weekly George's 52 for 2017 Week 52(and Done)

Congratulations for your progress, well done! I hope the overall winner will be called in for a wee test to see if he had any performance enhancing substances in his bloodstream :cautious:
The cat looks very content, but I'm not sure about the composition. But I do like the white flower against the purple leaves!

well done on the Progress made. (y)

Loving the white flower amongst the purple petals, very effective colour contrast. I didn't notice the pot till mentioned, no sure about it, if you wanted to leave it maybe trim a little off the bottom to clean it up.

Hi Georgina
Like your tiny shot for the colours and composition, but for me, Id have liked to see something to give some scale to the pic.....
Also, Id have cropped the bottom brown line out.

Congratulations for your progress, well done! I hope the overall winner will be called in for a wee test to see if he had any performance enhancing substances in his bloodstream :cautious:
The cat looks very content, but I'm not sure about the composition. But I do like the white flower against the purple leaves!

Thanks Bernd. I was pretty pleased with my result and have no idea how they manage to go at the speed they do for the length of time. maybe thats the answer:D

She was a happy kitty but had laid down between a not very nice plant pot and the chair leg, so it was the best angle I could get and just wanted to get caught up rather than wait for a better angle. So it is what it is:D Seems to have been quite popular the little flower :D

well done on the Progress made. (y)

Loving the white flower amongst the purple petals, very effective colour contrast. I didn't notice the pot till mentioned, no sure about it, if you wanted to leave it maybe trim a little off the bottom to clean it up.

Thanks David. See what you mean, maybe just crop a little bit more and lose the darker from bits :)

Week 26 - Face - Rock Face

Out for a walk on Monday and came across this group of rocks sticking up in the middle of the beach, all covered with Limpets and seaweed.

Face by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Hi Georgina,
Progress - It means something to you (especially with all the effort you two put in) and that's all that matters sometimes.
I've got pictures that technically are rubish, but mean a lot and others that on a technical basis are really good, but to me are 'meh'. So Looks spot on for me :)
Pleasure - Can't fault sleeping moggy pictures! She's very white, complete opposite to ours.
Tiny - Details captured really well. Have you considered a tighter crop, losing the oof bottom of the shot?
Face - A different take on the theme, but bang on it. :)

As rock Faces go, that's a good one. ... colour, pointy bits and barnacles.

That's a good detailed shot of the rock face and with the seaweed, limpets and barnacles, it has some good depth to it.

I've told you already but I do love your image for Minimalism; it's a beauty. It's a good job you took the image on the day you did, too, and didn't leave it until the next day :)

Tiny is lovely too, with the little flower standing out well against the red leaves, and would be even better without the top of the pot at the bottom edge, and that's a good idea for Face with all those limpets, barnacles and the contrasty sharp edges (y)

That's a nice unusual idea for the theme Georgina, and still good detail considering the shade :)

Thanks DK, was one of those chance spots that I thought might work:)

A nice rock face shot Georgina, good colours and like the shade :)

Thanks Dave :)

Hi Georgina,
Progress - It means something to you (especially with all the effort you two put in) and that's all that matters sometimes.
I've got pictures that technically are rubish, but mean a lot and others that on a technical basis are really good, but to me are 'meh'. So Looks spot on for me :)
Pleasure - Can't fault sleeping moggy pictures! She's very white, complete opposite to ours.
Tiny - Details captured really well. Have you considered a tighter crop, losing the oof bottom of the shot?
Face - A different take on the theme, but bang on it. :)

Thanks Tim for the catchup. I think the consensus was I should have cropped the plant pot out :)

As rock Faces go, that's a good one. ... colour, pointy bits and barnacles.

Thanks David :)

That's a good detailed shot of the rock face and with the seaweed, limpets and barnacles, it has some good depth to it.

Thanks Dominic :)

I've told you already but I do love your image for Minimalism; it's a beauty. It's a good job you took the image on the day you did, too, and didn't leave it until the next day :)

Tiny is lovely too, with the little flower standing out well against the red leaves, and would be even better without the top of the pot at the bottom edge, and that's a good idea for Face with all those limpets, barnacles and the contrasty sharp edges (y)

Thanks Andrea. Always seems slightly odd commenting on each others pictures when we have talked about them face to face lol:D[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I can see a very grumpy face at the top :)

Cheers.

I did try flipping the image as I thought the bit sticking out at the top looked like a nose but it didn't really work. Maybe it would if I cropped it right down :thinking::)

Week 27 - Agriculture. Failed to find any hay bales close by but, again by chance, found this field with some wheat type crop growing in it. As it was a bit breezy I wanted to get the grain swaying but not sure I succeeded and the light wasn't great so hey ho.

