GENERAL TEST 19.11.15 - DONINGTON PARK

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
A few shot's i took during the dry,wet & windy general test session at DONINGTON PARK - kit used CANON 5D MKii with a CANON 70-200mm F2.8 lens & CANON 600D with a SIGMA 150-500mm lens. - All comments & advice welcome.
image.jpeg #2image.jpeg #3image.jpeg #4image.jpeg #5image.jpeg

It is difficult for me, at this resolution, to pin point the exact reason for
the lack of sharpness.

Two aspect of the usual technique may go wrong:
• either your panning movement or
• the AF settings.

I see, at this resolution, no recurrent or irregular panning problem in your
takes but I see recurrent and constant lack of focus.

I suspect…
I'm going to speak Nikon since I got no idea of other's terminology!
…one of them 2 is disappointing your efforts here and I believe that it might
just be your AF setting. I suspect your actual setting is on single and on
shutter release.

I would recommend that you create, in your menu bank, a "sport menu bank"
where continuous AF will be selected and the back button AF activation will
be configured.

This is all under the reserve that I did not see your RAW files for better
appreciation!

tis a bit strange how they all seem to be OOF. were you using AI Servo? It's like the camera or lens hasn't grabbed focus just before hte shutter is fully de-pressed.

It's like the camera or lens hasn't grabbed focus just before hte shutter is fully de-pressed.

Yes, focus acquisition AND confirmation are critical for sure!

Thank you Kodiak Qc & smr for your comments & advice.
Yes i noticed lack of focus in my shot's,but i posted them anyway hoping for some help & advice as it's frustrating & i need to work out where im going wrong?.
I've been using Al Servo on both cameras & i shoot in JPEG on both cameras, but ive never shot in RAW as ive been advised to shoot in JPEG.
I'm back at DONINGTON PARK tomorrow 26.11.15 for the next general test so i can get more practice in & try & get to the bottom of this.
Many thank to you both

I forgot to mention that i also have both canons on the shutter priority TV setting.

…shutter priority setting

This is ok as it makes sure that you have the minimum speed for that work.
If you made sure to select Auto ISO then you're ready to go!

Thank you Kodiak Qc, I will keep you posted on how i get on tomorrow.
Your comments & advice us much appreciated
Thank you

Your technique looks good but as others have said your equipment is not focusing accurately... set up a static target and see if you can consistently deliver a sharp shot, if not try to get your lenses calibrated... if you can then chances are it will come down to camera setting as mentioned above, Ai Servo is absolutely imperative. The 5Dii and the 600D are not top performers in terms of AF, but I would expect significantly better accuracy than is evident here (that's not a dig at you). That Sigma can be an iffy lens but the Cannon one should deliver the goods, this is another indicator that it is your settings rather than anything else (double check your EXIF to make sure you weren't accidently on one shot mode).

Here's an example of what the 5dii and the 70-200 f2.8 (ii) should be capable of (via Adrian Brittlebank)
Untitled by Adrian Brittlebank, on Flickr

Cool… that's crrrrrrrrispy!
Check the hot brake front disk!

This is a good thread for me to see.
as I've been at Donninton for track days and use a 500D with (at that time) a Tamron 70-300 (non VC) lens.. which I sold for £60.
My pix didn't seem very 'crisp' and I put it down to a 'cheap' lens and a camera that wasn't fast enought to focus... I shoot in RAW and edit in LightRoom3
JapFest 2-59 by FIL, on Flickr

As said above with a 5Dmk2 and a 70-200 f2.8 I'd expect cleaner shots.

It's all practice and I'd like more time to do it :)

Back