weekly George's 52 for 2017 Week 52(and Done)

Swans plural ... works well.

Fruit is a beaut, so fresh & alive.

Great tractor, love the low pov gives a wide angle feel. (y)

Hi Georgina ...I'm starting afresh with Vehicle as I've missed so many weeks to go back but I have looked through and you have some excellent choices for the themes. I like the the first one, it's a beautiful detailed photo against the summer sky, I would have been tempted to try to clone out the two guys on the left, but they're not a huge distraction, they're part of the show.

Thanks Susie, nice to see you back :) I did think about doing that but as you say they are part of the show. I did clone out a horrible bright orange can by the back wheel tho :sneaky:

I really like the light and shallow DOF on the Fruit image, and the low POV on the traction engine gives an idea of the size of those things. Lovely sky behind it too, and the two Manx flags add a touch of bright colour (y)

:ty:

Just a quick catch-up on comments on your most recent photos ...

The rock face is an interesting take on the theme. I like that you were able to maintain details in the shadows.
The edited field looks great! I like the leading lines of the tracks through the field.
The swans work well in black and white - good contrast.
I'm not normally a fan of selective color, but this works. The shallow DoF takes the emphasis off the selective color, and the orange has great color and lighting.
As for the tractor photos, I prefer the second one with more detail and less background clutter.

Just a quick catch-up on comments on your most recent photos ...

The rock face is an interesting take on the theme. I like that you were able to maintain details in the shadows.
The edited field looks great! I like the leading lines of the tracks through the field.
The swans work well in black and white - good contrast.
I'm not normally a fan of selective color, but this works. The shallow DoF takes the emphasis off the selective color, and the orange has great color and lighting.
As for the tractor photos, I prefer the second one with more detail and less background clutter.

Hi Kara, Thanks very much for your comments. Just wanted to say I can see where you are coming from but the orange wasn't edited as a selective colour:) Thats just how it came out, It was sat on an old greying wooden table in the garden :D

Week 31 - Piece (of my Heart) Not sure about this one. Didn't really have any ideas but then this book jumped out at me one evening. They are lots of different colours so decided B&W would be better but its a bit meh:D

Piece by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 32 - Contrast - Not sure if this is a bit of a shoehorn but there is contrast between the red and gold and the bg :exit:This was taken at our local Royal Show. Unfortunately I stood at the wrong side of the show ring so for most of the time they were running away form me, ended up with quite a few pictures of horses backsides:( This guy was the commentator and just managed to snap him as he turned my way. Quite pleased that both him and the horse seem to be looking right at me.

Contrast by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Piece - good use of DoF and monochrome, does the job for the theme, the eye alights nicely on the book title.
Contrast - nicely captured and the sunlight brings out the contrast.

Hi Georgina,

Graceful - A shame it wasn't a few seconds earlier to get the cliché heart shape necks, but nicely captured nonetheless.
Fruit - Slightly unconventional to focus that far into the image. Do you have any examples where the furthest forward segment is the one in focus? I'd like to compare that against your chosen image.
Vehicle - Difficult... I see what you're saying about the people in the background, and the inclusion of motion blur in #2 is very pleasing. but the sky and the red flags in #1 seem to give it more vibrance. I'm going to go with#1 by a gnat's whisker.
Agriculture2 - Yes, I think cropping off some of the sky does help :)
Piece - Not having seen the colour version, I can't see much wrong with the B&W, and they do seem to be consistent in hue, which is what you were aiming for I believe.
Contrast - Well done getting the eye contact. There certainly is contrast between the red and blue.
Also, nicely composed keeping his head below the tops of the trees, so that you don't get a change of horizon behind him.

Piece is good enough for the theme imo. Contrast, now this is a lovely shot and well on theme Georgina, the red of the rider is a good contrasting colour to go with his black slacks and the beautiful horse :)

Thanks Dave, They were very striking :D

Piece - good use of DoF and monochrome, does the job for the theme, the eye alights nicely on the book title.
Contrast - nicely captured and the sunlight brings out the contrast.

Thanks Chris :D

Hi Georgina,

Graceful - A shame it wasn't a few seconds earlier to get the cliché heart shape necks, but nicely captured nonetheless.
Fruit - Slightly unconventional to focus that far into the image. Do you have any examples where the furthest forward segment is the one in focus? I'd like to compare that against your chosen image.
Vehicle - Difficult... I see what you're saying about the people in the background, and the inclusion of motion blur in #2 is very pleasing. but the sky and the red flags in #1 seem to give it more vibrance. I'm going to go with#1 by a gnat's whisker.
Agriculture2 - Yes, I think cropping off some of the sky does help :)
Piece - Not having seen the colour version, I can't see much wrong with the B&W, and they do seem to be consistent in hue, which is what you were aiming for I believe.
Contrast - Well done getting the eye contact. There certainly is contrast between the red and blue.
Also, nicely composed keeping his head below the tops of the trees, so that you don't get a change of horizon behind him.

Thanks Tim for the catchup. Off to do the same myself :)

Thanks for all your comments and heres another fruit just for you :Dfruit2.jpg

I mainly picked the first one because the light was so much better and it had the sparkle and then the sun went in :(

Last edited:
I see what you mean, the original has so much more vibrance.

