weekly George's 52 for 2017 Week 52(and Done)

Well done on catching up, Routine is my favourite and not a shoehorn at all. I now have the theme from Rainbow in my head...:D

(y)(y)

well done Miss on catching up, nice work.

Yes the tadpole is a top idea.

Power is a beaut. I love to see those restoration jobs.

Last edited:
Good to see you hanging on in there Georgina. Well done for catching up, do hope your tadpole makes it, we had some but I'm not sure if they hatched or got eaten!!

Thanks Susie. We've had them for about 3 years now. Love seeing how they develop. We rarely see the adult frogs tho they seem to stay well hidden. Hopefully there will be another theme that fits and I can share some more pics :D

Great to see you back Georgina :) That's quite a catch up - the flowers are beautifully taken - such delicate colours. I like your tadpole shot too - great background (y)

Thanks Emma :) The background was just a sheet of blue card, I had the tadpole in a clear dish and propped the card behind. Just had to keep waiting for him to swim round in front of the camera and then hope he was in focus :D It did take forever ;)

Hi Georgina,

Attractive - Bang on for the theme, with the lovely pinky/purple colour (I'm sure it has a proper name). Good contrast with the complementary green background.

Dark - You'll have to watch out for @Dark Knight sneaking round for your prop ;) Black on Black, but it works.

Power - So... You're on the TT course along with Andrea then... I didn't realise that. Nicely captured, though perhaps a bit tightly cropped? But Hey, it's a kettle do :)

Above - For my taste, I would have pushed the clarity or contrast a little more, but that's just me. Works for the theme (you do have a few undulations on that island of yours, which I guess helps with the theme).

Evolve - Still looks alive in the shot, I imagine they are hardy little things. Impressive blue background you've managed to capture there. Do you mind explaining how? (I'm imagining a blue card behind a jam jar or something, but I'm probably miles out).

ETA, just read your reply to @Emja. So my guess was right then!

:)
Hi Georgina,

Attractive - Bang on for the theme, with the lovely pinky/purple colour (I'm sure it has a proper name). Good contrast with the complementary green background.

Dark - You'll have to watch out for @Dark Knight sneaking round for your prop ;) Black on Black, but it works.

Power - So... You're on the TT course along with Andrea then... I didn't realise that. Nicely captured, though perhaps a bit tightly cropped? But Hey, it's a kettle do :)

Above - For my taste, I would have pushed the clarity or contrast a little more, but that's just me. Works for the theme (you do have a few undulations on that island of yours, which I guess helps with the theme).

Evolve - Still looks alive in the shot, I imagine they are hardy little things. Impressive blue background you've managed to capture there. Do you mind explaining how? (I'm imagining a blue card behind a jam jar or something, but I'm probably miles out).

ETA, just read your reply to @Emja. So my guess was right then!

Thanks Tim :). Yes we do have some fantastic scenery over here, hopefully I will be able to share more as the year goes on. Andrea is actually my sister-in-law :) Unfortunately there were people on the platform so had to crop the engine that way to cut them out. I think the tadpole will be fine, they do have quite a tough life, so I'm sure he could survive a little while in some clean water :)

Great idea and execution. I personally wouldn't have used such a shallow DoF, but that's just me :)

Great idea and execution. I personally wouldn't have used such a shallow DoF, but that's just me :)

Good take on theme, like the nail varnish and dark BG :)

I like that, I think I would prefer a slightly deeper DoF, but theme wise very cool idea, and I'm liking the nail varnish too, adds a extra something :)

Like the idea, agree with what others said about deeper dof.

Thank guys. Just so I'm clear, do you mean you would like it to have been more out of focus to the top of the cards? I did a few other pictures without the nail varnish but didn't like the naked nail, so painted just the thumb :p Glad the effort was worth it :D

Great idea for the theme and well executed. Lovely bright colours and sharp detail.

Thank guys. Just so I'm clear, do you mean you would like it to have been more out of focus to the top of the cards?
I would have preferred the 'A's in focus too :)

I did a few other pictures without the nail varnish but didn't like the naked nail, so painted just the thumb :p Glad the effort was worth it :D
Hahaaaa - excellent :LOL:

another vote for deeper dof ... top idea, manicured nail. (y)

I'd go against the votes for more DOF, I like the selective focus on the centre with the A's out of focus but I do like a shot with shallow DOF and know it's not to everyone's taste. Good decision to put the nail varnish on as well, definitely worth the effort!

Hold - remind me not to play cards with you! And the finger nail is very nicely dressed. I hate it when a photo is let down by untidy fingers. Well done.

I'd go against the votes for more DOF, I like the selective focus on the centre with the A's out of focus but I do like a shot with shallow DOF and know it's not to everyone's taste. Good decision to put the nail varnish on as well, definitely worth the effort!

Thanks Steve :) Glad I'm not all on my own in liking the shallow DOF :)

Hold - remind me not to play cards with you! And the finger nail is very nicely dressed. I hate it when a photo is let down by untidy fingers. Well done.

Thanks Chris. Was a pretty good hand :D I did do a few pictures before the nail painting but when I put them on the laptop the naked nail just ruined the effect :)

Week 16 - Smoke - Hippo Smoke, loved having a go at this was just sorry when I ran out of smoky things, tho I think the rest of the family were quite pleased as they were getting smoked out :D

Hippo Smoke by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Like it, nice smoke trail. Is that a spoon turned up-side-down?

Thanks Stan, yes it is. My son found this topic interesting enough for him to be willing to help out by holding various things, as long as he could play with the smoke :D

I see what you've done there, using the spoon to disturb the smoke trail (flow). Excellent idea.

I did:D but I can't take credit for the idea as it was on the web site that I used to find out how to take this kind of shot. ;)

Week 17 - Vivid - Stunning Peacock at our local Wildlife Park. Andrea and I had a great day out there last Tuesday so great timing for Vivid. It was a bit of a tricky shot as he was behind a fence and next to a tree with lots of twigs and leaves so was not easy to get a good angle without stuff in the way. I have actually cloned out a fairly big leaf! Have I done an ok job, can you tell where it was?

Vivid by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Clever, rather different smoke image technique, nice result.

Fantastic detail in that peacock, stands out well from the BG, no sign of any leaf cloning.

(y)

Back