Gaz J Bird Thread updated 18th March 2016

Spent a couple of nights on Skomer off the Pembrokeshire coast recently. Different place when all the day visitors have gone home.
As you might expect concentrated somewhat on the puffins.
All taken with a 1DX and 100-400 MkII wide open @ f5.6 which shows how nice the lens is wide open i think.
Comments good,bad or indifferent welcome as always.
Thanks for looking.
Puffin

Puffin

Puffin

Puffin

Puffin

Last edited:
As usual, a cracking set again. Love the first Osprey one for the pose, eye contact and wet head. Also, nice to see photos with so much in focus, what was you shooting at, f8, f11?? and what body was you using, your 7d or 1d??

Last edited:
No3 Puffin & the second Osprey are well worthy of being printed, looks like you are getting some quality images Gaz (y)

Thanks Neil. Have printed the Puffin. Came out quite well. Don't print much these days since giving up entering camera club comps.

Excellent images, top quality

well done Gary

Last edited:
Fantastic images, love them. Love the look on the face of the fish in the last one!

No3 Puffin & the second Osprey are well worthy of being printed, looks like you are getting some quality images Gaz (y)

Thanks Neil. Have printed the Puffin. Came out quite well. Don't print much these days since giving up entering camera club comps.

I would like to print my pics but I only have a cheapo canon printer that only cost around £50.

I've had a good look around the 'net but can't find any good, solid advice which are good photo printers.

What do you both use to print?

Wez

Oh man they are all sublime and some real special ones in there ! Love the barn owls knowing happy bleeding hard they are to find only finding one myself last night and typically it was by accident and the Avocet is something different but I really like it but can see it will have either lovers or real haters

Hi Gaz
A really good set of images mate they do justice to the effort you put in and i am not going to pick any single one as they are all good
Regards
Richard

Some really great photos of the boids especially the chough.

Also a great shag, sorry Cormorant............:):):):)

Mj:olympus:

Your still continuing to add more stunners I see Gary really impressive work

Gaz,you really do take some wonderful pictures,I don't really know how to mean that in a stronger way,but hell it's inspiring. My web's working for a change and we just had a look through your flickr,sorry off topic but that bee ,astoundingly beautiful, and just later the damsel had us laughing. Brilliant mate. Gaz cheers for the help back a bit, more cheers for posting these images always top drawer always they make me want to try harder.

Stu

When I first took up a camera and decided to try and capture images of all the wildlife I spotted with my eyes an binoculars these are the type of images I envisaged capturing ,some I have succeeded in doing others I have not ,its shots like this that kept me plugging away on TP ....the Osprey shots alone are up their with the top shots I have seen...

Thank you Den. I can return the compliment as I look at very many images of yours and wish that I had , not only the experience of seeing the subject, but taking the images as well.

Man, you would not have more success with a candy store
near a school campus!

All eye candies! Bravo!

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. 1DX and 100-400 MkII or 500 f4 +1.4

Wow!!!
What an amazing collection of superb bird photographs, any one of those would make me so happy but to have taken so many great and so sharp shots is beyond my belief and I imagine caspabilities. You have a real talent and I am in awe of you. Very well done and thank you so much for sharing them.
The Puffins are exquisite and one of my all time favourite birds to study.

Thank you Chris. I appreciate your comments. Have a look through the bird thread and you will find many photographers with as good and way better portfolios. I think the most important thing is to try and learn from your mistakes and I have made many on my journey over the last 4/5 years to get to this point. I still have much to learn.

Getting some great opportunities with the Barn Owl :)

I would be more than very happy with those technically but for evocative images....

Barn Owl #2 looking down from barbed wire fence (colour, not b&w) and Curlew #2 are my favourites.

Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment. Saw Barn Owls every day but only a couple of opportunities to photograph them. Still great to see them though.

Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment. Saw Barn Owls every day but only a couple of opportunities to photograph them. Still great to see them though.

....Indeed it is always great to see the wildlife even if photo opportunities don't present themselves. I do my wildlife photography as an excuse to get out there and for enjoying looking for wildlife. The photography is a welcome challenge and a great way to share and/or relive the experiences. So, I've spent the best part of £6k on camera gear which I love using and just to show the results on Facebook and occasionally here! :D

....Indeed it is always great to see the wildlife even if photo opportunities don't present themselves. I do my wildlife photography as an excuse to get out there and for enjoying looking for wildlife. The photography is a welcome challenge and a great way to share and/or relive the experiences. So, I've spent the best part of £6k on camera gear which I love using and just to show the results on Facebook and occasionally here! :D

Morning Robin

That's a good attitude ........... wildlife is just so satisfying ...... maybe even more so the older (and more wiser) you get

Gary takes some great shots as shown in this thread

Back