Glasgow George Square - which sky is better?

Edit My Images
No
2 x 7 shot panorama's of GlasgowGeorge square. I can't decide if I like the lighter or the darker sky.

Lighter
IMG_5448_small.jpg

Darker
IMG_5458_small.jpg

-1 stop on the Darker version as suggested by Stevie
IMG_5458_-_1_stop.jpg

Last edited:
darker for me too ! Really like this..can i ask where you took it from ?

Interesting picture. Been a long time since I've seen Geroge Square. The darker one for me.

Thanks for the comments, looks like dark sky is winning, it is just a pity it loses some of the detail when it is resized from the original 12,800 by 5,100 pixel image.

Images were taken on the 23rd of December between 4:00pm and 4:30pm from the 8th floor of the G1 building or the old post office building if you have been around Glasgow that long.

Both look wonderful, actually. Would you mind sharing a little on how you did this? ;)

Thanks for the comments, looks like dark sky is winning, it is just a pity it loses some of the detail when it is resized from the original 12,800 by 5,100 pixel image.

Images were taken on the 23rd of December between 4:00pm and 4:30pm from the 8th floor of the G1 building or the old post office building if you have been around Glasgow that long.

I know the one you mean :). You have a nice view if you live there!!

Hi Amy, The front of the building is all offices now and occasionally I do work there, it is a good view. I have a similar shot I took in May when we actually had some blue sky.

Hi Heath, steps below.

1) Camera mounted in portrait orientation on tripod, Aperture Priority f11
2) Several sets of 7 shots taken between 16:00 to 16:30
3) Imported into Lightroom and for each shot made 2 virtual copies, modified exposure of copies by -1.5 and +1.5 stops
4) Exported to Photomatix Pro and selected the auto fusion preset, I don't know a huge amount about Photomatix yet so I still use the sample presets.
5) Exported jpegs after reimporting into Lightroom.
6) Combined seven jpegs in Microsoft Image Composite Editor and saved new image with highest quality settings.
7) Imported image back into Lightroom for final crop and straightening.

and that was all there was to it,

Really like the darker image. Vibrant colours suit the subject well.

Another for the darker sky here!
The buildings on the skyline appear sharper in this version too.
Thanks for sharing your workflow too, I have just recently acquired photomatix. Iain

Dark for me mate...and Id actually like to see the exposure dropped a stop in this...great capture...

STEVIER

-1 stop version added for comparison, I am not sure if it is maybe just too dark, maybe it only needs -0.5 stop.

I stand corrected...the Darker looks better...the -1 stops seems to lose the edge...

STEVIER

Back