Scotland Glencoe March 16th to 19th 2017

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I going to get a pair of these for the trip to enable me to get a different perspective.....and quite possibly very wet :)

Cheers.

I urge everyone to look at the link and in particular the "Good Bit" of the review by Amazon Customer on 7 April 2014. Made me lol!

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Signal rock is very close to the torren lochan. Torren lochan is 2mins by car past the Clachaig Inn on the left hand side of the road.

Glencoe lochan is along the village road past the houses and come to a bend, there is a sign for the carpark( road splits in 2- take right side) to the carpark. At end of carpark is a marked footpath follow the signs for 2 mins walk to the lochan

Both lochans are only minutes apart by car.

Last edited:
Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Signal rock is very close to the torren lochan. Torren lochan is 2mins by car past the Clachaig Inn on the left hand side of the road.

Glencoe lochan is along the village road past the houses and cone to a bend, there is a sign for the carpark( road splits in 2- take right side) to the carpark. At end of carpark is a marked footpath follow the signs for 2 mins walk to the lochan

Both lochans are only minutes apart by car.

Cheers @markyboy.1967 ....you're the best :kiss: :D:D

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey we dont get traffic jams in Glencoe. Lol. Thats more an English thing is it not?
When ever I get home after being stuck in another traffic jam on the M62 or the biggest car park in England, the bloody M6, I look at these cams and think, lucky ba**ards!!! ...........its a bit of highlight if one captures a car on the road :D

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, unless something goes horribly wrong, I'm going to join you lot if that's OK? I'll wild camp; is anyone else doing that?

Edit My Images
No
Very late to the party on this one but might be interested if there's space? Don't want to make the group "over-sized" if you already have enough.

Would need to find some accomodation of course.

Edit My Images
No
Ok am thinking about this more seriously now. A few questions...

1. Are more people still welcome to come?
2. How much climbing is likely to be involved? I'm fine with long walks but am not the fittest person and would struggle if all people are doing is hiking up mountains :(
3. When are people planning to arrive on the 16th? It'd take me most of a day just to get there and would need to leave on Sunday so thinking might be best coming up on the 15th.

This would be dependent on finding accommodation of course. I need my creature comforts and don't mind paying the extra - the Clachaig looks good but don't know if they have space.

Name
Rich

2. How much climbing is likely to be involved? I'm fine with long walks but am not the fittest person and would struggle if all people are doing is hiking up mountains :(
3. When are people planning to arrive on the 16th? It'd take me most of a day just to get there and would need to leave on Sunday so thinking might be best coming up on the 15th.

This would be dependent on finding accommodation of course. I need my creature comforts and don't mind paying the extra - the Clachaig looks good but don't know if they have space.
I am thinking that people would be spread out across the whole of Glencoe as I can imagine that not everyone will want to go to the same places at the same times.

I guess if you feel unable to scale the hills then stick with the flatter terrain walks. I've never done much climbing in Glencoe as there are a phenomenal amount of beautiful view points by the road side or within a short walk.

I will be heading up early on 16th and will get straight in to the action if the weather permits, also leaving on the Sunday.

Guess it might be an idea to exchange a few phone numbers about so we can get an idea of where groups are perhaps?

I stayed in the Balachulish hotel recently and that was very cheap (£40 via Hotels.com) with a good brekky.

Edit My Images
No
Thanks for the info.

I'm coming from Birmingham so it's an 8 hour trip. Even if I leave at like 5/6am, I'm not going to get there until after lunch and would likely be too knackered to go out walking straight away.
Guess it's thus a choice between coming up a day early or coming up on the 16th, going out on the 17th/18th and then home on the 19th. Just feels like I'd be spending as much time driving as I would walking.
Coming up on the 15th adds accommodation expense but adds an extra day up there.

First of all, If I decide to do this, am I welcome? :) Don't want to presume and book leave/hotels etc

Edit My Images
No
Will check if I can get the leave and have a think.

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
It will take me 9 odd hours to drive in one go so will be stopping probably in the Lakes for a night or two before Glencoe. Similar to Richie, it's a big group but should be great fun. I would like to climb up one of the mountains but only if I feel safe and the weather is ok otherwise it's just low level stuff although there's plenty of photography from Loch Tulla to castle Stalker and further afield.

Edit My Images
No
Yeah was thinking that, could set off straight from work on Wednesday evening and get halfway, maybe around Penrith, stop somewhere cheap and then do the rest on the Thursday morning. Means I'm earlier/fresher on the Thursday and don't need another day off work.

Would need to set off by lunchtime on Sunday to get back that night, then off to the Photography Show on the Monday!

Edit My Images
No
I'm in. Leave approved and just waiting to hear back from the hotel - going to stay at the Clachaig

Edit My Images
No
All sorted & hotel booked. @Mardybum can you add me to the list? :)

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes

Have a look at the Ballachulish Hotel. Cheap but nice and does at great breakfast! That's where I stay when running workshops :)