GET IN! Droplet collisions a-gogo!

FlashInThePan is one of our traders / posters on here, he advertises the Strobist gear in the For Sale section. I'm not feeling the love as Santa Claus didn't bring me a 5DMKII nor an MP-e65, tight git. :p

Carl

Oh I seeeee! I'm such a n00b. Friend of mine linked me to this. Any good do you reckon? (for a poor student?). Will 1/16 be quick enough for splashes?

Also.... some more from tonight. Click for bigger versions:

Last edited:
No 4 & 5 of your latest set is a real stunners. Lovely colours.

Flash or no flash?

Barney

Mate 2 and 5 are great shots, the black and red work really well. Here's a link to one of Steves (Splog) shots on Flickr, which gives some more info WRT to shutter speeds, flash setup etc: Splog Photos

Carl

No 4 & 5 of your latest set is a real stunners. Lovely colours.

Flash or no flash?

Barney

Thanks Barney :) (My dad's name that is :p)

All done in a darkened room with flash on. Flash set to -1 power this time I think :)

Mate 2 and 5 are great shots, the black and red work really well. Here's a link to one of Steves (Splog) shots on Flickr, which gives some more info WRT to shutter speeds, flash setup etc: Splog Photos

Carl

Thanks, I've certainly seen "Splog" about. I think I may have clicked his blog before :thinking: I'll go take a looky-see now! (y)

The black is actually dark blue... to be precise :LOL: Purely because Tesco didn't have any black food dye in :(

The black is actually dark blue... to be precise :LOL: Purely because Tesco didn't have any black food dye in :(

Did you try the Gothic cake section? :LOL:
Dont suppose there is much call for black food? :shrug:

Barney

Did you try the Gothic cake section? :LOL:
Dont suppose there is much call for black food? :shrug:

Barney

Well they had a sticker telling me the price of black food dye... 52p. But it was sold out! Obviously there's a major demand for black food?! :|

Well they had a sticker telling me the price of black food dye... 52p. But it was sold out! Obviously there's a major demand for black food?! :|

My wife manages it without ANY food dye! :D

Brill shots, they seem to be getting better and better! And i feel for ya, your not the only poor student round here :geek:

Glad to see my tip on the use of airline and clamp has worked for you:). You are now getting far better results than i am!! Must get back to it and have another go:D

Glad to see my tip on the use of airline and clamp has worked for you:). You are now getting far better results than i am!! Must get back to it and have another go:D

I had thought of the airline thing, but couldn't get into town because of the snow, was trying using straws and things, which wasn't working at all.

But thanks :) You should!

Todays:

4224725657_4acb6f261f.jpg

4225493414_2b740a8610.jpg

Fantastic shots m8,Love the black & red ones,and thanks for showing your setup its really helped me see how it all works (y)

Ash - wicked pics. I was thinking what effects you could get with a clearer liquid and an image in the bottom of the drip tray... or maybe light from underneath?

Arthur

Fantastic shots m8,Love the black & red ones,and thanks for showing your setup its really helped me see how it all works (y)

Thanks, it means a lot :) And no worries! No fair if we keep things secret...

Ash - wicked pics. I was thinking what effects you could get with a clearer liquid and an image in the bottom of the drip tray... or maybe light from underneath?

Arthur

Thanks again!

Currently, without an external flash, it's hard to change the lighting. The lighting is the hardest part :(

But, what I was thinking of doing was changing the angle of the picture. Maybe taking one from almost straight down instead of perpendicular to the splash :)

I think personally that they would look so much better with a different colour, perhaps brighter or more translucent. At the moment I find the colours pretty depressing.

Ooops, didn't see page two. Those last ones are much better, although they could do with a little tidying up and some cleaning, removing distracting elements such as bubbles and reflections. Much better.

Ooops, didn't see page two. Those last ones are much better, although they could do with a little tidying up and some cleaning, removing distracting elements such as bubbles and reflections. Much better.

Yeh, true. All these are literally straight out of the camera. I'm not so good with the PP.

I editted this one on GIMP, better?

Original:

4225493414_2b740a8610.jpg

Editted:

RGB1GIMP.jpg

The edit of the two images above loses the impact for me.

I think the colour schemes you have going are very cool and the results you are achieving now are exceptional!
Congratulations on succeeding in a genre that is NOT at all easy to achieve.

ooh, I just bought one of the airline valves as well :)

Last edited:
The edit of the two images above loses the impact for me.

