Gavarnie sunset

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Happy New Year everyone. Here are two pictures from what is probably the best sunset I've ever witnessed in what I would describe as the most remarkable place I have ever been. This was taken in Gavarnie on my 2018 trip to the Pyrenees

_DSC3445 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The Portrait shot features more of the Cascade de Gavarnie, which was pretty dry on account of the amazing summer of last year. Initially I felt the portrait (3x4) was the best, but now I warm more to the (7x5) landscape as it shows more of the remarkable rock formations that make up the Cirque de Gavarnie.

_DSC3446 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

10 more months to go until I am back for the Autumn!!!!

Last edited:
2 lovely shots, I also like No 2 as you can see more of the waterfall.
It`s on my todo list this year I hope in February when I have a few days off :)

2 lovely shots, I also like No 2 as you can see more of the waterfall.
It`s on my todo list this year I hope in February when I have a few days off :)

Good luck - you'll be in skiing season. The road up to here might not be passable and the walk to where I took this might only be 15-30 mins from the car, but that's in summer not balls deep in snow. Depends though, I don't think the winters are skiing is as dead cert as the Alps so you might get lucky.

I'm as you know, not a winter fan, but a light dusting of snow would have really brought the textures out. You'll really not believe your eyes when you see it, the geological formations of the Pyrenees are fascinating - way more so than the Alps and you'll be gobstruck.

Thanks Steve, If there are house`s there then the roads will be open/cleared of snow thats for sure.
I don`t do ski`s but I do have snow Rackets and some good clothing if that helps.
Closer to the time I will get my partner t phone ahead to get some advice as to how far we can travel by car.
Thanks for the heads up on the Pyrenees rock formations :)

Thanks Steve, If there are house`s there then the roads will be open/cleared of snow thats for sure.
I don`t do ski`s but I do have snow Rackets and some good clothing if that helps.
Closer to the time I will get my partner t phone ahead to get some advice as to how far we can travel by car.
Thanks for the heads up on the Pyrenees rock formations :)

Gavarnie village will be fine, but this itself was taken a lot lot higher on the Col de Tentes. The road up from Lourdes will be totally fine in all weathers but there are a few special routes beyond this. If you can get to the top of Col de Tentes you have several awesome walks, all of which are worth doing. If you have time, also head to Torla on the other (Spanish side) side and you can see the biggest lime stone massif in Europe. I wish I lived there actually. It has so much more to offer than here.

I liked the first, then I saw the second which blows it away. The extra hint of light at the top and in the cloud help but the vertical format showing more of the waterfall gives it such a sense of scale. Really good stuff.

It has to be second one really. The framing feels about perfect there.

Why can't we have this outside the house instead of this grey and flat misery?

It's the million dollar question. This country really is hopeless for landscape photography. I got more work done in a month in France/Spain than I would in a year in Scotland. I actually wrote about this in my top ten this year.

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-top-ten-images-2018/

Last edited:
Back