Ghent Night Scene

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

This is my first real attempt at capturing a night scene with reflections.
In the wonderful city of Ghent, around midnight i think having consumed a decent amount of Trappist Chimay.

Spent quite a bit of time trying different shutter speeds.
Still struggling with how to post process and make visually pleasing images though.

I do have some questions regarding how to photograph at dawn though, which i will pose to the good people here in good time ie why are some images very blue, and others a different colour when they have been taken at sequentially (but with different shutter speeds).

In the meantime any tips on how to improve night time photography with regards how to shoot ie should i try and ensure the lights aren't overexposed and pull up the shadows (i shoot jpeg); do i look at the histogram (what does good look like in these situations)?

Cheers
Alan

Ghent Night Scene by Alan Stokes, on Flickr

Ghent Night Scene by Alan Stokes, on Flickr

Last edited:

Though I don't fell you really did work the shot
#1, you did waaaaay better with #2! (y)

REVISITED

The second shot… is it leaning right?

initially the use of small apertures makes every light more attractive than the general view
i guess you wanted all the starbursts...i would have used a greater opening for aperture
what setting did you use on your camera...could be the lights were controlling the aperture...sensing a lot of light
cheers
geof

no 2 is better framed...you can see the tilt in no 1
the 3 people in no 2 i would remove as their light clothing is attracting the eye

Last edited:
Back