1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Okay Guest, it's coming up to the festive season. If you'd like to take part in this year's Secret Santa gift exchange, click the link below and speak to our resident Jolly Red Guy.

Dismiss Notice
  1. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    This is, I'm told by FransJanssens@www.collembola.org via the Flickr Collembola group, a female Allacma fusca forma usignata. It was rushing around on an ivy leaf in a local wood.

The images were captured hand-held using autofocus with my Panasonic FZ330 bridge camera with two stacked Raynox 150 close-up lenses and a KX800 twin flash. [Edit: It may have been a Raynox 250 stacked on a 150. That would make the size around 2mm. If it was two 150s stacked then it would have been more like 3mm. When looking at them I do tend to estimate them to be smaller than they are, but I really do think that 3mm is rather large - I'm sure I would have been able to tell what it was with the naked eye at that size, but I couldn't. That makes me think it was more likely to have been a 150 and a 250.]

The raw files were batch processed in DXO Optics Pro and Silkypix, with image-specific adjustments in Lightroom. There are 1300 pixel high versions in this album at Flickr.

[​IMG]
    12011 07 2017_07_09 P1360274_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h
    by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    12011 08 2017_07_09 P1360275_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h

[​IMG]
    12011 11 2017_07_09 P1360282_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h

[​IMG]
    12011 13 2017_07_09 P1360286_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h

[​IMG]
    12011 14 2017_07_09 P1360240_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    davholla, alfbranch and mjmountain like this.
  2. Paul Iddon

Paul Iddon

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    What a fantastic globby to find. Quality shots, quality bug.

Paul.

GardenersHelper likes this.
  3. mjmountain

mjmountain

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Never seen one of those before!

4. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Paul. I think it's the prettiest one (or at least the most interesting looking one) I've come across so far.

You may have to look quite hard to find them. This one may have been around 2mm long. (For some reason when I look at them I always seem to think they are smaller than what I come up with when I calculate the size from one of the images.)

5. holty

holty

Edit My Images:
    No
    brilliant shots

6. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thank you. :)

7. cruso

cruso

Name:
    kevin
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Beautiful detail nick a weird looking thing?

8. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Kevin. I've certainly never seen patterning anything like that before. But there again, I've never seen loads of the very different looking globbies you can see images of. I think I've only ever seen a handful of species prior to this one, and they have all been rather plain looking.

9. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Very nice find and well shot too.
    I have not seen that species myself

10. davholla

davholla

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Great find and great shots, I almost never see them on leaves, under pieces of wood*is so much better (although at this time of year I prefer to concentrate on seasonal subjects as opposed to all year ones).
    *leaving wood in the garden can be unpopular my wife made me throw some of it out in case it attracts vermin so I put it in the front garden where she never goes, hopefully she will never find it there.

11. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Alf. It is the first time I have seen this one.

12. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks David. I never lift anything up; perhaps I should. I think one possible advantage of leaving things alone is that if I do find something small on a leaf it tends to go on about its business while I photograph it, rather than rushing off out of sight when disturbed. Or perhaps they don't rush off?

As to concentrating on seasonal subjects, I'm having difficulty finding anything at the moment, either in our garden or at the nature reserves, and am photographing whatever I can find, which is mainly the same species I have seen before. That is one reason I'm photographing smaller things this year; previously there has been plenty of larger (and easier) things to photograph, so I didn't bother with the smaller things.

davholla likes this.
  13. ChrisA

ChrisA

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Impressive looking chap. Last one for me is the pick of the bunch.

14. davholla

davholla

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't know about lifting things up. I leave small things which are really easy to lift up. The only velvet mites I have ever photographed were on the bottom of a planter. Often enough insects etc don't rush off so you can photograph something in winter I would photograph nothing if I lifted nothing up - we have a very small garden so have to maximise the amount of places to find things.

I am very surprised you are not seeing much where you are, this has been a great few weeks here for insects. I went to the playground to practice passing a rugby ball with my son and as we were leaving I found this (the sun was so bright I had to use flash to overcome the glare).
    [​IMG]Butterfly IMG_5699 by davholla2002, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Comma IMG_5709 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Yesterday in a 10 minute walk to the high street I saw a large hoverfly (sadly in a hurry so couldn't photograph it) My problem is lack of time to photograph things and to sort out the photos.

15. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Chris.

16. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ah, perhaps I will try that then.

Well, I'm glad there are more around elsewhere. That's good news.

davholla likes this.
  17. davholla

davholla

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  18. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    We have lavender, although it is a bit awkward to get it. It does attract plenty of bees, although they move around so much I rarely try photographing them.