Scotland Glencoe March 16th to 19th 2017

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
How long does it take to walk to this view point on average? Is it best to start off behind the Kingshouse Hotel?
About 45 mins mate, park at Altnafeadh and walk back towards the Buachaille along the A82. You'll come to a gate, go through it and walk back on yourself along the fence line till it ceers off left then just walk right up the side. There isn't a proper path but you can't miss the viewpoint. There's a small tarn there too but you shoot from the rocks just next to it for the best view. You an walk further along Beinn a'Chrulaiste to get a more front on view of the Buachaille but it's a long walk and quite boggy and you don't REALLY gain much :)

It's not a hard walk :)

Last edited:
Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
About 45 mins mate, park at Altnafeadh and walk back towards the Buachaille along the A82. You'll come to a gate, go through it and walk back on yourself along the fence line till it ceers off left then just walk right up the side. There isn't a proper path but you can't miss the viewpoint. There's a small tarn there too but you shoot from the rocks just next to it for the best view. You an walk further along Beinn a'Chrulaiste to get a more front on view of the Buachaille but it's a long walk and quite boggy and you don't REALLY gain much :)

Cheers Nick, good info(y)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No

Thank you sir.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking on Google maps, there seems to be a path marked W Highland Way or the old Military Road?
Screenshot_20170309-153206.png

It's the old military road you want to walk along. If you go up the west Highland way it'll take you up the devil's staircase which is the wrong direction for Beinn a'Chrulaiste. If you park at Altnafeadh and walk back along the road (past the holiday cottage and the wooded area) stay on the path that runs alongside the fence keeping the road on your right. You'll come to a gate, go through it and walk back on yourself along the fence. Just stay with the fence line it turns right and you walk up and steep but short hill, you'll see the shoulder of the mountain as you're walking up and you just make your way up (it's to the right lol) stay to the right (ish) as you ascend and you'll come to the shoulder outcrop, it's a bit of a scramble over rocky terrain near the top but it's not difficult. You'll know you're on the right bit when you stand up and it's dead windy haha. You'll see the little tarn about 20ft below you to your left before another big incline. Forget about the second big incline as the view from where you'll already be stood is bloody spectacular!!!

Last edited:
Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
As above. You can actually walk right down into the back of Kinlochleven from the devil's staircase route if I'm right, which is a nice walk rather than the usual up/down a hill :)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Can someone point me to which camp site to book please: Izzy is coming with me now so wild camping is off the cards :)

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Ya want me to drive ya there and take ya photographs as well ;)
Ooh, yes please. I'm thinking I can probably download them on my own, but if anyone else wants to help out......................?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Umm, the campsite looks great, thanks, but how the hell do you book it?! There's no booking link OR phone number in their site!!

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so the menu only appears on the desktop site, but having found it they say just turn up; seems like quite a risk after a very long drive and late arrival. Anyone been there before? Is it safe to assume there will be spaces?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Yeah but it says only for groups - average campers to just turn up.

I'll give it a try anyway :)

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so the menu only appears on the desktop site, but having found it they say just turn up; seems like quite a risk after a very long drive and late arrival. Anyone been there before? Is it safe to assume there will be spaces?
Drove past it last Saturday and there was lots of spaces

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Whatsapp....getting some right stick lately with pre meet chat :D

I WILL NOT CHECK THE WEATHER FORECAST

Until Wednesday :naughty:

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Hmm. I'm in Warsaw. It's a bit of a drive...

I get back to Edinburgh on Thursday, but I'll probably have to work for a day or two.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks. Ignore the forecast. Yes use it as a guide but don't be disheartened if it says it's gonna P down. I was on Skye last weekend and it was forecast 100% rain both days but we had some great conditions.

Glencoe is the same, I've been up on days where it's been forecast rain and we've had beautiful sunsets but at the same time I've been up with a good forecast and it's been wall to wall rain lol.

These were all taken on Skye at last weekend, despite all the weather forecasts saying it was gonna be wet :)

2017-03-05_06-51-54.jpeg 2017-03-06_02-11-06.jpeg 2017-03-05_06-51-34.jpeg

Last edited:

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
You do realise that ALL weather forecasts are total ...........
FTFY!

Morning, mention has been made of a curry Saturday night, think Rich is going to book a table for 19 :)
19:30 is a better time for a curry IMO. BTW, anyone camping near Brian might need at least 2 sets of ear protection after a curry... (And be upwind!)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning, mention has been made of a curry Saturday night, think Rich is going to book a table for 19 :)
We're up for that please, so here's two of the 19 :)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
PS, there's 20 coming according to the list in post one. Who's Billy no mates?