weekly George's 52 for 2017 Week 52(and Done)

Week 36 - You - Couldn't really decide if this was a you or me but anyway. This is me doing my training for my Machu Picchu trek. It was blowing a hooley and I balanced my camera on the wall on the other side of the road and used the timer to dash across and be in the picture. Not a great one and not very flattering but it seemed to fit the theme:D

You by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like your arch shot and how you've used the arch to frame the view within it. Nice work

Clever idea for occupation georgina. That lamp hasn't been out for a while then?;)
Nice shot of ?you . Strong light makes it tricky. I suppose lifting the shadowa might have burnt the BG
That's a fabulous composition for the arch. Well spotted and the B&W makes the most of the shapes:)

Really like occupation, witty title and the web stands out well.

You, I wonder if you would have been better with the light in front of you but good effort, these selfies are not easy. Machu Picchu is somewhere I'd love to go.

The arch is perhaps a tad tight on the sides but nicely done with the sun backlighting it and the view beyond

Occupation is a very nice shot Georgina, the light really brings out the web.
I like the photo of You, nice BG too.
Arch, now this is a cracking shot imo, good texture of the old stone and a lovely view through it too :)

Thanks very much Dave

Clever idea for occupation georgina. That lamp hasn't been out for a while then?;)
Nice shot of ?you . Strong light makes it tricky. I suppose lifting the shadowa might have burnt the BG
That's a fabulous composition for the arch. Well spotted and the B&W makes the most of the shapes:)

Thanks John, No my son moved out about 6 weeks ago and hadn't needed go in there and turn the ceiling lights on since then plus before that it was his job to keep it as clean or dirty as he liked, so the web could have been there for months :ROFLMAO:. You was a bit of a compromise between the light and the shadows

Really like occupation, witty title and the web stands out well.

You, I wonder if you would have been better with the light in front of you but good effort, these selfies are not easy. Machu Picchu is somewhere I'd love to go.

The arch is perhaps a tad tight on the sides but nicely done with the sun backlighting it and the view beyond

Thanks Chris,

I probably would have been better the other way but there was no view that way ;)
The Arch is a little tight but I wanted to focus on the arch itself and the view through it, rather than having the wider view

That's a great idea for Occupation Georgina and a cool photo too, the webs stand out nicely against the dark background :)

You - a bit blown on the left hand side but a nice composition and like that you managed to place your camera on a wall and use the timer :)

Arch - Ooooo now this is nice, a very effective use of the arch, liking the B&W processing too :)

Really like Occupation, clever title and a really interesting photo; I like shots where the light source is part of the image and the web stands out nicely from the background.

Slightly suspicious that 'You' is just an excuse to gloat about going to Macchu Piccu. :cautious:

I like the arch, it's a lovely natural frame for the background. It could do with a little more room - did you crop it much to make the square?

Occupation ... well spotted and framed.

You ... backlit selfie ... perhaps not technically perfect but it works for me.

Arch ... nice find for the theme, one of this week's best. However, I agree it's a little tight ... a little more room RHS for me, following the BG landscape.

Last edited:
That's a great idea for Occupation Georgina and a cool photo too, the webs stand out nicely against the dark background :)

You - a bit blown on the left hand side but a nice composition and like that you managed to place your camera on a wall and use the timer :)

Arch - Ooooo now this is nice, a very effective use of the arch, liking the B&W processing too :)

Thank you :D

You - If you had stood on the right hand side of the gate the sun would of probably light your face and meant your face wasn't in the shade and would be tempted to crop a bit off the bottom and top to focus the attention on you the main theme.

Arch - I really like the arch shot thou, nice compo and works great in B/W great shot. (y)

Hi Georgina, looks like Ive missed some of yours...

Webmaster is a cracking shot, Ilike that a lot.

Arch is nice to, but the highlights look a little high in comparison ?

What a great choice for Occupation Georgina ...I love that one, a very unique choice of subject, annoying things spiders webs they appear from nowhere!
'You' works perfectly for the theme ...you're very brave taking on such a challenge ...good luck with that.
Fabulous archway, my favourite of the week, great angle and perfect in the b&w, it has a nice tone, it's not too harsh.

Really like Occupation, clever title and a really interesting photo; I like shots where the light source is part of the image and the web stands out nicely from the background.

Slightly suspicious that 'You' is just an excuse to gloat about going to Macchu Piccu. :cautious:

I like the arch, it's a lovely natural frame for the background. It could do with a little more room - did you crop it much to make the square?

Thanks Nick.

Me gloating, I don't know what you mean;):whistle:

This is the original pic. Didn't think the extra added anything and didn't like the scrubby bush next to the arch, so hence the square crop :)Arch2.jpg

Occupation ... well spotted and framed.

You ... backlit selfie ... perhaps not technically perfect but it works for me.

Arch ... nice find for the theme, one of this week's best. However, I agree it's a little tight ... a little more room RHS for me, following the BG landscape.

Thanks David, You was definitely a shoot and move on. Didn't really think too much about it form a technical point of view. Just stuck the camera on the wall on the self timer and ran across to be in the shot. :D I've posted a copy of the full Arch shot. I think I would have left it like this (except in B&W) if it wasn't for the bush on the rhs. Have to take the shears next time :LOL:

You - If you had stood on the right hand side of the gate the sun would of probably light your face and meant your face wasn't in the shade and would be tempted to crop a bit off the bottom and top to focus the attention on you the main theme.

Arch - I really like the arch shot thou, nice compo and works great in B/W great shot. (y)

Thanks Nigel, yes I agree about You. It's not a great picture but it just about fitted the theme :D

Hi Georgina, looks like Ive missed some of yours...

