weekly GarethB's 52 challenge for 2020 - Week 4 - Discarded

Well you definitely achieved your aim of showing the clean sharp edges - that is sharp as a sharp thing!

Thank you most kindly Fi!
Daysleeper40 also said:
....sharp as a sharp thing!
Quite right, and when a sharp thing as sharp as this sharp thing, is as sharp as a sharp thing, it really is a sharp thing indeed!:LOL:

Very professional look shot the detail in the metal of the machining marks are brilliant. Very nice indeed.

pleasure - I like that photo of the deserted and slightly dilapidated 'pleasure beach', great composition, great colours!

tool - well lit and very sharp!

Hi Gareth, my first thought on seeing this was "They look brand new" so you definitely conveyed that fact! You've also done a perfect job of controlling the light and highlights, showing the details and different textures, and the angle and shadow make it look almost 3D on the screen. It could be an advertising shot :claps:

Very good pro-looking shot.

Thank you Bob, always appreciated!(y)

Very professional look shot the detail in the metal of the machining marks are brilliant. Very nice indeed.

Thanks Mark, very kind of you to say!(y)

They certainly look new! Very crisp image and nicely lit.

Thank you kindly Helen!(y)
Indeed, I have been reluctant to use them for fear of wearing them out!:LOL:

pleasure - I like that photo of the deserted and slightly dilapidated 'pleasure beach', great composition, great colours!

tool - well lit and very sharp!

Thank you Bernd, for the positive comments!(y)

Great close-up with lovely lighting and processing. Mono works well too.

Thanks Pete, jolly decent of you to say!(y)

Hi Gareth, my first thought on seeing this was "They look brand new" so you definitely conveyed that fact! You've also done a perfect job of controlling the light and highlights, showing the details and different textures, and the angle and shadow make it look almost 3D on the screen. It could be an advertising shot :claps:

Thank you most kindly Andrea, for the kind words!(y)
It did do a little tweaking of the lighting to get the separation of the black tool from the black background, and keep the highlights where I wanted them...glad you like it!:)

Last edited:
Week 4 - Discarded

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

I had thought of doing something featuring 'discarded technology' but Stuart (@StuartPearson ) stole it got there first!!:LOL:
Specifically, mine too featured discarded VHS tapes.

I will therefore call these simply 'Please Rewind'.
(Forgive me for the 'throwaway title'! ;))

This took a long time to unwind...it was an old BASF 300 minute cassette!
(I didn't rewind it all, before you ask! :LOL: )

TP-52-2020 wk-4 - Discarded 3
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

TP-52-2020 wk-4 - Discarded 2

TP-52-2020 wk-4 - Discarded 1

This is what it looked like from a distance if you're interested:

VHS tape mess.jpg

It's fascinating stuff...I've kept it for now...I'm sure I can find another use for it...there's probably at least 100 metres of it!

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

Last edited:
Great minds think alike!! (Or is it fools seldom differ??)
I couldn’t grasp the subject of the image until I saw the zoomed out version, but now it is clear and has lots of interesting features. Looks like you can take 100 pictures and there would still be a different view to capture. Loving the abstract nature of it, almost hypnotic in nature.

Great minds think alike!! (Or is it fools seldom differ??)
I couldn’t grasp the subject of the image until I saw the zoomed out version, but now it is clear and has lots of interesting features. Looks like you can take 100 pictures and there would still be a different view to capture. Loving the abstract nature of it, almost hypnotic in nature.

Thanks Stuart, most appreciated!(y)

Stuart also said:
Looks like you can take 100 pictures and there would still be a different view to capture

Funny you should say that...I did indeed take quite a number of images, there certainly were a bewildering range of angles....fascinating stuff!

Love the image Gareth, I couldn't figure out what it was. Thanks for the follow up images.

Without seeing the 4th image I wouldn’t have recognised the subject - reminds me of the tv quiz ‘Ask the Family’, if you’re old enough to remember it [emoji4]

The curves and palette make for nice abstracts. My favourite is the third pic - titled Discarded 1?

Last edited:
Some really good images there, your macro work is first rate! These are all really well lit and you've got them razor sharp. Any of them would be a fit.

Now that is a great idea... I like the abstract answers to the weekly challenge. Couldn't work out what it was until you told me....

I really liked these.

At first, from the Flickr link, I thought they might be curls of tin after your tools shot, but i don't think it matters what they are.

They were intriguing enough for me to click through and beautiful enough for me to comment.

First rate.

TBH when I saw the 1st image I thought WTF? Garath has finaly lost the plot,
It wasn't until I got the the last image that
I finally had it confirmed :p
Interesting abstracts Gareth !

