Glencoe Sunrise - One from a recent workshop.

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I grabbed these on a recent workshop last week. Once I got my client comfortable and ready for what was one of the best mornings I ever saw I couldn't resist a few shots and the client wanted a few demonstration shots on how I work.

Whilst I don't shoot time lapses (I really should) I do like to stick with one location and shoot as the light changes rather than move around taking lots of different shots. All these pictures look and feel completely different yet bar adjusting the tripod height (ever so slightly) they are all composed the same. I find it best to arrive early - get a good feeling of what the weathers doing - where the clouds are and aren't - what the wind is doing and pick a spot and commit to it. I hate rushing around preferring a calmer more relaxed way to take pictures. Some of these are 2:1 and the laters 16:9 - I am in in need of a new desktop background :D

We spent the best of the morning here before moving along to Loch Tulla. I didn't bother taking any pictures there though. It wasn't green enough for me but I love this little spot as these grasses turn green before anything else.

_DSC3981 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC4036 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC4054 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC4064 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

All great, but I love the 1st one Steve (y)

I thought I'd found that pool the last time I was there but it was one further up river.

Anyway, lovely set, you seem to be going through a bit of a muted colours phase, or more accurately, capturing as it is to the eye, I like them all but the 1st is a topper. That must've been early.

note to self, must get there soon.

I thought I'd found that pool the last time I was there but it was one further up river.

Anyway, lovely set, you seem to be going through a bit of a muted colours phase, or more accurately, capturing as it is to the eye, I like them all but the 1st is a topper. That must've been early.

note to self, must get there soon.

I’m preferring a more natural rendering approach as opposed to very strong colours although in the case of one the red saturation and luminance was pushed a lot. It looked like that with the eye but the raw was very faded as I had to under expose to keep the blues in the sky then I just brought it all back in curves. The others ball pop more than the RAWs also. Tbh my favourite is actually the last with the strong but not quite harsh light hitting the mountain.

It was early - the workshop client was game for an early one and it paid off.

Last edited:
I think 1 or 4 for me, though I'd brighten 1 a touch - just looks a little underexposed and if you do brighten will want a bit of contrast to keep the punch

Back