Glencoe - Alpine Winter style

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd post a closer to home series to celebrate what is coming Friday at 11pm :D

Along the West Highland Way...

_DSC3044 - Version 4 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

A Foggy Dawn on Tulla

_DSC2950 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

An old Favourite given a spruce up for 2020

_DSC2967 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

It's hip to be square - one of my flagship images given a very different crop.

_DSC6695 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Ice fall - given a different aspect ratio

_DSC2375 - Version 3 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The Buachaille again - this time a 4x3

_DSC2386 - Version 7 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Another Rannoch Moor Sunrise along the west Highland way

_DSC2425 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
That`s a great set Steve, liking No. 3.
Just a question about the 2nd shot, is that someone in the photo taking a photo or taking something else ?

That`s a great set Steve, liking No. 3.
Just a question about the 2nd shot, is that someone in the photo taking a photo or taking something else ?

No one in the frame - it's a bush. Only problem with 100% preview is the corners are a little soft - the 24-70 at 24 doesn't have great edges. I wish I had the Sigma 24mm when I took that.

Bring on Friday
:D :D

Great set Steve.
Love the last one.

The 1st and last are taken from the same spot. I kind of prefer 1 as it has more snow - it looks more wintery as you cannot see the grasses. I'd have loved the snow cover of one with the lighting of the last. When sunrise was happening at shot one, I was taking two and three after a night in a tent (I was minus wheels so beggars couldn't be choosers - needless to say - it was cold and unpleasant but the pictures sure rolled off that day)

Maybe this is the year where I will snow like shot one with light like the last done!!!

Last edited:
Now this is difficult, I like to pick a favourite but I'm really struggling here. 2+3 swing it, I think but you have to love a well executed Buachaille shot too and those 3 tug at my heartstrings as well but I'm sticking with 2+3! Passed Loch Tulla many a time, yet to photograph it properly.

The early morning Buachaille shot is my favourite of those 3 but I've never seen the falls frozen either, so each of those images has its own interest as well.

The 1 that least floats my boat is number 1 but that's not to say it's a bad image or anything like that, it's nice but not quite sitting right for me. I think it's because it's an unusual composition from that spot to the norm.

I'd be proud of any of these though. (y)

Now this is difficult, I like to pick a favourite but I'm really struggling here. 2+3 swing it, I think but you have to love a well executed Buachaille shot too and those 3 tug at my heartstrings as well but I'm sticking with 2+3! Passed Loch Tulla many a time, yet to photograph it properly.

The early morning Buachaille shot is my favourite of those 3 but I've never seen the falls frozen either, so each of those images has its own interest as well.

The 1 that least floats my boat is number 1 but that's not to say it's a bad image or anything like that, it's nice but not quite sitting right for me. I think it's because it's an unusual composition from that spot to the norm.

I'd be proud of any of these though. (y)

Number one isn't Lochan na h-Achlaise at all. No access by car. To get here.

1. Turn off the A82 at the Bridge of Orchy hotel direction "Inveroran"
2. Follow narrow road past the Inveroran Hotel and beyond Loch Tulla
3. Park at a small car park
4. Walk along the road then track for 45mins to 1hr depending on fitness and you'll find this spot. I rather like it as it gives you a very different perspective of Meall a'Bhuiridh to that from which you see from Lochan na h-Achlaise and Lochan na Stainge. What it isn't so good is the summer, it's more of a bog than a lake so when its reflection time I don't do this angle. The walk is quite pleasant - you'd enjoy it.

This takes you essentially behind Lochan na h-Achlaise and much much closer to Meall a'Bhuiridh. If you wanted to climb this hill - you'd approach this way I think.

An Alternative couple of compositions.

_DSC3044 (3) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3053 (2) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Don't say I am not good to you :D

Last edited:
Number one isn't Lochan na h-Achlaise at all. No access by car. To get here.

1. Turn off the A82 at the Bridge of Orchy hotel direction "Inveroran"
2. Follow narrow road past the Inveroran Hotel and beyond Loch Tulla
3. Park at a small car park
4. Walk along the road then track for 45mins to 1hr depending on fitness and you'll find this spot.

This takes you essentially behind Lochan na h-Achlaise and much much closer to Meall a'Bhuiridh. If you wanted to climb this hill - you'd approach this way I think.

An Alternative couple of compositions.

_DSC3044 (3) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3053 (2) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Don't say I am not good to you :D

:LOL:

My bad. :coat:

That's still Creise though isn't it? Or am I totally confudled on this one?

"Cracking" set of images, nuff said.

George.

I didn't realise Scotland had voted for independence from the UK yet.......

Nice photographs, obviously......... my fav would be Ice Fall. I know it's a frequent subject but this has that little bit extra.

We are leaving the EU and we are leaving it 11pm tomorrow - just one more sleep :) to celebrate this I thought I’d post some reprocessed UK shots instead of further Pyrenees shots.

You’ve picked my favourite ;)

I can't get enough of sping myself. I'd quite happily follow it all the way from the tropics to the Arctic.

For me its summer and Autumn. A good Autumn is a beautiful thing but for just the sheer process of "being" summer is all kinds of good. I like Spring, late Spring just as the season changes, May is when I get a lot of pictures done. Summer is the season I have the real emotional bond to - these are nice pictures yes - but they are not the moments in life I really cherish.

I always said if I had the money I would have summer in the Southern Hemisphere and Summer in the Northern Hemisphere skipping winter out and getting two Autumns. Right now it's summer in New Zealand and Patagonia :D

3, 4 and 6 you will struggle to beat. The snow is a big part of it, but your style of processing works in harmony here, creating a real winter wonderland feel.

Back