SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
A while back I posted a series of B&W renditions of my trip(s) to Glencoe. Here are the colour ones

Black Rock Cottage

_DSC1609_Rendition 1 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Frozen Falls - I hadn't intended on taking this picture but when I saw the frozen falls I new I had too. It's not the popularity that actually kills this spot for me, its the clutter and mess it has become. No-one was here on this occassion

_DSC2375 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Further upstream

_DSC2386 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

And an epic sunrise the following morning on Rannoch Moor

_DSC2421 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Steve, your getting the hang of this Glencoe winter stuff. Not your favourite season up there but i love it when there is enough snowfall. Lovely images. Like number 1 best but all good for various reasons.

Thanks - it really isn't my favourite season. It's a toss up between summer and autumn. I cannot wait for summer to be back to be honest and I can really find my mojo again. These will do to wrap up 2017 though.

They're all very nice Steve. The first is my favourite, that red door adds to it a lot, is that the same photo as the mono one you posted? EDIT - Reading fail.

Number 2 I may have either cropped if you're happy to change the aspect ratio, or slightly re-composed so that the rock that is half in the frame at the bottom is not there as I think it's stronger without it. But that's being picky.

A very nice set you should be proud of, especially if you don't like the winter.

They're all very nice Steve. The first is my favourite, that red door adds to it a lot, is that the same photo as the mono one you posted? EDIT - Reading fail.

Number 2 I may have either cropped if you're happy to change the aspect ratio, or slightly re-composed so that the rock that is half in the frame at the bottom is not there as I think it's stronger without it. But that's being picky.

A very nice set you should be proud of, especially if you don't like the winter.

Good comments re 2. If you keep it on 4x5 and crop you start to move the tree too close to the edge and cut off the mountain. I tried a square (as I kind of love square images) but to get enough sky in you get too close to the edge of the frozen fall. The answer might have been a zoom lens but I personally don't think the 16-35 is upto the job of the D810 but the 20mm AF G is a real winner and my choice of wide lens for a Nikon body.

Good comments re 2. If you keep it on 4x5 and crop you start to move the tree too close to the edge and cut off the mountain. I tried a square (as I kind of love square images) but to get enough sky in you get too close to the edge of the frozen fall. The answer might have been a zoom lens but I personally don't think the 16-35 is upto the job of the D810 but the 20mm AF G is a real winner and my choice of wide lens for a Nikon body.

Ah didn't spot that you were using a prime, that does make the composition trickier. I favour primes for Landscape too generally, I find it more satisfying and really have to take my time with composition as you obviously don't have the flexibility of the zoom.

Ah didn't spot that you were using a prime, that does make the composition trickier. I favour primes for Landscape too generally, I find it more satisfying and really have to take my time with composition as you obviously don't have the flexibility of the zoom.
I agree for the most part. My only downer on them is changing them over and dirt getting in. I concede the the BRC wasn't taken with a prime but a zoom as I had the ART 35 on me which I took a few with, but realised I wanted a square so used my other D810 where a 24-70 lives and took it in portrait at 27mm. The answer is a 28mm prime from Nikkor but I'm skint the now :(

Great effort, Steve, for a self confessed non winter lover. Already commented on Instagram but number one is my favourite and as mentioned above, the red door really makes it. Love the last one as well, what a fantastic sunrise shot.

Thanks. I liked yours too. I wish I went up as the reflections you shot would have worked well for me.
I think there was a ‘day’ window for the Loch to be as it was for me. The day before it was covered in snow, the day after the ice had pretty much melted!!. Got lucky (for once) :D

Number 1 for me, with maybe a tad off the bottom, that's alovely, soft pallette image and should be on your wall.

I like the others too and number 2 comes 2nd from this batch. I've kind of lost my mojo about the place at the moment though but I've not given up on it, I'll be back.

Back