Gig Photography

Name
Marc
Edit My Images
No
IMGP6064.jpg IMGP6065.jpg IMGP6124.jpg Hi,

Just looking to get some constructive crit on some recent gig photography pics I took.

TIA

I'm by far no expert after only covering 4 or 5 gigs but for me the crops are a little too tight ... just an observation though

Would agree that they are cropped so tightly they might as well have been shot in a studio. There is no 'feel' to it being a 'live' gig.

Totally agree with above you need to show people a bit more feeling, like they are there at the gig feeling, I'd also go for some colour too as B&W are ok but doesn't show the true picture

I take the comments on board, agree with them being to tight.

Introducing colour into a gig is not as easy as it seems. Most of the time you are shooting at 1600-3200 ISO (if not higher) which of course, introduces noise. Keeping photos in colour will only enhance that. Combine that with the fact that you are shooting, most of the time at small gigs, with blue and red lights makes it horrendous and people, in colour tend to look like green aliens!

I take the comments on board, agree with them being to tight.

Introducing colour into a gig is not as easy as it seems. Most of the time you are shooting at 1600-3200 ISO (if not higher) which of course, introduces noise. Keeping photos in colour will only enhance that. Combine that with the fact that you are shooting, most of the time at small gigs, with blue and red lights makes it horrendous and people, in colour tend to look like green aliens!

Which is why a lot of people that do this kind of photography regularly use equipment that can handle the higher ISO settings. Not sure what equipment you are using. I used to do this sort of thing in small clubs in my area, and used a Nikon D700 paired with a Nikon 24-70 f2.8, and would have no issues with noise when shooting at around 5000 ISO.

As others have said, the crops are a little tight, but saying that, I used to shoot for people that would want a few tighter crops to use in their promotional material. In general though, some of the environment and, to an extent, some of the audience can help to show that 'live' vibe/interaction. I found that you do need to try and be a bit more creative in the smaller venues sometimes, as it was quite likely that the lighting rig wasn't great, or there would not be a lot of audience to speak of, or the stage would really close to the toilets etc etc etc. So the smaller venues can be tricky, and actually require better equipment sometimes than the larger venues with big bands. That's my experience anyway.

Definitely know the feeling regarding noise issues at gigs, especially when factoring in the lights. My only additional comment with the above shots is that they look a little soft, not sure if the focus is on the wrong point or whether that is intentional (in which case fair enough) but they just look a little out of focus to me.

Im using a Pentax K5 with 50mm 1.8 prime - its quite good with noise until you hit around 3200, then it kind of goes downhill.

I have used a Nikon D3 for the past eight years and its low light abilities are brilliant. (Can't wait to get my hands on the D5 which on paper appears to move the bar up a couple of steps or so).

However, I often still shoot gigs at much lower than ISO 6400, as it does create 'better' pictures, athough noise on gig pics is less critical than say a wedding or formal portrait. Bear in mind lighting can also be very bright too. But with anything less, in a small venue where the lighting is non existent, I wouldnt bother.

Strangely, of all my lenses, I like the f2.8 70-200mm which allows shooting from the back of the venue to incorporate some measure of the crowd, or for very tight close ups of performers faces etc if shooting from the side of the stage or mosh pit.

Of course with that sort of lens you need a pass in most cases to get in, unless it is a very very small venue, in which case I might revert to my f1.4 50mm.

Of course, with gigs, you are never quite sure until the band are on stage as to how the lighting will be set up, or how large or small the crowd are. I find being at the sound check often gets some great shots as the band are more relaxed (or stressed on some occasions!) and the lighting is usually brighter. Mixed with shots of the actual gig helps create a good portfolio.

Black and white is massively underrated for gigs shots and often it's the only option when you take in to consideration noise and the fact that tiny venues quite often have rubbish lighting.

I like the tight crops but I would add some wider shots in with them to give a sense of the venue and location

I'm going against the tides and say I actually don't mind the tight crops, I think it adds to the mood of the photos... however I'm not sure that you would want to call them 'gig photos' as they lend themselves to... that wider crop. I think they have a very creative and artistic feel to them and I like them a lot as they are. Even the slight softness of them work for me.

Back