Gloves

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Please recommend you fav gloves,if they aren't green/brown or something akin to that I'm already out,the colour is a need (one moves one's hands),

I also want complete dextreity with fiddly camera buttons,water proof windproof beathable(mayby)? So not that picky . A tool for a job I suspect this is a winter mitt and I'll use what I have in summer. But I want something tha will work and you nature nuts that play with cameras must have and use tools I haven't yet found

Many thanks in advance for any help. I was watching Morten Hilmer on the mountain hares in scotty have a look noted the gloves. Plus a recent expereince had also made me think I can use/find something better for my purposes

many thanks

stu

Hi Stu

I have found North Face e-tip glove to be good (not the warmest if that’s what you are after) but work with touch screen phones, thin enough to still work camera controls etc not a bad price if you shop around, I purchased mine from the Northface outlet store in Street, Somerset for around £20

Bob Adam Adam Bob thanks both sealskinz i'm aware of but not the north face.

Adam the warmth is a factor of course but I've got to have that dexerity as you both know mind even thin gloves make a hell of a difference if fingers aren't exposed and are dry !!

cheers lads

stu

I have bought lots of Gloves recently over the past year or so (more than listed below just can't remember all).

1) Barbour Fishing gloves - didn't find them very good in cold weather
2) Snowbee Lightwieght gloves - not really suited for winter but ok in average cold nights
3) North Face as mentioned above, not bad apart from when it it really cold or windy as they don't keep your hands warm enough then
4) Rab fold back mitt with glove inside - Not bad but the thumbs are still covered and I found that a little fidly
5) Vallerret Photography Glove : Markhof Pro : Quite disappointed with them, did not keep hands warm and quite awkward to use. I got the Merino liner from them hoping that would help but it didn't . I will say their customer service is excellent just not the glove.

And now the winner:

The Heat Company : Heat 3 Smart Glove

http://www.theheatcompany.com/en/gloves/heat-3-smart

Not cheap but does the job! I thought they may be too bulky but not at all. Unlike the other gloves which would either not keep your hands warm or not warm them after being cold these did both. With a warm hands warmer in the told if my Hands got cold (when mitt back) I'd but the mitt back down, zip it up and before long warm hands again.

Last edited:
In colder weather I use some have sealskinz gloves. They are warm but the waterproofing can be interesting. whilst my hands don’t get wet the outer glove material soaked up so much water you could wring it out by squeezing the glove. To be fair I was out in pouring rain in the lakes for about 5-6 hours! When a little warmer I have a pair of the north face etip. The etip worked well whilst it lasted. It’s not worked for a while which can be a pain. Weirdly the seal skinz gloves work fine with my iphone.

In colder weather I use some have sealskinz gloves. They are warm but the waterproofing can be interesting. whilst my hands don’t get wet the outer glove material soaked up so much water you could wring it out by squeezing the glove. To be fair I was out in pouring rain in the lakes for about 5-6 hours! When a little warmer I have a pair of the north face etip. The etip worked well whilst it lasted. It’s not worked for a while which can be a pain. Weirdly the seal skinz gloves work fine with my iphone.
Thanks Rob I have to admit the phone is not a concern thanks for chiming in Buddy all the experiences really help !!

stu

I have bought lots of Gloves recently over the past year or so (more than listed below just can't remember all).

1) Barbour Fishing gloves - didn't find them very good in cold weather
2) Snowbee Lightwieght gloves - not really suited for winter but ok in average cold nights
3) North Face as mentioned above, not bad apart from when it it really cold or windy as they don't keep your hands warm enough then
4) Rab fold back mitt with glove inside - Not bad but the thumbs are still covered and I found that a little fidly
5) Vallerret Photography Glove : Markhof Pro : Quite disappointed with them, did not keep hands warm and quite awkward to use. I got the Merino liner from them hoping that would help but it didn't . I will say their customer service is excellent just not the glove.

And now the winner:

The Heat Company : Heat 3 Smart Glove

http://www.theheatcompany.com/en/gloves/heat-3-smart

Not cheap but does the job! I thought they may be too bulky but not at all. Unlike the other gloves which would either not keep your hands warm or not warm them after being cold these did both. With a warm hands warmer in the told if my Hands got cold (when mitt back) I'd but the mitt back down, zip it up and before long warm hands again.

