weekly George's 52 for 2018 And finished

I rarely favour B&W but I think it might work here. :exit:

Ticks the box for stark, nice colours too.

Hi Georgina,
Nicely done, the close-up works and it's nice to see some colour in this theme :)

Stark - I like the colours in the sky

Stark - well it works for me I do like the colours in the sky, I think it helps the branches to stand out, another box ticked and you can move on to the next theme.

Liking the colours of your Stark image Georgina, nice detail on the in focus branches too, not a bad shot at all :)

I would normally expect B&W for a shot like this, but you caught some really lovely colours in the sky and it would have been a real shame to lose them so I think you made the right choice (y)

Thanks for all your comments and apologies for the late response. It was the colour in the sky that attracted me into the garden, so glad you all liked it :)

Week 4 - Over - Overcast.

Tried a few things for this theme but none seemed to work and the weather just wasn't playing ball. Anyway, out for a walk this morning. It was freezing cold with bits of rain and a few snow flakes, fortunately we managed to stay dry.

Overcast by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Over, what a great shot this is Georgina overcast. Great composition as the flint wall leads the eye down and round to the overcast weather with a beautiful background.
Post Age is another fine shot and on theme too, love how the post box just pops right out at the viewer and the great flint wall going off in to the distance.
Two great shots that for me are beautifully on theme (y)(y)(y)

Over, what a great shot this is Georgina overcast. Great composition as the flint wall leads the eye down and round to the overcast weather with a beautiful background.
Post Age is another fine shot and on theme too, love how the post box just pops right out at the viewer and the great flint wall going off in to the distance.
Two great shots that for me are beautifully on theme (y)(y)(y)

Wow, thanks Dave, glad you liked them :D I am spoilt by living in such a beautiful place :)

Overcast is a beautiful landscape shot, very atmospheric, you can really feel the cold. And well composed with the road and dry stone wall leading the eye into the picture.

#2 for age might be more on theme, but I love the first photo! Great composition, great DoF and the red postbox really does pop!

Well done on getting out in this grotty weather :) As Dave says, Overcast works well, both for the weather and also the composition. Both images for Age meet the theme very nicely too, and I think 'Postage ' is less of a shoehorn than you think, because a VR post box is going to be at least 115-120 years old so definitely qualifies! I like the composition of that one too, with the red box on the corner of the wall (y)

Mull Circle one works nicely for me for age

Overcast is a beautiful landscape shot, very atmospheric, you can really feel the cold. And well composed with the road and dry stone wall leading the eye into the picture.

#2 for age might be more on theme, but I love the first photo! Great composition, great DoF and the red postbox really does pop!

Thanks Bernd :) It was absolutely freezing, still not warmed up yet :(

Well done on getting out in this grotty weather :) As Dave says, Overcast works well, both for the weather and also the composition. Both images for Age meet the theme very nicely too, and I think 'Postage ' is less of a shoehorn than you think, because a VR post box is going to be at least 115-120 years old so definitely qualifies! I like the composition of that one too, with the red box on the corner of the wall (y)

Thanks Andrea :) It was freezing but at least we didn't get wet :) It was why I went to looking for an old box in a wall rather than a modern one. I was actually heading for one on the Howe road but spotted this one and it works much better with the Chapel in the bg :)

Dammit I wish I'd thought of doing that sharp thing. I have one of those cacti. I have had it for twenty years and is about 18 inches tall, the spines on it would pierce bone now such are the thickness of them. I repotted it a couple of years ago and wore barb-wiring gloves and safety glasses to avoid ripping my flesh off.

It, along with quite a few other cacti have been relegated to a greenhouse of their own now so dangerous are they to go near. I once had a dream that someone fell into a patch of those cacti -- they didn't make it out alive; why on Earth do we keep them? I might do a similar picture referencing your own piccy to avoid stealing your thunder if that's alright?

Sharp - great colours, great DoF and most definitely on theme!

