those eco-warriors ain't got nothin' on me!!:LOL:

Great idea, colours and composition. An excellent take on the theme (why didn't I think of it?!!)

Back