Jase thank you very much for this great little post, one I hope will be useful for others as well, Appreciate your time Jason !!

my reality is it's the extremes here that are catching me out with wildlife moments can be so precious . Frankly I'd not even considered this kind of expensense,but good tools work and last so I always see this type of thing (good cloths) as an investment,when it's one's body one is protecting serious consideration is important .I'd thought about digging through shooting hunting type suppliers,as oft the stuff tailor for air rifle users is really appicable to use, plus good value(I'm sure if it's built for a tog they add a 0 to prices) . I hadn't thought of glove designed for the mititary until the vid I watched really

Great stuff mate,these little things have the potential to screw up moments worked for ages for,my glasses caught me yesterday blind as a bat through steaming up,took the wrong pair out DOH. Plus if one is out for hours and hours being warm and comfy is essential not only for one's own enjoyment but keeping still

Thanks again mate i'm going to have a serious think about this range they seem ideal mind the cost is let's say surprising,I didn't see that coming lol !!

stu

Thanks Rob I have to admit the phone is not a concern thanks for chiming in Buddy all the experiences really help !!

stu
I find both gloves good, I’ve not changed them even though there are those issues. Most of the time using a phone isn’t the biggest issue for me either, it just when I’m doing long exposures and checking the app on my phone for adjusted shutter speeds it becomes a problem. I’m starting to think there is no perfect glove, most have an issue somewhere.

I recently bought a pair of silk glove liners for an Arctic trip from Mountain Warehouse for about 10 quid, and I plan to buy a pair of Kaiser Photographers convertible gloves to go over them. Best price i could find for these is HDEW at #19. (Damn I've lost my Pound symbol!)

https://www.hdewextra.co.uk/kaiser-outdoor-photo-functional-gloves-black-size-m-6370

Same principle as those $200 ones in the video!

The problem with gloves I find is losing them. That's why I try to spend as little as possible.

Last edited:
I find both gloves good, I’ve not changed them even though there are those issues. Most of the time using a phone isn’t the biggest issue for me either, it just when I’m doing long exposures and checking the app on my phone for adjusted shutter speeds it becomes a problem. I’m starting to think there is no perfect glove, most have an issue somewhere.

I recently bought a pair of silk glove liners for an Arctic trip from Mountain Warehouse for about 10 quid, and I plan to buy a pair of Kaiser Photographers convertible gloves to go over them. Best price i could find for these is HDEW at #19. (Damn I've lost my Pound symbol!)

https://www.hdewextra.co.uk/kaiser-outdoor-photo-functional-gloves-black-size-m-6370

Same principle as those $200 ones in the video!

The problem with gloves I find is losing them. That's why I try to spend as little as possible.

Really I think that's where I'm at Rob,the gear I use is ok but not ideal,it very likely that what you are using is also a step upwards from mine. The nearer something gets to perfect for a job the law of deminishing returns always seems to kick in cost goes up into the stratosphere for mot much more. Without trailing oneself(near impossible),one never really knows if they would be the ideal for me I've been grubbing around the web a bit ,these expensive Heat 3's are getting alot of great reviews from image makers. . i'm still musing frankly £125 is alot of dosh for a pair of gloves,but if I was ever able to take just one storming image because of that extra out lay I guess one might be quids in. Not to mention my hands like most else of me is half shot by hard physical graft anyway!! So there is a very serious side to this of damage limitation. I already have white finger probably a sympton is Reynoulds if they checked it al(it's nowt compared with what others suffer ,but one doesn't want it getting worsel. My lass with her arthritis probs a singular other issue. So half of me is saying that much on gloves is completely bonkers and half maybe it's a very sensible spend .Weighing up how good is that good and what it means for both of us long term is not easy Rob. It's easy to take ones health for granted !! My lass can't even shoot with a canon 550D ( tiny thing bro your nikon) because of her hands

