B&W Glencoe Winter scenes from last week

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Lacking in imagination but an IBS attack on the journey up meant finding a toilet quickly which happened to be at the Ski Center. After dropping my guts I stopped here first as it was looking quite tasty all covered in the white stuff.

_DSC1609 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Made my way round to the Coupall

_DSC2375 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Then upstream

_DSC2386 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

And upstream again

_DSC2400 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Then the following day back to Rannoch Moor

_DSC2442 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice work. 2+4 for me, with the first image in the running too. The first image seems to be at an odd angle but I know there are weird perspectives there as I've been caught out by it myself. What might look a slanty image actually isn't.

I'm not sure on the last image, it's a lovely spot and the image does it justice but I feel it could have a better POV or maybe composition.

I think the 4th should be on your wall!

A lovely set, well worth the trouble I suspect!

I'd hang them on my wall ;)

lovely shots steve
i prefer these to your reflection shots you post all the time
good to see what else you can do but thats just my opinion

…can't resist the first, Steve! (y)

Lovely part of the world and I have to agree with Kodiak, the first one is the pick of the set!
That house is on the 'to buy if I win Euromillions' list for me!

Lovely part of the world and I have to agree with Kodiak, the first one is the pick of the set!
That house is on the 'to buy if I win Euromillions' list for me!

You’d think that but having people set up tripods in your front garden pretty much 365 days/yr would get tiring.

The Forest Lodge down at Loch Tulla would be far more private

You’d think that but having people set up tripods in your front garden pretty much 365 days/yr would get tiring.

The Forest Lodge down at Loch Tulla would be far more private
To be honest, if I was buying anywhere it would be Glen Etive House down by the loch and a decent 4x4 to get in and out.
Nice choice to have, eh?! :)

Ooooh I like these! The processing works really well in the first 3 and they are my favourites, the 4th seems to have more of a green/blue tinge, which i think if you change to match the first 3 will work better as a set.

Ooooh I like these! The processing works really well in the first 3 and they are my favourites, the 4th seems to have more of a green/blue tinge, which i think if you change to match the first 3 will work better as a set.

Thanks - the toning isn't quite right in 4 and it's one I will revisit later. Thats the part I find the hardest in B&W is getting the toning right.

I love the first the next three are all very well done but having looked on Flickr I reckon the last is a colour shot looking the shot posted next to it.
The last is too grey especially in the foreground.

I love the first the next three are all very well done but having looked on Flickr I reckon the last is a colour shot looking the shot posted next to it.
The last is too grey especially in the foreground.

I guess - processed it really as an afterthought in one where the colours faded out a bit. Since binned it LOL as the colour is the one and I'll post these soon.

Nice set Steve and from a cracking area. You cant beat the snow and cold weather up there albeit much harder to get about without a 4x4 though.

Nice set Steve and from a cracking area. You cant beat the snow and cold weather up there albeit much harder to get about without a 4x4 though.

Honestly, I still prefer summer with the green grasses, long shadows, golden light and white fluffy clouds. I prefer the feeling of the sun on my back rather than the crunch of snow beneath my feet. The snow sure is pretty and it's good to produce some different looking and feeling work but as a time of year it leaves me cold, in the literal and emotional sense. The white stuff lightens it all up but for me, its summer and Autumn.

Car wise, I drive an E class Mercedes and stick a set of winter tyres on. They don't defy physics but you rarely see the traction light flicker even moving off uphill from a snowy layby which is all I need of it. The braking performance is much improved with them fitted.

Last edited:
Honestly, I still prefer summer with the green grasses, long shadows, golden light and white fluffy clouds. I prefer the feeling of the sun on my back rather than the crunch of snow beneath my feet. The snow sure is pretty and it's good to produce some different looking and feeling work but as a time of year it leaves me cold, in the literal and emotional sense. The white stuff lightens it all up but for me, its summer and Autumn.

Nowt wrong with that Steve, that's the beauty of photography.
I love the winter for the moodiness and miserable weather at times, just like me I suppose but then the daylight hours are far kinder. Nothing enjoyable about a silly o clock start in my eyes and very rarely do sunsets during the summer months for that very reason of long days.

what a great set

Nice to see some b&w from you and I love these. The second one especially, with the tree it almost has an infrared feel to it.

Finally got round to revisiting this.

_DSC2400 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

IBS is such a pain in the ass it's unreal. I had other plans for that morning LOL

Another one here that suffers with IBS, being a landscape enthusiast with this is chronic, I find it somewhat dictates where you shoot!!

Anyway, nice set Steve, looking to get up here again soon when the snow dumps again [emoji106]

Another one here that suffers with IBS, being a landscape enthusiast with this is chronic, I find it somewhat dictates where you shoot!!

Anyway, nice set Steve, looking to get up here again soon when the snow dumps again [emoji106]

It does make a lot of things awkward for sure. It all worked out ok on the day though.

There’s been snow off and on but I want it all the way down with some good weather to follow. Usually a good freeze will do it and that also brings that lovely clear air too.

Back