Critique Giving it a go

Hi,
Sorry if you have been asked before but what is your set-up, camera/flash and what settings were these shots.
All this helps, Thanks
For a start they look over saturated imo.
1st one, Maybe a wolf spider. Focus not too bad and composition not too bad.
2nd one, Crab spider for sure, not sure on focus point on it though.
3rd one, with Butterflies you would need to get more 90 degs to them, with this shot you are just before that.

Nice shots, I agree with Graham, in fact I thought straight away windy day. Practice indoors is the best, you really appreciate the quality of images you can get, it will make you more choosy on the outdoor shots, wind is a real image destroyer for macro.
Also try focus stacking or merging, with affinity photo, or Helicon. You will be surprised at the results you get. Practice is the best way to learn.

For giving it a go you have done well not everyone would would have managed so well. How many shots did it take to get these three?

How big was the first spider?

I think these are pretty good for just giving it a go, Liking the crab spider shot the most. I would hazard a guess that the first is a nursery web spider if that is a nettle it is perched on, hard to tell without scale or seeing it from a higher angle.

I think these are pretty good for just giving it a go, Liking the crab spider shot the most. I would hazard a guess that the first is a nursery web spider if that is a nettle it is perched on, hard to tell without scale or seeing it from a higher angle.
I was wondering g about a Nursery web spider too

Hi,
Sorry if you have been asked before but what is your set-up, camera/flash and what settings were these shots.
All this helps, Thanks
For a start they look over saturated imo.
1st one, Maybe a wolf spider. Focus not too bad and composition not too bad.
2nd one, Crab spider for sure, not sure on focus point on it though.
3rd one, with Butterflies you would need to get more 90 degs to them, with this shot you are just before that.
Hi Graham Thanks for stopping by
Equipment wise, Nikon D7200 with Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro lens and ring flash.
Settings
#1 f11, 1/200, iso 100. Flash set to min power output
# 2 & 3 f11, 1/250, iso400. Flash set to min power
I will certainly re think where I focus in future

Last edited:
Nice shots, I agree with Graham, in fact I thought straight away windy day. Practice indoors is the best, you really appreciate the quality of images you can get, it will make you more choosy on the outdoor shots, wind is a real image destroyer for macro.
Also try focus stacking or merging, with affinity photo, or Helicon. You will be surprised at the results you get. Practice is the best way to learn.
Hi Andrew thanks for taking a look, I will certainly take a look at focus stacking and try to choose a less windy day.

Hi Ryan thanks for stopping by. Having looked up Nursery Web Spider I have to agree with your Ident

Back