Jerry thanks muchly for your thoughts,ha ha mate those pricey ones they have us both covered !!!!!! I do exactly the same with gloves horrendous for it nearly lost the face veil thing today,as an aside (always good when it's camo DOH) I'm utterly useless. They have a couple of wrist straps, for us, inclined to losing stuff, souls

Lads at the moment I'm actually leaning towards those heat 2's and a set of their £17 or there abouts liners. I need to read more been out chasing hares,but i'm sumising I won't need quite what the austrian german special forces guys might. I live in blighty tis milder here. But I get a fingerless for summer an extra layer for winter,and if ...I say if those heat liner things work for 12 hours as stated,when it gets really ruff,for here,that option is also in place.

cheers for all the thoughts guys really appreciated,Jerry I need to weigh up your links properly and the rest if i'm honest but those heat 2's are appealing and around half the price of the 3's which helps !!

Going to come in here with a suggestion for 'wristies' , the type of glove where it covers your palm up to the knuckles.
Fine unless it's a wind chilling breeze on the digits, that's when i'll pull on a pair of 'North Face' gloves with the 'e-tip' type fingers or some sealskinz if it's wet.
Other than that I have a pair of ex german military mittens that are for insulating purposes only.
Next thing is to have those cheap chemical handwarmers or a Zippo handwarmer both work wonders, I find it only needs a few minutes to heat up the fingers to be dexterous again for a good while.

Should add that keeping the wrist and neck warm is the best way to keep the digits and head toasty.
The blood flow is strongest in those areas before reaching the smaller vessels ...

I use MacWets as a thin glove that covers my fingertips without impeding dexterity, then when it gets cold, put a pair of wooly fingerless gloves on top. Good for everything except really wet conditions, as the MacWets are not waterproof, despite the name.

I use MacWets as a thin glove that covers my fingertips without impeding dexterity, then when it gets cold, put a pair of wooly fingerless gloves on top. Good for everything except really wet conditions, as the MacWets are not waterproof, despite the name.

Yes, I bought a pair of Macwets because they were the only ones on sale at the Photography Show. I was on my way to Norfolk and I needed a pair, having lost or forgotten all my others.

I couldn't honestly recommend them. They do seem very well made, and fit very well, but they barely keep your hands warm at all. But yes, they might work as (very expensive) liners.

On the topic for keeping warm and not starting a new thread anyone recommend any trousers for keeping warm?

On the topic for keeping warm and not starting a new thread anyone recommend any trousers for keeping warm?
Craghopper used to do a lined version of their trousers, many others do too. I find them too warm for me.

I have a pair of Rohan fleece lined that are good. I've had them for quite a few years so I don't know their latest name for these.

Cheers all for the time and more suggestions................................ Tom good points about neck and wrists, I use some old army scrim for the neck doubles as face mask and scarf,had it eons i'm love to find more of it !!!

James ,I use sportschief ,a canadian company for my outer layer coat ( one of the new camo patterns APG I think) and leggins,waterpoof beathable from Garlands shooting grounds,up near Twycross. Our last sets were incredibly long lasting(possibly 20years,my lasses are still going strong!!). I really hammer stuff. but by god that was money well spent It's the saddlecloth in the newer incarnate. This is my top layer,under this

trousers uk army suplus camos( which also come in a lined warmer version) and a base layer if it's really harsh ,of some brand of thermals ie long jons I think this is the best way as overtrousers can be dumped for the drive home if you have got them covered in mud etc. like everything you can buy cheep or expensive to some extent one gets what one pays for.

I think the biggest thing to get your head around is layering up: many thin layers are much easier to tailor to what one might deal with in a day. My base layer is under performing so I am actually also looking at this aspect.
Boots just for the hell of it for you total fishing gear extreme AP boots,around £60,on my second pair now the first did a good few years and even kept my feet warm when I'd put holes in them ,again waterpoof insulated etc

James as mentioned earlier I like me green and camo, I all but live in the stuff bar the necessity of works and hi vis. But what I use might not be everyones cup of tea.especially the camo aspect But for me I see camo as a essential tool,it's very difficult assimilaing how I'd do in just plain green which is probably more commonly worrn by nature togs

My experiences with sportschief(my first set) which at the time were expensive, very expensive looking back and the sheer value for money that a really well made product gave me ,make me think much longer about such products as what Jason has mentioned . I think my old gear cost around £400 which was a huge sum back then ( I'm not a rich guy),but years and years of being dry and warm made that daily cost of owning into pennies for a day.