Webmaster is a cracking shot, Ilike that a lot.

Arch is nice to, but the highlights look a little high in comparison ?

No problem, thanks for coming and commenting.

What a great choice for Occupation Georgina ...I love that one, a very unique choice of subject, annoying things spiders webs they appear from nowhere!
'You' works perfectly for the theme ...you're very brave taking on such a challenge ...good luck with that.
Fabulous archway, my favourite of the week, great angle and perfect in the b&w, it has a nice tone, it's not too harsh.

Thanks very much Susie.

Hi Georgina,

Occupation - Great find and nicely executed, the web is nicely illuminated and the background nice and dark.

You - I think Chris is onto something with the direction of the light, though I think you could give it a bit more punch in pp and that would suffice.

Arch - I really like that one. A great bit of composition to line it up like that with the tower? in the distance, and the desaturated processing works well.

Hi Georgina,

Occupation - Great find and nicely executed, the web is nicely illuminated and the background nice and dark.

You - I think Chris is onto something with the direction of the light, though I think you could give it a bit more punch in pp and that would suffice.

Arch - I really like that one. A great bit of composition to line it up like that with the tower? in the distance, and the desaturated processing works well.

Thanks very much Tim. Its called Milners Tower and it was built in honour of a Liverpool safemaker, it is in the shape of a lock but you can only see this from above. He apparently was a great benefactor of the town in the 1800s :)

Week 38 - Display - My first idea for this week was the new light display in our town. It look quite nice in the flesh and wanted to show you all but I have had to wait for a dry late night when there wouldn't be any cars as it is on the main road and there is parking for the shops too. However, when I eventually went to do it I realised there are lots of traffic signs, bins and general stuff around that got in the way and just couldn't find an angle that really showed it off :( So anyway I'll post 2 here and one in the main thread and hopefully you will get the idea. The brick building is the railway museum which is at the end on the steam railway tracks in Port Erin. They have extended the tracks out of the other side of the building and added lighting in a couple of wagons.

Display1 by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Display2 by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 39 - Bent - These trees are at a place called West Baldwin. They are at the head of a valley and over the years have been bent by the wind that blows up it :)

Bent by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 40 - Wooden - This is a Wizard produced by a local guy who does chainsaw carving it is in a place called Ballaglass Glen in the North of the Island.

Wooden by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

I like the closer shot for displaying the new lights, bet it looks great. Wood is a cracker of a shot Georgina, the bible reading old man looks good in the woods, nice colours :)

Thanks Dave. I would have liked this to have been just a little wider but I was right up against a wall with the widest lens I have, so not much more I could have done

Second display for me, I like the light-up tracks, you have got the exposure of that spot on I think.
Bent - those wind-blown trees are idea for the theme and the light picks them out well.
Wooden is great. I've seen chain saw carvings before but that is a great example and your photo really does it justice. I really like that.

Second Display for me too Georgina ... the lighting on the trucks looks really nice.
Amazing how the trees stand up to the wind isn't it, that one is truly Bent but still hanging on, I like the stark composition against the blue sky.
There are some very clever people aren't there, what a wonderful wizard, and Stans right there's a little world of fairy mushrooms growing at his feet ...how magical is that :)

#2 on display for me Georgina; it's really annoying when the street furniture gets in the way. shame the top of the tree and building cut off.
Bent trees are bang on theme with nice framing against the sky.
Love the wizard. the dark background really emphasises the sense of mystery.

Great set of photos:)

Good work (y) Display #2 is a beaut ... illuminated tracks ... extraordinary. (y)

Bent trees and Wooden wizard ... two nice finds (y)

Wooden - great textures on the wizard. So as well as saying hello to the fairies when crossing the bridge will have to doff my cap to the Wiz if I pass him when next visiting my niece.

Second display for me, I like the light-up tracks, you have got the exposure of that spot on I think.
Bent - those wind-blown trees are idea for the theme and the light picks them out well.
Wooden is great. I've seen chain saw carvings before but that is a great example and your photo really does it justice. I really like that.

Thanks Chris. The carvings are really brilliant, he has quite a number of different ones around the Island and not all wizards

Love the Bent trees. The composition is good and with nice details.

Another beautiful Woodcarving, like the details with a stack of books. Are the 'white patches' fungi growth?

Thanks Stan. I'm not sure about the white patches, they didn't look like fungi, but there's quite a patch of small brown ones at the base of the pile of books:)

Second Display for me too Georgina ... the lighting on the trucks looks really nice.
Amazing how the trees stand up to the wind isn't it, that one is truly Bent but still hanging on, I like the stark composition against the blue sky.
There are some very clever people aren't there, what a wonderful wizard, and Stans right there's a little world of fairy mushrooms growing at his feet ...how magical is that :)

Thanks Susie. There has been quite a few complaints about wasted money in the village as they have done quite a lot of work in the area but I think it now looks really nice. The trees really are amazing its a very exposed spot and it does get very windy here. I guess they have survived by bending in the direction of the wind. There are quite a number of this chaps carvings around the Island but I think this one is one of the best and the mushrooms just add to the effect. The glen he stands in is beautiful, its a good sized wooded area with tumbling waterfalls and they have made a fairy trail which leads to the wizard :D

#2 on display for me Georgina; it's really annoying when the street furniture gets in the way. shame the top of the tree and building cut off.
Bent trees are bang on theme with nice framing against the sky.
Love the wizard. the dark background really emphasises the sense of mystery.

Great set of photos:)

Thanks very much John. Yes it was very annoying, hadn't quite noticed how mush there was till I went to take the picture. I think the tree and the top of the building was what I didn't really like about the shot, but it was either that or the tracks so hey ho thats photography sometimes :D

Back