Hi Georgina.
Really like the OVERcast image, nice details in the sky.
PostAGE is another good image on theme apart from the Postbox itself is not vertical, which I assume it is in the flesh.
The Mull Circle is another nice image, but I feel is cropped to close on the righthand side, there is a stone cut in half and the clouds look interest above it, maybe move back or zoom out a bit and crop in processing to a more letter box shape.
Well done on the Catcus, the needles are nice and SHARP and looks in much better condition than the ones I have at home.

Pete

Over - Nice take on the theme nice use of the road a s a leading line

Age - Nice details the red fo the post bx really pulls you in.

Sharp - nice use of DoF they certainly look sharp

Good catch up, good work. Age as in postage stands out, nice one. (y)

Sharp
There's some good detail in the spines and they definitely look sharp.

Over - very atmospheric sky lovely landscape
Age - they are so different I love the old postbox and its a great PoV but I think the second shot fits the theme better
Sharp - I have fallen victim to spike like that great detail in the focal area

Over - works for me lovely detail in the sky.
Age(ing) - two very good images for the theme, and for me the composition and link between neolithic / bronze age on the second image works well for me.
Sharp - certainly bang on for the theme, those needles look very sharp indeed, not much more I can say.

Area, brought back great memories of the TT and escaping the madness by visiting Port Erin. Great shot.
Age I really like the letter box shot, the starkness of the wall really makes the colour pop.
Sharp, ouch! Perfect on theme and very well executed.

Hi Georgina,

Over(cast) - Works for your chosen take on the theme. I quite like how the curve in the road leads your eye onto the white buildings and then the sea.
(Post)Age - Clever take on the theme. And that's an impressively mounted (presumably) Victorian post box. Sticking it on the third and including the church has helped the image.
Sharp - Nicely done. Just the right amount of DoF I feel.

Sharp, :D:D have done the same many times myself too hence the grins. A good shot and well on theme with those sharp spikes :)

Good shot for sharp; they look like nasty little devils.

Dammit I wish I'd thought of doing that sharp thing. I have one of those cacti. I have had it for twenty years and is about 18 inches tall, the spines on it would pierce bone now such are the thickness of them. I repotted it a couple of years ago and wore barb-wiring gloves and safety glasses to avoid ripping my flesh off.

It, along with quite a few other cacti have been relegated to a greenhouse of their own now so dangerous are they to go near. I once had a dream that someone fell into a patch of those cacti -- they didn't make it out alive; why on Earth do we keep them? I might do a similar picture referencing your own piccy to avoid stealing your thunder if that's alright?

Sharp

We have had the same idea. Its a nice shot. Wish i had got mine in first. Lol. I only managed to take mine today as i dont own a cactus i went to the Barbican consevatory.

Sharp - great colours, great DoF and most definitely on theme!

Sharp - well shot and you've certainly conveyed the theme of sharpness.

Sharp
There's some good detail in the spines and they definitely look sharp.

Agreed, lovely shot

Sharp is also nicely on theme

Thanks all for the comments. Sorry for the late response, I've not been on for a little while, been busy learning some digital art for a club competition.

Hi Georgina.
Really like the OVERcast image, nice details in the sky.
PostAGE is another good image on theme apart from the Postbox itself is not vertical, which I assume it is in the flesh.
The Mull Circle is another nice image, but I feel is cropped to close on the righthand side, there is a stone cut in half and the clouds look interest above it, maybe move back or zoom out a bit and crop in processing to a more letter box shape.
Well done on the Catcus, the needles are nice and SHARP and looks in much better condition than the ones I have at home.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your comments. I think the post box is straight :exit:The bit of wall that it's on is at an angle across a corner, so it makes the top and bottom look at an angle but I think the long edge is parallel with the edge of the image. Maybe I should have cropped out that half stone :naughty: The circle is actually quite large and I just wanted to focus on a small part of it this time :) The cactus was a gift from an elderly lady that I work for, I've not had it long so all the credit goes to her for the good condition :D

Over - very atmospheric sky lovely landscape
Age - they are so different I love the old postbox and its a great PoV but I think the second shot fits the theme better
Sharp - I have fallen victim to spike like that great detail in the focal area

Thank you. The post box was a bit of a laugh really :D I think the spikes lull us in and then strike when we get in range. Little devils they are :)

Back