weekly gman's 52 for 2020 - Week 46 Narrow

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Week 25 Snapper's Choice

I'm late to the party and kicking off with this photo. I was aiming for a cinematic look to enhance an impression of loneliness and perhaps the element of something sinister ahead of the little girl. Unfortunately, to achieve the framing I wanted the dimensions/ratio ended up being unorthodox.

Alone.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see you off the mark Graham (y)
and perhaps the element of something sinister ahead of the little girl.
It works for me :)

You def want to say to her ' don't go down there little girl' so I think you have the atmosphere right!

I don't mind odd framings, the picture works its quite disturbing in a way.

I like it.

Welcome @gman - my first boss went by Gman as well!

I like your photo very much - definitely disturbing, so you've achieved the effect your were after (I think). Certainly effective!

Works for me too, it certainly lends a sense of foreboding.

It certainly has the sense of size. I don't find it foreboding / disturbing, it feels more exploratory to me.

Hmm, maybe that would have been a better avenue to take considering it's my daughter lol

I'll maybe post the original to show the difference. Thanks for the comments.

That's a super shot! Nailed it!

Hi Graham, welcome to the 52

The processing works well to give your intended feel to the photo, bit like a 60's horror movie

Pete

Here's the original for reference and some back story. There's a cheeky house off to the right and she's a little lost in the shot.

I originally planned to turn it into a night time shot, but I couldn't manage the processing to get it looking good enough. I also felt there were no other light sources (lights, lamps, windows etc) to aid with this so it would end up just looking like a dark mess unless I did some amazing moonlight technique - which could also run the risk of looking very tacky or fake.

The location is Dean Castle Country Park and it was my first time there.

Alone - Original.jpg

It looks like you've achieved your vision. Who cares about aspect ratios, you should see some of the ratios I come up with.

Last edited:
The crop emphasises the tiny child and looming tall trees, nicely done.

That's a brilliant image to start your challenge. I'm two minds on the little girl position; I like it as it is, as it looks as though the girl is trying to look round the corner to see what's ahead or if I being a tad picky to having the girl in the middle of the path. regardless, it's a fantastic shot.

Thanks for the further comments.

I can see what you mean about the positioning of the girl, although would it become too generic if she was in the middle? I could have a dabble in post. Thanks.

I quite like the processing for Snappers choice I love the framing of the trees.

Week 26 Mother Nature

I wanted to try and express Mother Nature on a more grandiose scale and express the power of which she can wield. In this case she demonstrated the power upon which she can withhold: the wind. (on a Wind Farm off the West Coast of Scotland of all places :rolleyes::D)

A hopeful attempt at expressing how reliant we could be on Mother Nature in the future. The solar rays are disappearing as a blanket of ominous clouds fill the sky; then the wind stops as we are plunged into darkness.

Mother Nature.jpg

Good light and I like the pp. Just the right amount of vignetting.

Another slightly spooky image. I think I'd prefer it without the sun (I think it is) in the bottom right, but I don't suppose you could have done much about that :) Great sky and the windmills give it scale.

Another slightly spooky image. I think I'd prefer it without the sun (I think it is) in the bottom right, but I don't suppose you could have done much about that :) Great sky and the windmills give it scale.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. Let's see what can be done about that sun... I'll be back :)

And turbine shot is an interesting take on Mother Nature, looks very nice.

And turbine shot is an interesting take on Mother Nature, looks very nice.

Thanks, I was also thinking about doing a solitary tree being heavily blown by the wind but that didn't quite work out due to the lack of wind.

Dramatic processing certainly gives a powerful impression

Thanks, I did indeed go intentionally heavy with the processing for a bit of extra drama. I'm hoping it's not overdone.

Hi Graham

A very dramatic Sky, which the processing highlights. Nice one.

Pete

Different perspective and a little later on. A little more restraint on the PP.

Wind Farm v2.jpg

Back