Gary Numan Live Rooms in Chester on Monday

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I don't normally do gig photography, or portraits either, but as I had got my wife a VIP package for her idol from around age 15 and it included not just the meet and greet thing but also go to the sound check and take photos, video as we pleased it would have been rude not to.

What I learned - gig photography is not easy, hats off to anyone who does it on a regular basis.

Here's a couple, I've got a lot to go through yet!

Gary Numan - Live Rooms Chester
by PaulFa, on Flickr

Gary Numan at Live Rooms Chester
by PaulFa, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.
Paul.

really nice pics, especially love no.2, given the small amount of light available :)

I prefer 1 to be honest, you've caught him a good moment, pity he didnt have his eyes closed and veins popping out of his head/neck, gets the viewer into the emotion of the song, even though you cant tell what he's singing.

The 2nd image, the microphone going through his face spoils the image completely (personally I would have binned that shot) - sorry to be negative about it, but thats what I see, I try and steer clear from any objects covering up the face as band photography is all about capturing the expression and moment of a singer/performer/band, which you have done very well, in that 1st image :)

really nice pics, especially love no.2, given the small amount of light available :)

Thank you Geoff.

Nice shots in less than ideal lighting - especially #2!

Cheers Adam, even though it was just the 'soundcheck' they used the full on lighting as well, and he likes to be 'backlit' just a bit.

I prefer 1 to be honest, you've caught him a good moment, pity he didnt have his eyes closed and veins popping out of his head/neck, gets the viewer into the emotion of the song, even though you cant tell what he's singing.

The 2nd image, the microphone going through his face spoils the image completely (personally I would have binned that shot) - sorry to be negative about it, but thats what I see, I try and steer clear from any objects covering up the face as band photography is all about capturing the expression and moment of a singer/performer/band, which you have done very well, in that 1st image :)

Thanks for your comments Carl, no need to apologise for being negative - valid comments are what we need, I've never done gig photography before so any pointers will be taken onboard for any other opportunity I may get.
I know the microphone stand is in a less than ideal :( spot (putting that mildly), his keyboard was setup at the back of the stage so no real way of avoiding it, I did think about cloning it out but that may be difficult with it going over his mouth :thinking:
With regard to binning shots, normally maybe but in this instance the subject is my wife's idol since the Tubeway Army days (or in other words a flippin long time) if I'd binned it I wouldn't be around to write this post now :bat:. Think this one is her desktop at work at the moment!

Cheers
Paul.

Saw Gary the other night, as the OP said he loves his backlighting, very difficult to get any decent shots at any of his gigs, but those second two are a great example that if you persevere at his gigs you can get some good shots.

Back