So although when I started this thread the thought of paying that much £125 for a pair of gloves hadn't even entered my head (it still seems nutz.. The difference really good well made gear can make to one's enjoyment (plausibly health too) set against overal cost for the products life time is not so easily dismissed.

Hope this is of use, cheers to everyone for their contributions

stu

Yes, I bought a pair of Macwets because they were the only ones on sale at the Photography Show. I was on my way to Norfolk and I needed a pair, having lost or forgotten all my others.

I couldn't honestly recommend them. They do seem very well made, and fit very well, but they barely keep your hands warm at all. But yes, they might work as (very expensive) liners.
I agree they don't do much for warmth on their own. But I can do everything with them on, including changing the battery or SD card. So you can put what you like over them to make them warm so long as the end of your fingers stick out.

How they compare with silk liners I don't know, but would have thought they might be warmer, when dry at least. I think I got mine at a bit of discount, but yes they could certainly be cheaper!

I tend to use neoprene gloves when it's really cold, they seem to work in the wet too.
It's important to keep your core warm, if that starts to get cold the body slows the blood flow to the hands and feet which makes things worse,

Wayne and cor mate, can't I call you by your name:) zeameth i'm not going to spell right oft,;) Cheers lads. Wayne these adds ons are good tis not only me reading it's harsh out there for us softies knowing how to deal with it makes it more fun !!

guys,doin'me homewaork ...as one does:D a bit of science for you ,I know Antartic:rolleyes: but seems like a good place to test, gloves!! I haven't read it all as of yet,will fail tonight,but it's a fair read and might be of interest to others

I hope it's ok to link something like this all credit to the boffin : Kenneth V Iserson! and my thanks because it's nice to come across a study like this, good read !!!!!!!!

seeya

stu

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5106465/

Just another thought which may help anyone buying photography gloves.

If you have a chance to try them on, try to find one without a seam running across or along the end of the forefinger. A seam there will interfere with your ability to press the shutter button successfully; this would be particularly relevant in a pair of liner or thin gloves which you want to keep on all the time.

You've got 2 options :

Warm under layers e.g. merino base layer, fleece lined mid layer with windproof and waterproof over trousers. The disadvantage is that a lot of the overtrousers can get a bit rustly plus you might feel a bit bundled up

Alternatively if you are looking for more of an all in one trouser I've never had any problems with Deerhunter Ram trousers, warm lined , windproof and waterproof with a soft feel finish. Disadvantage if you get a bit warm you can't easily take off a layer !

A lot depends on what you will be doing, how active, how low a temperature you are looking at being in etc.

As long as it doesn't offend you too much can I suggest you have a look at hunting clothing. Their needs are very similar to photographers

Gun gloves. They have an extra thin section on the finger tip for firing a trigger, which works just as well on a camera trigger. They are also generally warm and grippy.

I've got a pair of the sealskinz shooting gloves. They differ from the sporting by only having the fold back index finger and not the thumb too. I can still feel the buttons to back button focus and shift focus points even through the thumb glove.

Sizing is pretty accurate on their website and the gloves are well made. They're very warm and waterproof, grip the cameras really well too. You don't get all moisture marks on the body and lens off warm sweaty hands that have been kept toasty in your pockets.

Only downside, my index fingers get really cold!

Paul David thanks both for more input ,grateful I am !!!! I'm very aware of the needs of the shooting fraternaty especially stalkers and what we do great tip to look in the shooting world for gear. Dave i'm not going to be able to have digits exposed,the fingers are just getting too old now. this last week has taught me much !!