Was typical, just got everything set up and picked the best angle and only managed a few shots before the sun disappeared. Unfortunately I didn't have one with the sun and focused on the front :(

Wow thanks for all the comments. I hope you didn't have this many for everyone, it must of taken you ages :D

Erm yes that behind on everybody and still catching up (not surprisingly). I am trying to keep up with new posts from now on but not very good at that still.

Graceful - Swans were my first thought it is a lovely shot, I think I would prefer it in colour.
Fruit - great detail it stands out well from the background, I agree it is better than the one you posted later.
Vehicle - I like both shots equally
Piece - works well in B+W and the relevant book does stand out from the others
Contrast - He certainly does stand out from the background in that jacket well done for getting him looking at you.

Contrast is wow ... super colour & detail but more ... you can feel the action ... dressagey.

Hi Georgina :)

Contrast - Now that book stands out nicely good idea for the B & W conversion :)

Contrast - Glad we didn't get one of the backside images :D the effort was there that is the main thing, so box ticked :)

Fruit - Now that is a super image, a great shallow depth of field and I really like the low angle too (y)

Erm yes that behind on everybody and still catching up (not surprisingly). I am trying to keep up with new posts from now on but not very good at that still.

Graceful - Swans were my first thought it is a lovely shot, I think I would prefer it in colour.
Fruit - great detail it stands out well from the background, I agree it is better than the one you posted later.
Vehicle - I like both shots equally
Piece - works well in B+W and the relevant book does stand out from the others
Contrast - He certainly does stand out from the background in that jacket well done for getting him looking at you.

Thanks very much again:D I picked b&w for the swans because there were lots of different colours and reflections in the water and they all just distracted from the swans, otherwise I would have preferred the colour too:)

Hi Georgina, I'm liking Piece a lot, definitely the right choice in the B&W, you obviously like that author :)
Contrast ... spot on with the angle, maybe a slight shoehorn, but he is looking very smart

Thanks Susie, I do like the author, very good detective stories, they have actually televised a few of them. There are actually several more on the shelf that didn't make the shot as they are a different size :D

Contrast is wow ... super colour & detail but more ... you can feel the action ... dressagey.

Thanks very much David. This was the best of the shots. They were a group of cossack stunt riders and they were very good but unfortunately I stood in the wrong spot as they were mostly riding away from me :(

Hi Georgina :)

Contrast - Now that book stands out nicely good idea for the B & W conversion :)

Contrast - Glad we didn't get one of the backside images :D the effort was there that is the main thing, so box ticked :)

Fruit - Now that is a super image, a great shallow depth of field and I really like the low angle too (y)

Thanks very much DK:D

Week 33 - (Picked) Clean - Today we had a family outing, on a boat, to an even smaller island called The Calf of Man or Yn Cholloo (in Manx). This little island is a 618 acre wildlife sanctuary. I really is very lovely and peaceful but while there I spotted this which jumped out at me for the theme. Its a little macabre but I liked it :D

Clean by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 34 - Curves - Another one from The Calf. The buildings are the base for the wardens and the bird observatory which was established in 1959. Lots of curves here, with the curve of the track, the round tower and the hills:D

Curves by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Clean - really well spotted for the theme and good light bringing out the details on the skull, thought provoking!
Curve - as you say lots of curves going on there, good light, nice sky.

Hi Georgina,
Clean - That's devilishly good ;) Good spot, good use of shallow DoF.
Curves - Curvy lines of the track take your eye to the circular building. Nicely on theme, nice blues, greens and purples. (y)

As ever, we've spoken about most of these in person but that's a good idea with the book titles for Piece and perfect use of DOF, I do like the eye contact and bright colours of Contrast, and I was stood within ten feet as you took the the latest two images and they're good picks from a multitude of options on that day :D That poor sheep must be the most photographed animal on the island :snaphappy:

Clean is a powerful image ... stands out well in a nice setting ... well, a desert BG would be better. ;)

I could not pick a favourite as both shots are bang on theme, and great too (y)(y)(y)

Clean - really well spotted for the theme and good light bringing out the details on the skull, thought provoking!
Curve - as you say lots of curves going on there, good light, nice sky.

Hi Georgina,
Clean - That's devilishly good ;) Good spot, good use of shallow DoF.
Curves - Curvy lines of the track take your eye to the circular building. Nicely on theme, nice blues, greens and purples. (y)

Thanks everyone :D

As ever, we've spoken about most of these in person but that's a good idea with the book titles for Piece and perfect use of DOF, I do like the eye contact and bright colours of Contrast, and I was stood within ten feet as you took the the latest two images and they're good picks from a multitude of options on that day :D That poor sheep must be the most photographed animal on the island :snaphappy:

Thanks Andrea. I think you took one or three more pictures than me tho :p:D

Clean is a powerful image ... stands out well in a nice setting ... well, a desert BG would be better. ;)

Thanks David, yes desert would have been good. I guess I could have put it on the beach but that would have entailed stealing it and taking it back to the mainland as there are no beaches on the calf. Not sure I would have got away with that :D

Week 35 - Occupation - Web Master - My eldest son moved into a shared house a few weeks ago and other than removing more of his junk I hadn't been in the room till a couple of days ago. Its now been converted in to an office space which is great. So anyway, when I turned on the lights a little spider had been very busy and had built a very big web. So before evicting said spider and cleaning up I decided this was a good choice for occupation :D

Occupation by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Back