I think so too. I did nothing to the contrast/sharpness, but it seems more blurred :thinking: I need much much more practice with PP.

I think the colour schemes you have going are very cool and the results you are achieving now are exceptional!
Congratulations on succeeding in a genre that is NOT at all easy to achieve.

Thank you Ian! Your praise is much appreciated :D (y)

ooh, I just bought one of the airline valves as well :)

Excellent! Drop me a msg if you want to ask anything else about my particular set up :)

Excellent! Drop me a msg if you want to ask anything else about my particular set up :)

You're vert welcome re. the comments and thank you for the kind offer. I reckon I might have a few Q's :)

I'm actually just about to bottle 4.5L of Rioja so another Demi-John spare.. hehe.

You're vert welcome re. the comments and thank you for the kind offer. I reckon I might have a few Q's :)

I'm actually just about to bottle 4.5L of Rioja so another Demi-John spare.. hehe.

Haha... excellent stuff :) I'll look forward to it.

Hey Ash
Looks like you have cracked it, these are great. I have the same valve sitrting here at home, just waiting for my next trip to our local garden centre for tubing, looks like we have the same idea ;)( its what I used to use as a dripper system for chams). Another idea that should work equally as well, is using a drip system from a hosptal, if anyone has access to such supplies ;) - there is a calculation for those so you can work out exactly how many drops you get per minute, depending on which delivery system you use.
I might have to get me some tubing this week now:D

Hey Ash
Looks like you have cracked it, these are great. I have the same valve sitting here at home, just waiting for my next trip to our local garden centre for tubing, looks like we have the same idea ;)( its what I used to use as a dripper system for chams). Another idea that should work equally as well, is using a drip system from a hosptal, if anyone has access to such supplies ;) - there is a calculation for those so you can work out exactly how many drops you get per minute, depending on which delivery system you use.
I might have to get me some tubing this week now:D

Thanks Angi :)

Ahhh cool! I've seen some of your collisions, some nice ones there!

And yeh, I was talking to a nurse about this very subject, from RFUK, who said that she's going to see if she can wangle a used giving set and try that :D

Thanks Angi :)

Ahhh cool! I've seen some of your collisions, some nice ones there!

And yeh, I was talking to a nurse about this very subject, from RFUK, who said that she's going to see if she can wangle a used giving set and try that :D

Thats how I know, I'm a nurse ;)

Thats how I know, I'm a nurse ;)

I didn't know this! I'm a vet student...I'll have to see if I can nab a used one when they're chucking it out :) The person I was talking to was Fluffy, I'm sure she won't mind me mentioning.

they are awesome! I only manage to capture spouts or crowns - need to practise more!!

ps - black and red ones are very cool and unusual ;)

Thanks! Appreciated :) And yeh... practice makes perfect... friggin loads of it. :LOL:

Superb captures WD (y)

Ah man, My airing tube arrived today, but doesn't fit the valve thing cos it isnt big enough, so have to order another. ugh.

When it arrives what exactly do i do? Just pop the other end in a bottle of water, turn the valve thingy and does it start dripping or am i missing a step?

Sorry, im new to all this :(

Loving all the different colours! Inspires me to have a go myself.

Do, do! Thanks :)

Superb captures WD

Thank you! :)

Ah man, My airing tube arrived today, but doesn't fit the valve thing cos it isnt big enough, so have to order another. ugh.

When it arrives what exactly do i do? Just pop the other end in a bottle of water, turn the valve thingy and does it start dripping or am i missing a step?

Sorry, im new to all this :(

A bummer! :(

And, you put the end it, open it up fully, and suck gently on the end to get the water to fill the airline. Then, as long as the bottom of the airline tube (where the clamp/valve is) is below the surface of the water in the bottle, it will syphon out by gravity. Set the flow rate to that about just below the flow at which is pours out of the end (ie when droplets form instead of a steady stream), and have it about 25cm high or so :)

Give that a go and see what you get!

Woww!! nice ones and I think they just gets better by every picture..

Thank you very much :D

Excellent shots (y) You've certainly mastered these :clap:

hey ash great set up and super shots. I'm stuck at getting the water out over the top of the bottle with my air valve I had lying around. physics eh!

Last edited:
Ashmash,

Loving the technique.

Will have a play tomorrow.

What lens are using

Back