Lads have a look at Hestra huge range see here...........................https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine-pro/

As hard as the money side is I'm leaning more and more towards the heat company silly expensive products,but not the smart 3. the layered system instead. Fundamentally I see a weakness in the smart 3 that the liner glove will wear and rip with time. I'd rather have separate liners which remove the worry of replacing the whole shell and liner. It's still a huge some of dosh for gloves (I'm really struggling with that !!)even worse as I need twos sets but as of yet they look to be the best for us.

I work outside,things have been so bad this last week I've even comtemplated the leather shell for work,holding a metal gun in this is not fun ,my mate had to physically stop on monday the cold was ripping us apart. When we stop we don't earn,it's really difficult apraising the benefits of products one can't try on or setting money lost against money spent.

Hmm anyway cheers for all the thoughts here,much appreciated

stu

Ahh mate I just couldn't we aren't even allowed to say the N word,:D Seriously though great shout Roger thanks muchly, The more choice folks have the better it is I've read good things about them,but frankly I've made mine !!

Haha did me wages today them when I knew i'd done the do,blew way too much on something silly, I playedcameras in the snow today by a canal, while waiting for me lass to have horrid stuff done at hos,I need warm hands for this photography malarky. Mate I'm just about to look at what I took,i'm hoping for a black duck with a pile of snow on her back ,but suspect I didn't press the right buttons . when I think what I have invested in tools,not being able to physically do what I can because my hands are frozen it's almost a no braiiner ,if they work,that is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for the input kiddo the more the merrier now as it's for the next guy:)

take care mate

stu

*Just read through the thread*

So, you've gone for the heat 3 layer ones? Which layers?

I would order some but never in my life have I found a single pair of gloves to keep my hands warm! I'm not sure that I'd want to spend that amount of money, as I think I'd still get cold hands lol :D

I'll wait for your review, if you don't mind being the guinea-pig! :D

Also worth remembering that cold hands (and feet) can be caused by poor circulation and no end of very expensive gloves will help in this case. Take it from one who found out the hard way! :(

Also worth remembering that cold hands (and feet) can be caused by poor circulation and no end of very expensive gloves will help in this case. Take it from one who found out the hard way! :(

At this time I'd pretty much agree Peter and I suspect that is part of my bag, I've already mentioned that I suffer from white finger so we'll see. If silly (the most??) expensive glove will help me ,or it genuinely is as you say. Obviously my question to you is have you already tried the heat company's products

Thanks for chiming in mate,cold hands can run from being an uncomfortable inconvenience to much more serious issues, and misery I suspect with my lady suffering from a form of arthritis and me having simply grafted mine into the ground,we have a fair plethra of issues and make a fair couple of guinea pigs as Wez says:D, Simply put if they wok for us buddy they will work for most !!

*Just read through the thread*

So, you've gone for the heat 3 layer ones? Which layers?

I would order some but never in my life have I found a single pair of gloves to keep my hands warm! I'm not sure that I'd want to spend that amount of money, as I think I'd still get cold hands lol :D

I'll wait for your review, if you don't mind being the guinea-pig! :D

How ya doing kiddo,bet that ladder is keeping ya toasty mate,there's nowt better than a loovely metal thing in one's hands all day in this;) !!!!!

Wez I'm essentially where you are,I'm aghast at the money I've just spent and half think i've been silly,as you say mate what really works, really keeps ones hands warm and gives one enough dextreity to work(day job or fiddly camera bottons), I've found nowt so far,so here we are!!!

Wez we have coming 2 sets of shell in green.......................if this works out,and I recover from the shock of spending so much:D,I might go for a full leather shell for the day job,just because of the wear factor. They will really get a hammering there mate as you well know,I simply think they would be the only option,mind they are even more expensive,I do price work,everything is based on how much do: if one covers extra each cold day,then they could pay for themselves in a week or two maybe a month, as before difficult to apppraise

2pairs of the polartech liner
one pair tactility
pack of hand warmers

Wez,it's alot of dosh,I wanted all the different liners but the cost was going up and up. I suspect the tactility will be great for filddly buttons,but I have reservations about the surface fabric and it picking up bits when I'm staking ,ie them sticking to the fabric.. My lady is allergic to lanolin,so that rules out the marino for her, So I went for the polar tech(nylon outer I'm hoping wont pick up stuff) for both of us and the tactility to try really just in case the polartech are too thick.

