Giant House Spider/Jumping Spiders/Crab Spider.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Very nice set of images with a nice range of subjects Paul

Very nice set of images with a nice range of subjects Paul

Cheers for the comment Alf.
I find most of my Jumping Spiders at home, in both my front an back gardens.
However, the image of the "Jumper" that is on the corrugated metal sheet, i found out in the field. The Spider was on top of a purpose built Insect/Bug home, at my local park/lakes.

Here is a couple of extra images of a female Zebra Jumping Spider, which is feeding/preying on a Fly...that i found on my house wall.
This wall is at the front of my house, it always catches the sun...so the "Jumpers" like this location.
Cheers Paul.

PS. Not easy to capture focus on both Spider an Prey in the 1st image, so i was pleased with the outcome. Especially, since i only ever shoot single images(ive not tried stacking images yet).

Jumping Spider, preying on a Fly(garden photo, 1 of 4 pics) uncropped. 29th-August-2018. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Jumping Spider, preying on a Fly(garden photo, 1 of 4 pics) uncropped. 29th-August-2018. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

I keep meaning to try a bit of macro but never seem to get round to it. A talk at our camera club this week has got me thinking about it again. How do you get insects to stay still for you though?

I keep meaning to try a bit of macro but never seem to get round to it. A talk at our camera club this week has got me thinking about it again. How do you get insects to stay still for you though?

I would encourage anyone to have a go a Macro/Close up photography...but like any subject, it will not happen "overnight"! Like anything else out there, its practice, practice, practice...then some more practice on top of that!!...You have to get yourself "out in the field", an just take 100's/1000's of images, until you start to feel happy with what type of images you are trying to achieve.
Ive been really keen on wild UK Butterfly photography, but its probably taken me a good 7 years+, to finally produce the kind of images that im happy with.
Observe your chosen subjects closely, you soon get to know how to capture good images of them...............You dont get Insects to stay still for you, you chase them around the countryside, miss 100's of images, but every now an then, you get lucky with the swines...but thats all part of the fun, isnt it? ;)

Cheers for the comment Alf.
I find most of my Jumping Spiders at home, in both my front an back gardens.
However, the image of the "Jumper" that is on the corrugated metal sheet, i found out in the field. The Spider was on top of a purpose built Insect/Bug home, at my local park/lakes.

Here is a couple of extra images of a female Zebra Jumping Spider, which is feeding/preying on a Fly...that i found on my house wall.
This wall is at the front of my house, it always catches the sun...so the "Jumpers" like this location.
Cheers Paul.

PS. Not easy to capture focus on both Spider an Prey in the 1st image, so i was pleased with the outcome. Especially, since i only ever shoot single images(ive not tried stacking images yet).

Nice shots with a big meal. I have shot the with prey a few times.
I would encourage anyone to have a go a Macro/Close up photography...but like any subject, it will not happen "overnight"! Like anything else out there, its practice, practice, practice...then some more practice on top of that!!...You have to get yourself "out in the field", an just take 100's/1000's of images, until you start to feel happy with what type of images you are trying to achieve.
Ive been really keen on wild UK Butterfly photography, but its probably taken me a good 7 years+, to finally produce the kind of images that im happy with.
Observe your chosen subjects closely, you soon get to know how to capture good images of them...............You dont get Insects to stay still for you, you chase them around the countryside, miss 100's of images, but every now an then, you get lucky with the swines...but thats all part of the fun, isnt it? ;)
I agree with this.

I have only ever seen 1 jumping spider but it disappeared very quick.
love it with the fly.

Same here I only ever seen one jumper before. I had a brief play at macro some time ago and found it very difficult. I bought a second hand Canon 100mm macro at the time but sold it on quite quickly. "Something i've never done before"
That said I feel an urge to try again.
Do you mind saying what type of lens your using to get so close. I know thats not the answer to great images it takes a lot more than that. But you do need to get close up to tiny things.

Gaz

Nice shots with a big meal. I have shot the with prey a few times.

I agree with this.

Thanks once again Alf.

I have only ever seen 1 jumping spider but it disappeared very quick.
love it with the fly.

Cheers for that.
I live in a normal suburban property...You just have to get your observation skills "up a few notches" an you will be really surprised at what creatures you can find, in your average UK garden!

Same here I only ever seen one jumper before. I had a brief play at macro some time ago and found it very difficult. I bought a second hand Canon 100mm macro at the time but sold it on quite quickly. "Something i've never done before"
That said I feel an urge to try again.
Do you mind saying what type of lens your using to get so close. I know thats not the answer to great images it takes a lot more than that. But you do need to get close up to tiny things.

Gaz

I dont mind at all Gaz.
My macro/close up equipment is nothing fancy or expensive(i did post a thread up here some time ago) which explains/shows my macro/close up/flash diffuser set ups/images.
All my images in this thread, were shot using an old Panasonic FZ50 10 MP bridge camera. A home made Pringles diffuser, using just onboard camera flash...................but the most important extra piece of equipment i also use, is the Raynox 250 macro lens. I also use a Raynox 150 macro lens too...and if i want to get even closer, i sometimes stack both the 250 and 150 Raynox lenses.
So there it is, basic, cheap, old equipment...but when coupled with the Ranox lenses, and using honed field skills/craft...some pleasing images can be achieved. But as ive said before - practise practise practise!
Hope this helps, cheers Paul.

Last edited:
practise practise!
Hope this helps, cheers Paul.
Great info. Amazing results. Thanks for sharing. I think your last passage applies to all photography though. This as been my experience too. Thanks again.

Gaz

Lovely set of images, what lens are you using if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks David, if you look at the post just before yours, it tells you my lens/camera/set up. ;-)

Great info. Amazing results. Thanks for sharing. I think your last passage applies to all photography though. This as been my experience too. Thanks again.

Gaz
Cheers once again Gaz.

Here is another image of a garden Jumper.
Same set up, image has been cropped approx 50%.
I cant remember if i stacked both Raynox lenses for this one?? But i did drop the megapixels down from 10 to 8 MP, to give me more camera lens zoom/magnification.

Jumping (Zebra) Spider. (garden photo). 12th-May-2018. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Amazing little things. Excellent captures with wonderful details.

Back