Gaz J Bird Thread updated 18th March 2016

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
Thought I would do what a few others have and put all my pics in one thread.

Lucky enough recently to get quite close to a Barn Owl hunting in a field.

All taken with 1DX & 500 f4 + 1.4

Spent a pleasant couple of hours watching these owls hunt, but this is the closest one of them came.

Thanks for looking. Comments good, bad or indifferent welcome.

16929264655_0b81ede974_o.jpg

Last edited:
A very sharp set Gary,look forward to seeing more from you.

Very nice set #2 is a real cracker :)

Crackers, i used to ring them with a permit holder.

Nice set #4 being my favourite with the owl turning and the open wingspan.

Delightful. End of!!

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. Found several spots where they were out but generally early morning or late afternoon and the light wasn't great. Then found this one which consistently hunted the field in a very methodical manner so picked a spot and luck was on our side. Light was decent. These were taken around 3-3.30 pm. Thanks again.

Brilliant set!!
I've just found myself a site too, went on my first visit on sunday and got some distant shots, but would be over the moon if I could get come like that!

Superb set, No4 is my pick from an excellent bunch.

Thanks guys. no 4 is my favourite also but at the start of the day I would have settled for any of them. Still have a few more to process from this sequence but nothing that jumps out as being better than that one.

All superb, if I had to pick it would be #2 but I'd be proud of any of these.

Beautiful quality captures - Both of image and light.

I'm loving the delicacy.

Last edited:
Barn owls very good,as are the others. The stand out one for me so far,is the shelducks shot,really like that one.

Another nice set.

I also like the Shelducks, caught an unusual stance there. Never seen one, or noticed these ducks before, so nice too see, a very nice capture.

Where were the Shelduck photos taken?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The Shelducks were taken at Cley marshes in Norfolk

Was hoping they would've been in South/West Wales as your located in Pembrokeshire? Norfolk is a bit far for me to travel.

I've seen them in Pembrokeshire quite often Simon. You will also see them at Newport wetlands. They are reasonably common.

I've seen them in Pembrokeshire quite often Simon. You will also see them at Newport wetlands. They are reasonably common.

Thanks Gary, last question, as I don't want to take the thread OT any further. Do you go to Llanelli wetlands, if so any thoughts?

1,4,6,5,3,2,7 would be my order of preference Gary, but another great set.

:plus1: for the Shelducks and a good Nuthatch pose :)

Another lovely set Gaz but the Cormarant would be my choice.

Another couple of excellent sets. Get the feeling of the Great Tit waiting for it's snack, great pose/capture.

Good set, Chough is well captured as is the Linnet ... personally I like the Avocet, as a bird it works well for this type of shot IMO :)

I really like the Advocet capture (dont like marmite :))
First set of barn owls 2 and 4 for me.
Just love the dunnock shot.
Keep them coming......

Back