If needs must I can always grab another pair of tactility liners,but I wanted a duplicate set for us to start with so went this way round. I need to know my lass is protected to the same level I am,we both fit into the same size of glove,i've got wimpy girl's hands:D which is fortunate as we can swap and change,her overal needs might be different to mine

I suspect the durable liner will be the day job choice,i'd like to have tried them now too ,but so much dosh mate might be too thick for the camera but perfect for the day job,I use wooden tools with the mastic,lots of guys use their fingers,so I don't need quite the level of dextreity

Wez I'll be the guinea no probs mate,just wish it wasn't quite so much,;) A lot of togs stand by a tripod,I scrubble about on the ground stalking stuff as is my way. So if they last me a couple or three years(naturally at this price I want more),but realistically if they last me 2 years they'll do most image makers for ten.They are tools for a job mate how ever much they cost i'll look after them ,but they will get a hammering

My only real concerns are the liners(beyond will it work). If for example the tactility rips,there is a weakness at the base/wrist (god I've read some stuff and watched every vid I can find) it's not such a big deal. Also with the heat company evolving the designs more options might be available with time

We'll see mate I wish they were here now that's for sure as I'm off to play with me garden birds,my longtails are silly tame and in five mins me hands will be shot in this cold,their warm water has already frozen it's only been out there an hour

cheers both many thanks

stu

You've got 2 options :

Warm under layers e.g. merino base layer, fleece lined mid layer with windproof and waterproof over trousers. The disadvantage is that a lot of the overtrousers can get a bit rustly plus you might feel a bit bundled up

Alternatively if you are looking for more of an all in one trouser I've never had any problems with Deerhunter Ram trousers, warm lined , windproof and waterproof with a soft feel finish. Disadvantage if you get a bit warm you can't easily take off a layer !

A lot depends on what you will be doing, how active, how low a temperature you are looking at being in etc.

As long as it doesn't offend you too much can I suggest you have a look at hunting clothing. Their needs are very similar to photographers
I've just noticed some outdoor trousers have appeared in the classifieds. No connection with seller but may be of interest ?

I've just noticed some outdoor trousers have appeared in the classifieds. No connection with seller but may be of interest ?
Buddy, can you copy Jamesev in to this,i'm sorted with my sportschief,jacket and leggins,but he might want to see this and I'm unsure if he will????.

I'll try my self with this to see if it works @jamesev ,but I'm a bit of a numpty with all this,so unsure if this will work we will see:)

Oh guys two pairs of Heat company gloves just unboxed seem great..................one can certainly access fiddly camera buttons with both polartech and tactility liners,inside the shells,without any issue. plus the little loops on the liners to pull off liner in glove are no longer there. As the design is evolving.maybe folks have stated a preference for these to be ommitted and the heat company have listened

I'm not long in so can't really say much more as of yet, bar this. The heat company managed to get a day ahead of their own delivery date, with their prompt dispatch,the gloves got to blightly and then I got notes saying delivery might be late due to weather conditions. I have to say this made me smile,as surely they must have more snow than us in the Alps and they seems to be able to function without issue,whereas a drop of the white stuff here and every thing goes pear shaped,ahh ya gotta smile:D The heat company provided me with a steam of emails telling me what was going on invoices etc,so far very impressed ,can't beat good service. plus a pack of freebie heat warmers and some leather treatment to try.

I won't go further until i've had time to play,all seems good:)

stu

Buddy, can you copy Jamesev in to this,i'm sorted with my sportschief,jacket and leggins,but he might want to see this and I'm unsure if he will????.