Agriculture by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Wheat crop and what a cracking shot too Georgina, sharp front to back with beautiful colours and a great BG too. Totally love it (y)(y)

Thanks very much Dave. It is a pretty special view, glad I could do it justice :)

I had the same thought as Steve and Dean, it's a bit 50/50 composition wise but it's a good sky and nice view. I think you would have to be closer to the wheat to get some obvious motion blur on it.

Its been ages since I made any comments but I have had a look through since my last post
Structure - An unusual building I like the blend of modern traditional
routine - fantastic view I love the colour of the sky and plenty of interest.
Numbers - Well done on your training I hope the real thing went well.
Attractive - a Pretty Bunch
Dark - good choice and a clear shot I like it.
Power - Lovely little steam train.
Above - Good PoV now I have the rainbow themetune as an earworm
Evolve - great shot great detail and bang on theme
Hold - I would prefer to see it more in focus but great idea and colour choices
Smoke - I like it and it sounds like you and your son had fun getting the shot.
Vivid - Stunning shot and a clever bit of cloning.
Large - Unusual Sculpture and some more clever cloning
Architecture - I like the archway details
Broken - it does look like it would be broken
Transport - My son would like to be a policeman when he grows up having seen that he wants to move home.
Minimal - a striking shot right on theme.
Progress - Well done you a fantastic effort.
Tiny - nice sharp detiail shame about the bar at the bottom
Face - lovely texture like Posiview I too can see a rumpy face at the top
Agriculture - Lovely View but I agree nice as the sky is I would crop some out too.

My favourite of the bunch is the Peacock for vivid. I will try and visit more frequently from now on

All round lovely image and the FG barley(?) draws the eye but there's lots more to see.

Week 28 - Graceful - Decided on swans straight away but struggled to get the right conditions, either location or light just never seemed to be right. In the end decided to convert to B&W to avoid the not great colours. It's quite a heavy crop too as I don't have a good long lens. Reasonably happy with the end result tho.

Graceful by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 29 - Fruit - Take a picture of an orange I said (this was the only fruit I had in today) how hard can that be I said :banghead: Took lots of pictures but kept coming back to this one, not sure about the BG but this one was outside when the sun was out and I really like the sunlight on the fruit
Fruit by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Wasn't keen on the stuff in the BG of the other image. I had this one which I quite like too :)

traceng.jpg

I agree with maybe taking a little of the sky off but it's a lovely view and the crop works for the theme.

I had the same thought as Steve and Dean, it's a bit 50/50 composition wise but it's a good sky and nice view. I think you would have to be closer to the wheat to get some obvious motion blur on it.

It's a good sky, and nicely exposed, but I have to say I think I agree with the comments above. A more letterbox crop, removing some of the sky to emphasise the field may improve it.

Apologies for the late reply. I did it that way as I wanted to keep the blue sky at the top but I have done a quick revisit and I think you are right. Maybe this one is a bit better

Agriculture2 by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Face; a different idea for the theme. I like the rock formation and all those marine growths.

Agriculture; a lovely shot, agree with others said about a bit less sky.

Thank you Stan:)

Its been ages since I made any comments but I have had a look through since my last post
Structure - An unusual building I like the blend of modern traditional
routine - fantastic view I love the colour of the sky and plenty of interest.
Numbers - Well done on your training I hope the real thing went well.
Attractive - a Pretty Bunch
Dark - good choice and a clear shot I like it.
Power - Lovely little steam train.
Above - Good PoV now I have the rainbow themetune as an earworm
Evolve - great shot great detail and bang on theme
Hold - I would prefer to see it more in focus but great idea and colour choices
Smoke - I like it and it sounds like you and your son had fun getting the shot.
Vivid - Stunning shot and a clever bit of cloning.
Large - Unusual Sculpture and some more clever cloning
Architecture - I like the archway details
Broken - it does look like it would be broken
Transport - My son would like to be a policeman when he grows up having seen that he wants to move home.
Minimal - a striking shot right on theme.
Progress - Well done you a fantastic effort.
Tiny - nice sharp detiail shame about the bar at the bottom
Face - lovely texture like Posiview I too can see a rumpy face at the top
Agriculture - Lovely View but I agree nice as the sky is I would crop some out too.

My favourite of the bunch is the Peacock for vivid. I will try and visit more frequently from now on

Wow thanks for all the comments. I hope you didn't have this many for everyone, it must of taken you ages :D

Hey come on, girl, I've overtaken you again :eek: :D Really like Agriculture. Perfect for the theme and one of the best views on the island (y)

What do you mean again, you've been behind almost the whole year :p. It is a pretty good view :D

Hi Georgina ...I'm starting afresh with Vehicle as I've missed so many weeks to go back but I have looked through and you have some excellent choices for the themes. I like the the first one, it's a beautiful detailed photo against the summer sky, I would have been tempted to try to clone out the two guys on the left, but they're not a huge distraction, they're part of the show.

Back