Beginner gear advice on a Birds of Prey Photography Workshop

carmot

Suspended / Banned
Name
john conlin
Edit My Images
Yes
hi i am going on a Birds of Prey Photography Workshop was wondering has anyone got suggestion's on what would be the best set up I use a Nikon d750 have 200 500 a 70 300 24 120 Nikon lens a gimbal head a ball head and tripod been on the net and advice differs free hand or tripod any help would be appreciated

Why not contact the course provider. They will know the type of shots you are likely to get and will be in the best position to advise you.

It depends what height they are flying at,

I used a 300mm on a full frame and it was wayyyyy too short for birds hovering above my house

In most instances a hand-held 70-300 & 24-120 will be fine ... I doubt you will be shooting at birds in the distance.
Link to the workshop might provide more information to advise. :)

200-500 would be my choice.

Fill the frame @500mm, wide open will give you a good oof bg (y)

Hand held 70-300 will probably do you fine.

I did a Bird of Prey workshop and the lens I used on a Canon 650D (crop sensor) was a 55 - 250mm lens hand held. I found if you went too long it was difficult to pick the bird up in flight.

I have done a couple and have used everything from 12mm up to 300mm - and most lengths in between! The 12mm came in handy for catching an Eagle Owl landing on my fist. As someone said, a very long lens can make it hard to pick a bird up while in flight, although if you're tracking it from rest, you might get away with it.

Back