Gladstone Pottery Museum-a couple of shots from the outside on last day of 2016

1) Interesting shapes & textures - needs good light to make the most of that, and preferably an interesting sky behind.

2&3) Both are tilted and lack a sense of there being a subject while cutting across window frames.

4) Photographically the best constructed image - there's a subject, lead lines, interesting textures. Focus seems to be slightly in front of the ceramic dishes (so they're OOF) and the lighting is a bit dull again.

Hope that's useful and not just discouraging. Photography is all about light, and it can be really difficult to get interesting pictures on a dull day.

Really useful thanks, these are my first attempts with a "proper" camera. There's so much to learn and you're spot on about shots 2&3. I must admit that after looking at them again I see where I've gone wrong.
I was happiest with 4 but the light was really poor and it was late in the day. I'm very much at the point, shoot and hope for the best stage but I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can.
Thanks again [emoji2]

Tomorrow *should* be nice in some parts of the country, so if you get some sunshine and can abscond for a little while with your camera you may get some more better opportunities. :)

Already planning an early morning trip out. My main interest is my areas industrial heritage and there is a spot nearby where I've visited loads of times but never with a camera.

I notice from your London shots that you've been shooting in jpeg mode only. Might be worth switching the camera to jpeg+RAW so that the images have more potential for manipulation later. What are you doing about processing pictures?

Thanks, I'll try it out.
Processing wise very little, I probably need to emphasise that I am an absolute beginner. Up until getting the camera I had no idea of aperture, ISO, exposure etc. The editing side of it is a complete mystery but one I'm keen to delve into.
Basically I just love the idea of capturing images that interest me. I travel a good deal as well and now being able to record the things I see really excites me.
Any help and advice is always gratefully received!

You don't *have* to learn to process images, but it can make the difference between an image being just OK or being great. There's a free download you could try that will just start you off and does a lot of the tweaking automatically: DXO Optics Pro

It's not the easiest software to use, but it certainly isn't the hardest either and it IS a ful professional package (just a couple of years old) and there's tutorials on Youtube. If you're happy to spend more money then I'd recommend Adobe Lightroom as being a bit more flexible, or you can start off with the basic Nikon image processing software that should be available as a free download from their website.

Back