Critique Gnarled branch at Wistman's Wood in Dartmoor

Lovely shape to the branch. Could it benefit from being just a little lighter? Agree with you about Wistman's Wood being difficult to photograph; also when I was there some years ago was very disappointed in its ecological condition - seemed very overgrazed with little regeneration.

Lovely shape to the branch. Could it benefit from being just a little lighter? Agree with you about Wistman's Wood being difficult to photograph; also when I was there some years ago was very disappointed in its ecological condition - seemed very overgrazed with little regeneration.

Yeah, you’re probably right - I always edit slightly dark. They’ve fenced off half of it now which is allowing some regeneration from grazing and the huge amount of visitors. The non-fenced section makes much better photography as there’s less going on!

Yeah, you’re probably right - I always edit slightly dark. They’ve fenced off half of it now which is allowing some regeneration from grazing and the huge amount of visitors. The non-fenced section makes much better photography as there’s less going on!

i am the opposite Tom but each type of treatment comes from the individual...and suits their taste!!
its a grisly piece of timber...
cheers
geof

For me this lacks a bit of thought on composition and is too dark, it looks a great place to photograph but this isn’t working for me, sorry. Neil Burnell has taken some excellent photos from here, worth looking at if you haven’t seen them, National Geographic and some newspapers were featuring them a few weeks back.

For me this lacks a bit of thought on composition and is too dark, it looks a great place to photograph but this isn’t working for me, sorry. Neil Burnell has taken some excellent photos from here, worth looking at if you haven’t seen them, National Geographic and some newspapers were featuring them a few weeks back.

Yeah, I checked out his stuff before I went. I really liked his colours - such a difference to the typically green-dominated images from there. The thing I was lacking was the fog, which I was banking on but never happened. It’s such a chaotic environment you need the fog some subject separation plus added atmosphere. Fortunately I live down the road (half hour drive) so I can try again another time! Next time I won’t try for the blue hour because it was just too dark. If you get the fog then any time of day is good....

Back