Glencoe Lochan, Glencoe.

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon All

Some shots taken at Glencoe yesterday, I am still very much an amateur when it comes to photography and processing but really starting to enjoy it. Anyway, in January I was in Glencoe trying to do some long exposure with my D80 (starter camera) when i slipped on ice and kicked the tripod over.....bye bye camera!! So I upgraded last month to a D7000 and these are my first trial shots on the new body! I'm using the free trial of LR for processing but still learning and will probably end up buying it once the trial is up. Please feel free to give me any critique/tips or pointers, I like these shots personally but I'm sure I could do way much better and I want to know what I should be looking for and what to avoid!!

On to the shots, I got there around lunchtime and the place was empty which was great as it gave me plenty of time to mess around with settings, I decided to move out of auto and on to Manual to force me to learn more! I'm a bit of reflection junkie and love it when the waters nice and calm, even attempted a bit of long exposure but gave that up pretty quickly :banghead:

Enjoy :)
1.Glencoe Lochan looking West
Glencoe Lochan 1.jpg

2.Glenoce Lochan with a view of the Pap of Glencoe
Glencoe Lochan 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Sherbs

:nikon:

Attachments

• Glencoe Lochan 1.jpg
    Glencoe Lochan 1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 7
I fully agree with Steve :)

Landscapes are very seldom ideal if taken during the middle of the day - there is no modelling of the hills.
The shadows cast at the start and end of the days are far better, as in modelling lights used for portraiture.
You just have to wait for the main light to move...

Thanks folks, I agree I prefer to take shots with a more dramatic sky but getting there for sunrise is not ideal and I left around 8pm and Sod's law when I got home the sun was setting and it had a nice orange tint from it!! still getting to grips with LR so hopefully I can improve! Thanks for taking the time to comment

I agree with what has been said about the light, particularly in the first. For my eyes the reflected cloud looks too bright / close to being blown out so the brightness is a little distracting. I wondered what a square 1:1 on Lightroom crop might look like too. The second I quite like, though I might also have been tempted to not include the foreground.

1. Harsh light, squint horizon don't flatter the scene.
2. Looks good, common take of this subject but a nice enough example of a much taken shot.

Best tip, take your images closer to the start and end of the day ;)
Whilst I agree with the first shot with the wonky horizon but as say that it best to take photos at the start or end of the day is complete nonsense.

Just put this pano through Lightroom, must admit I'm quite impressed

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441218965.782068.jpg

Give it a try, see how you get on....
I do but I also love to take photos during the day, especially sunny days when there is fantastic colours, there are some photographers that only take photos at sunrise and sunset, as where during the day there can be some fantastic skies.

I do but I also love to take photos during the day, especially sunny days when there is fantastic colours, there are some photographers that only take photos at sunrise and sunset, as where during the day there can be some fantastic skies.

I like the 1hr before sunrise, couple of hours after it, couple of hours before sunset, 1hr after. I like sunny days, but hate harshness but rather for landscapes enjoy some shadow and plays of light.

Good skies need good light. Different location (TBH the Lochan at Glencoe would really sing in autumn) but below is a series that shows why sitting around a bit can pay off.

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-scotland-glencoe-area/

Back