I'll try my self with this to see if it works @jamesev ,but I'm a bit of a numpty with all this,so unsure if this will work we will see:)

Oh guys two pairs of Heat company gloves just unboxed seem great..................one can certainly access fiddly camera buttons with both polartech and tactility liners,inside the shells,without any issue. plus the little loops on the liners to pull off liner in glove are no longer there. As the design is evolving.maybe folks have stated a preference for these to be ommitted and the heat company have listened

I'm not long in so can't really say much more as of yet, bar this. The heat company managed to get a day ahead of their own delivery date, with their prompt dispatch,the gloves got to blightly and then I got notes saying delivery might be late due to weather conditions. I have to say this made me smile,as surely they must have more snow than us in the Alps and they seems to be able to function without issue,whereas a drop of the white stuff here and every thing goes pear shaped,ahh ya gotta smile:D The heat company provided me with a steam of emails telling me what was going on invoices etc,so far very impressed ,can't beat good service. plus a pack of freebie heat warmers and some leather treatment to try.

I won't go further until i've had time to play,all seems good:)

stu

Thanks I got some Craghoppers Kiwi and Rab Vapour Rise in the sale as they were ridiculously reduced

Peter,I thought I'd reply again to this,as at the time,I'd have pretty much agreed and did in my reply to you.But now i'm not so sure,obviously it's difficult to assess someone else's problems with circulation etc compared to one's own issues............

After a few hours out today in snow and a brutal wind,then coming home and siting stock still at the feeders for an hour,i'll take it as read you haven't tried these damn expensive gloves and the hand warmers that go with them. With hand warmers in place i've had no problems,and it really is harsh out there today. At one stage I took all layers off did an impromtu hand wash in the snow,let them blow dry for a few mins,so both hands were pretty much frozen!! The gloves once back in place which was a fiddle my hands being wet and completely numb,got my fingers working again in about ten mins or so. I must say the waterproof zip in the leather on the palm surface of the hands is an absolute sod to zip up,with frozen hands not easy at all, but not impossible.

Peter my thumbs took longest to get back working,eventually I slid them into the mit section and after a while all was well. So I'm now leaning towards the above being untrue,your probs might be worse than mine,but then one can add say an extra toe warmer ( an adesive thin warmer) palmside of the fingers in the shell plus there is another pocket for another warmer in the liner glove that I didn't use. So with that caviat of it's impossible for me to know or feel through someone else's hands,I'd say most folks would find a way here of resolving issues with cold hands,when out making images.

Sure that comes at a price and a hefty one at that,sadly.but I'm of the view now that there is an option for you .

Some other thoughts, besides the palm zips being tricky and the obvious expense which will put many off,they are a damn good tool,alot of thought in this design!!! The thumbs can be a bit of a fiddle to reveal,but frankly I can BB focus with the shell thumb cover still in place,with the polartech or tactility liners inside the shell. Compared to what one might spend on a good lens for wildlife the money side is really peanuts , I think this is what really twisted my arm with regards to buying these heat 3 layered gloves. What's the point in putting all that effort into getting a chance,which are oft one off's with wildlife,spending all that money on a good lens and camera and missing the image because I can't feel my blummin fingers.

The fact that I've spent so much on a couple of pairs of gloves is something that still doesn't sit well .But so far i'm pretty happy with that choice. I think these little handwarmers might be a godsend to folks whoms maybe can't afford the glove system,I stuffed a handwarmer between two pairs of thin socks today ,just to see how that worked. i've got good boots,they are pretty good for warmth being lined with thinsulate,but with a warmer as well,no cold what so ever in the foot dept.

The warmers are said to last for 12 hours(product dependent) while testing that isn't going to be so easy,it may well be true. They work by reacting with air,so it seems plausible that sealing them in a plastic bag will halt the chemical reaction until unwrapping for the next outing. I don't yet know if this will work,but I will soon.

Some early impressions guys,already i've gone a good way on all fours after hares no probs with strength at this stage,I'm tending to leave the right palm zip open ,so I can slip my fingers back inside during a stalk and back out fairly quickly if I want to take some images,left hand can be zipped up and not hinder camera or lens holding they seem a bit bulky at first but frankly that all goes away as the bulk isn't really noticable once the gloves are on

Finally I'm largely a hand holder,so my hands are constantly holding a freezing cold lens,while out shooting,it's maybe a bit harder than if my hands were going in to pockets,because the lens is on a tripod,so although it is still early days,they are a real asset to me and should work out for all of us really,as I can't see any other form of photography testing them harder,than a wildlife guy that hand holds

stu

Back