Globby

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
This is, I'm told by FransJanssens@www.collembola.org via the Flickr Collembola group, a female Allacma fusca forma usignata. It was rushing around on an ivy leaf in a local wood.

The images were captured hand-held using autofocus with my Panasonic FZ330 bridge camera with two stacked Raynox 150 close-up lenses and a KX800 twin flash. [Edit: It may have been a Raynox 250 stacked on a 150. That would make the size around 2mm. If it was two 150s stacked then it would have been more like 3mm. When looking at them I do tend to estimate them to be smaller than they are, but I really do think that 3mm is rather large - I'm sure I would have been able to tell what it was with the naked eye at that size, but I couldn't. That makes me think it was more likely to have been a 150 and a 250.]

The raw files were batch processed in DXO Optics Pro and Silkypix, with image-specific adjustments in Lightroom. There are 1300 pixel high versions in this album at Flickr.

12011 07 2017_07_09 P1360274_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

12011 08 2017_07_09 P1360275_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h

12011 11 2017_07_09 P1360282_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h

12011 13 2017_07_09 P1360286_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h

12011 14 2017_07_09 P1360240_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h

Last edited:
What a fantastic globby to find. Quality shots, quality bug.

Thanks Paul. I think it's the prettiest one (or at least the most interesting looking one) I've come across so far.

Never seen one of those before!

You may have to look quite hard to find them. This one may have been around 2mm long. (For some reason when I look at them I always seem to think they are smaller than what I come up with when I calculate the size from one of the images.)

Beautiful detail nick a weird looking thing?

Thanks Kevin. I've certainly never seen patterning anything like that before. But there again, I've never seen loads of the very different looking globbies you can see images of. I think I've only ever seen a handful of species prior to this one, and they have all been rather plain looking.

Very nice find and well shot too.
I have not seen that species myself

Great find and great shots, I almost never see them on leaves, under pieces of wood*is so much better (although at this time of year I prefer to concentrate on seasonal subjects as opposed to all year ones).
*leaving wood in the garden can be unpopular my wife made me throw some of it out in case it attracts vermin so I put it in the front garden where she never goes, hopefully she will never find it there.

Great find and great shots, I almost never see them on leaves, under pieces of wood*is so much better (although at this time of year I prefer to concentrate on seasonal subjects as opposed to all year ones).
*leaving wood in the garden can be unpopular my wife made me throw some of it out in case it attracts vermin so I put it in the front garden where she never goes, hopefully she will never find it there.

Thanks David. I never lift anything up; perhaps I should. I think one possible advantage of leaving things alone is that if I do find something small on a leaf it tends to go on about its business while I photograph it, rather than rushing off out of sight when disturbed. Or perhaps they don't rush off?

As to concentrating on seasonal subjects, I'm having difficulty finding anything at the moment, either in our garden or at the nature reserves, and am photographing whatever I can find, which is mainly the same species I have seen before. That is one reason I'm photographing smaller things this year; previously there has been plenty of larger (and easier) things to photograph, so I didn't bother with the smaller things.

Thanks David. I never lift anything up; perhaps I should. I think one possible advantage of leaving things alone is that if I do find something small on a leaf it tends to go on about its business while I photograph it, rather than rushing off out of sight when disturbed. Or perhaps they don't rush off?

As to concentrating on seasonal subjects, I'm having difficulty finding anything at the moment, either in our garden or at the nature reserves, and am photographing whatever I can find, which is mainly the same species I have seen before. That is one reason I'm photographing smaller things this year; previously there has been plenty of larger (and easier) things to photograph, so I didn't bother with the smaller things.
I don't know about lifting things up. I leave small things which are really easy to lift up. The only velvet mites I have ever photographed were on the bottom of a planter. Often enough insects etc don't rush off so you can photograph something in winter I would photograph nothing if I lifted nothing up - we have a very small garden so have to maximise the amount of places to find things.

I am very surprised you are not seeing much where you are, this has been a great few weeks here for insects. I went to the playground to practice passing a rugby ball with my son and as we were leaving I found this (the sun was so bright I had to use flash to overcome the glare).
Butterfly IMG_5699 by davholla2002, on Flickr
Comma IMG_5709 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Yesterday in a 10 minute walk to the high street I saw a large hoverfly (sadly in a hurry so couldn't photograph it) My problem is lack of time to photograph things and to sort out the photos.

Often enough insects etc don't rush off

Ah, perhaps I will try that then.

I am very surprised you are not seeing much where you are, this has been a great few weeks here for insects.

Well, I'm glad there are more around elsewhere. That's good news.

Back