Weekly gman's 52 for 2020 - Week 42 Food

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Week 25 Snapper's Choice

I'm late to the party and kicking off with this photo. I was aiming for a cinematic look to enhance an impression of loneliness and perhaps the element of something sinister ahead of the little girl. Unfortunately, to achieve the framing I wanted the dimensions/ratio ended up being unorthodox.

Alone.jpg

Last edited:
Name
Joan
Edit My Images
Yes
You def want to say to her ' don't go down there little girl' so I think you have the atmosphere right!

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
I don't mind odd framings, the picture works its quite disturbing in a way.

I like it.

Edit My Images
Yes
Welcome @gman - my first boss went by Gman as well!

I like your photo very much - definitely disturbing, so you've achieved the effect your were after (I think). Certainly effective!

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Works for me too, it certainly lends a sense of foreboding.

OP
gman
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
It certainly has the sense of size. I don't find it foreboding / disturbing, it feels more exploratory to me.
Hmm, maybe that would have been a better avenue to take considering it's my daughter lol

I'll maybe post the original to show the difference. Thanks for the comments.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
That's a super shot! Nailed it!

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Graham, welcome to the 52

The processing works well to give your intended feel to the photo, bit like a 60's horror movie

Pete

OP
gman
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Here's the original for reference and some back story. There's a cheeky house off to the right and she's a little lost in the shot.

I originally planned to turn it into a night time shot, but I couldn't manage the processing to get it looking good enough. I also felt there were no other light sources (lights, lamps, windows etc) to aid with this so it would end up just looking like a dark mess unless I did some amazing moonlight technique - which could also run the risk of looking very tacky or fake.

The location is Dean Castle Country Park and it was my first time there.

Alone - Original.jpg

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
It looks like you've achieved your vision. Who cares about aspect ratios, you should see some of the ratios I come up with.

Last edited:
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
The crop emphasises the tiny child and looming tall trees, nicely done.

OP
gman
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Thanks for the further comments.

I can see what you mean about the positioning of the girl, although would it become too generic if she was in the middle? I could have a dabble in post. Thanks.

OP
gman
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Week 26 Mother Nature

I wanted to try and express Mother Nature on a more grandiose scale and express the power of which she can wield. In this case she demonstrated the power upon which she can withhold: the wind. (on a Wind Farm off the West Coast of Scotland of all places :rolleyes::D)

A hopeful attempt at expressing how reliant we could be on Mother Nature in the future. The solar rays are disappearing as a blanket of ominous clouds fill the sky; then the wind stops as we are plunged into darkness.

Mother Nature.jpg

Edit My Images
No
Another slightly spooky image. I think I'd prefer it without the sun (I think it is) in the bottom right, but I don't suppose you could have done much about that :) Great sky and the windmills give it scale.

OP
gman
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Another slightly spooky image. I think I'd prefer it without the sun (I think it is) in the bottom right, but I don't suppose you could have done much about that :) Great sky and the windmills give it scale.
Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. Let's see what can be done about that sun... I'll be back :)

OP
gman
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
And turbine shot is an interesting take on Mother Nature, looks very nice.
Thanks, I was also thinking about doing a solitary tree being heavily blown by the wind but that didn't quite work out due to the lack of wind.

OP
gman
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Dramatic processing certainly gives a powerful impression
Thanks, I did indeed go intentionally heavy with the processing for a bit of extra drama. I'm hoping it's not overdone.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Graham

A very dramatic Sky, which the processing highlights. Nice one.

Pete

OP
gman
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No

Different perspective and a little later on. A little more restraint on the PP.

Wind Farm v2.jpg