B&W Ghost riders

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I know this isn't an original idea (I have a copy of Nick Turpin's book, On the Night Bus for one thing), but it seemed an excellent choice of subject on a rainy February day. I may update the thread if I get more (I do have a couple of others from this roll, but the bus riders are much more clearly defined in those, and I like the ones here because of their abstract feel).

Nikon F80
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-D
Ilford HP5+

FILM - Ghost riders #1
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Ghost riders #2

FILM - Ghost riders #3

FILM - Ghost riders #4

Last edited:
I know this isn't an original idea (I have a copy of Nick Turpin's book, On the Night Bus for one thing), but it seemed an excellent choice of subject on a rainr February day. I may update the thread if I get more (I do have a couple of others from this roll, but the bus riders are much more clearly defined in those, and I like the ones here because of their abstract feel).
I like these a lot Nige, they have a gritty otherworldly feel to them, almost like they're trapped in a place you really wouldn't want to be.

I like these a lot Nige, they have a gritty otherworldly feel to them, almost like they're trapped in a place you really wouldn't want to be.

Thanks Nick. I was pretty pleased with them when I saw the scans - I was using the F80 and 50mm AF lens and it was hunting for focus a lot, so I wasn't sure how they would turn out (shot #1 wasn't intentionally OOF, but I liked the result anyway). I didn't really plan things out and it was raining heavily, getting splashes on the lens and the (non-weather-sealed) camera, so they were mostly a case of me darting out of shelter when a bus pulled in and getting a quick shot before I got too wet! :)

Really nice, and quite different (and I don't care if you copied the original idea, because you have made it your own).

You have to wait till after dark, when the lights are on inside.

Not that I know anything about it! I've been thinking about it for years but never got around to it. ;)

I do love this kind of thing, and enjoy seeing these. Keep 'em coming Nige. :giggle:

Great work Nige. I was on a bus yesterday for the first time in about ten years and just snapped out of the filthy window into the grey and wet Leeds landscape. Kinda hoping for the opposite view of what you have here.

Particularly like 2 & 4 with the sharp definition of the wiped glass which reveals the subject behind it.

Great work Nige. I was on a bus yesterday for the first time in about ten years and just snapped out of the filthy window into the grey and wet Leeds landscape. Kinda hoping for the opposite view of what you have here.

Particularly like 2 & 4 with the sharp definition of the wiped glass which reveals the subject behind it.

One day I plan to shoot an entire roll from a bus (preferably one with a decently long route) - I'll just sit on the front seat of the upper deck and see what comes into view. I have been thinking about doing this for a couple of years though, so don't hold your breath. :)

I spend a lot of time on buses and generally find something to photograph, no matter what the weather...

Wet day on the bus P1230236 copy.JPG

Rain on bus window _1050566.JPG

Bus driver in mirrir DSCF3604 copy.JPG

I didn't know what to expect but man I love that set, something about them, the miserable, depressed feeling. Is awesome. Would make a good zine.

I love this kind of image. Superb set!!!

Back