Last edited:
Love the image Gareth, I couldn't figure out what it was. Thanks for the follow up images.

Thank you kindly Bill!
Is it a bit too abstract?:giggle:
Whilst drafting the post, I thought perhaps it might be, and so I decided to pop in the wider image for clarity!

Without seeing the 4th image I wouldn’t have recognised the subject - reminds me of the tv quiz ‘Ask the Family’, if you’re old enough to remember it [emoji4]

The curves and palette make for nice abstracts. My favourite is the third pic - titled Discarded 1?

Thank you Bebop, for the kind comments!(y)
Ahh yes...I do indeed (only just :giggle: ) remember 'Ask the Family' - with Robert Robinson naturally...not the later, inferior version with Alan Titchmarsh!

Oh and yes...I got my numbering a little wonky...sorry about that!:sorry:

Some really good images there, your macro work is first rate! These are all really well lit and you've got them razor sharp. Any of them would be a fit.

Thank you Jim, that's exceedingly nice of you to say!(y)

Great set of images Gareth and glad you said what it is, again another great set of shots.

Thanks Dave!(y)
Most appreciated!(y)
As always!(y)
Cheers!:giggle:

Now that is a great idea... I like the abstract answers to the weekly challenge. Couldn't work out what it was until you told me....

Thank you Robert, for the positive comments, most appreciated!(y)

I really liked these.

At first, from the Flickr link, I thought they might be curls of tin after your tools shot, but i don't think it matters what they are.

They were intriguing enough for me to click through and beautiful enough for me to comment.

First rate.

Thank you so much Kell, for the very kind words!(y)
Haha, yes, I've been (stupidly) reluctant to even use my new tool on anything other than soft, squidgy copper wire, for fear of wearing them out!:LOL:
(Actually I have only used it once so far....I must be more brave!:LOL:)

Excellent. I wish I could think of creative takes as well as this on the subject. I am determined to challenge myself more as the weeks go on.

Many thanks David, for looking and commenting,(y) I really appreciate the kind words!

Great image Gareth and very abstract. Good imagination for the shot for the theme.

Thank you kindly Joan, always most appreciated!(y)

TBH when I saw the 1st image I thought WTF? Garath has finaly lost the plot,
It wasn't until I got the the last image that
I finally had it confirmed :p
Interesting abstracts Gareth !

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks Chris, for looking and commenting.(y)
Indeed, while I was drafting out the post, it suddenly occurred to me that they might be a little too abstract, so I placed the wider image in there to clarify it!

Oh....and thanks for the 'spoiler'....I really did need a nice little 'peek' today!!:LOL:

When have I ever been in possession of 'the plot'?:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Great set of images and certainly a head-scratcher. Exactly what abstract should do. 10 out of 10 for imagination and nicely shot too.

Great set of images and certainly a head-scratcher. Exactly what abstract should do. 10 out of 10 for imagination and nicely shot too.

Thank you Helen, for looking and for the kind words!(y)
There's nothing I love more than making people scratch their heads:thinking:!:naughty:
(Hmm...that sounded funnier in my head! :LOL: )

Great set of images and interesting take on the theme, it certainly made me think.

Thank you kindly Mark!(y)
Most appreciated!

That's a great pic for the Discarded theme. I have to admit that I didn't realise what it was but I think you chose the right shot. Nice close-up detail and lighting.

That's a great pic for the Discarded theme. I have to admit that I didn't realise what it was but I think you chose the right shot. Nice close-up detail and lighting.

Many thanks Pete!(y)
The positive comment is most appreciated!
(If I hadn't taken the photo, I probably wouldn't have known what it was either! :LOL: )

Okay, so I also didn't get what this was until clicking into your thread.
Very abstract Gareth, and as always, very well taken.

Thank you Tim, very much appreciated!(y)
My goal to confuse and befuddle everyone is almost fully realised!!:LOL:

So I saw the first image and couldn’t think for the life of me what it was but liked it all the same. Get to the last image and sir I take my hat off to you you had me thinking long and hard and now I’m kicking myself. Beautifully composed and excellent clarity and lighting. Big thumbs up from me.

Great idea and very well executed.

Gets the clever clogs award of the week - nicely abstracty :)

That's a cracker of a shot Gareth.

Who would have thought of Unspooled tape. Clearly some one with too much time on their hands.

Anyway, love the curves and tonal graduations, well done, fantastic Image.

Pete

I could't tell what it was either, but I really like the abstract close ups

Interesting series of abstract photos, I would never have guessed what it is!

Interesting take on the theme as always Gareth, I like those, I would not have guessed what it was without the wide shot.

Back