Girl on a Balcony

Nice relaxed pose I often think about doing portraits but never had the right conditions or location :)

Nice relaxed pose

:plus1:

…just an idea…

girl%20balcony%201.jpg

The pose is nicely relaxed, but the model's legs appear a little too large because of the way they are pointed towards the camera and use of a slightly wide lens. If you had shot with a longer focal length lens then the compression effect would have reduced the distortion of her legs and given better proportions. IMO of course.

Otherwise a nice photo.

The pose is nicely relaxed, but the model's legs appear a little too large because of the way they are pointed towards the camera and use of a slightly wide lens. If you had shot with a longer focal length lens then the compression effect would have reduced the distortion of her legs and given better proportions. IMO of course.

Otherwise a nice photo.
I'm never a fan of limbs/legs before body and face as I feel perspective gets all peculiar.

I like the softness of your shot but I think it would look better if the cushion's/pillows in foreground were cropped out and the other thing that I find annoying is the wrist watch, a pleasant shot though.

So Kodiak you applied a little more pop. I like it.

Yes, Kodiak has improved the colours, in our eyes, so we like it. But if the subject saw the photo, she'd be less happy.

Skin tone is a big issue in Asia, and skin whitening creams are a huge business. I sometimes turn the saturation down a bit, and adjust tones to make sure her skin does not look dark. The original photo is reasonably accurate for skin tone, but she'd prefer lighter. Seems odd to me, but lighter skin is seen as better here, whereas us people from colder countries prefer a 'healthy glow'.

The standard Fuji jpeg settings even seem to lighten and smooth the skin, I suspect it's because it's optimised for the Japanese market?

Kodiak has his own particular set of preferences, often with stronger colours, a slightly darker mid-range and with the tonal range pushed out to the edges at both extremes - presumably that also sells well in the market he serves. You know what works best locally, and for that reason there's no need to conform to different expectations, plus it's nice if we don't all shoot the same.

I like her relaxed pose and look. I agree with the others about vertical and horizontal cropping.
Those leaves in the background mark it out as a Fuji.

Yes, Kodiak has improved the colours, in our eyes, so we like it. But if the subject saw the photo, she'd be less happy.

Skin tone is a big issue in Asia, and skin whitening creams are a huge business. I sometimes turn the saturation down a bit, and adjust tones to make sure her skin does not look dark. The original photo is reasonably accurate for skin tone, but she'd prefer lighter. Seems odd to me, but lighter skin is seen as better here, whereas us people from colder countries prefer a 'healthy glow'.

The standard Fuji jpeg settings even seem to lighten and smooth the skin, I suspect it's because it's optimised for the Japanese market?

See my edit for light skin
Oops you saw it!!

Skin tone is a big issue in Asia, and skin whitening creams are a huge business.

Was unaware of that…:confused:

Had I known it, I would have left the skin
tones alone through an adjustment layer! :cool:

Last edited:
You often suggest images look better with a full width tonal range, so whites go white, blacks go black, rather than a compressed or crushed tonal range that gives a more muted or matte look. :)

You often suggest images look better with a full width tonal range, so whites go white, blacks go black, rather than a compressed or crushed tonal range that gives a more muted or matte look.

Ok, got it. :cool:

Yes, I suggest to get the recorded data right from the start and this
includes both DRL and WB.

That does not say anything about artistic intent though, It is clearly
visible the difference between a flat and ignored DR, and a flatter
tonal range that supports the final rendition.

A friend of mine is an Antique Greece maniac. He goes there every
year and he likes the intemporal look of the monuments rendered so
flat that they seem to have a ghostly presence. Of course, this is all
artistic intent and no archeology documentation.

Back