Go faster stripe

Lovely photo Roger, great light and composition

Got to love a teal
Is the replacement for the Holden tower open now? It wasn't quite finished when I was last there but looked quite impressive, but I think you expressed a rumour about the windows not opening? Hopefully not true and it's like the South Lake hide.

Got to love a teal
Is the replacement for the Holden tower open now? It wasn't quite finished when I was last there but looked quite impressive, but I think you expressed a rumour about the windows not opening? Hopefully not true and it's like the South Lake hide.
It's now fully open Jan and is better than I feared it would be, the open top is good for those with scopes & binos but not so good for photography as there are high glass barriers to much of the viewing area. The other floor has opening windows (or they will after snagging ... currently some seized shut and handles pulled off!) and good wooden seats ... overall the view around all sides is reduced from the old Holden Tower. Excellent facility for the disabled with a lift etc.

It's now fully open Jan and is better than I feared it would be, the open top is good for those with scopes & binos but not so good for photography as there are high glass barriers to much of the viewing area. The other floor has opening windows (or they will after snagging ... currently some seized shut and handles pulled off!) and good wooden seats ... overall the view around all sides is reduced from the old Holden Tower. Excellent facility for the disabled with a lift etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing for myself now. I rarely went in the Holden tower because of those dark, steep, narrow stairs - dragging all the kit up there to find people standing in the way at the top so you couldn't get off the stairs.................. Got to be better now.

Nice shot,Roger. Love the reflection.

Reading your account it doesn't look to me like a a successful project..well not for photographers. No good on top due to the glass barriers which they'd have had to have re health & safety and common sense anyway and a restricted view compared to Holden on the other floor once you get the windows open.. Seems the handles are off caused by frustrated photographers but at least you say the seats are good so they can struggle in comfort..lol. You'd have thought they'd have checked them. Can you still see the 'perch' ? All in all I think you're being too polite.:)

At least photographers with heavy gear can get the lift to the first floor..the bit Jan didn't like, with good reason so in that sense, an improvement. I wasn't comfortable coming down them, they were very steep.

Good job the other hides haven't been 'upgraded':LOL:

Last edited:
Nice shot,Roger. Love the reflection.

Reading your account it doesn't look to me like a a successful project..well not for photographers. No good on top due to the glass barriers which they'd have had to have re health & safety and common sense anyway and a restricted view compared to Holden on the other floor once you get the windows open.. Seems the handles are off caused by frustrated photographers but at least you say the seats are good so they can struggle in comfort..lol. You'd have thought they'd have checked them. Can you still see the 'perch' ? All in all I think you're being too polite.:)

At least photographers with heavy gear can get the lift to the first floor..the bit Jan didn't like, with good reason so in that sense, an improvement. I wasn't comfortable coming down them, they were very steep.

Thanks John :)

Yes, you can still see 'the perch' and have a good view across the top of the area of bushes and beyond.
The windows sticking will be resolved with snagging but I'm not sure that the opening handles will be up to the use they will get ... the hydraulic stays are a good feature though. I think the problem at the moment is that the work has disturbed the birds from the area close to the hide and it won't be until the birds feel comfortable in returning that we will truly know whether it is better or worse for photographers ... the 'elephant in the room' is the open top of the hide. :)

Thanks John :)

Yes, you can still see 'the perch' and have a good view across the top of the area of bushes and beyond.
The windows sticking will be resolved with snagging but I'm not sure that the opening handles will be up to the use they will get ... the hydraulic stays are a good feature though. I think the problem at the moment is that the work has disturbed the birds from the area close to the hide and it won't be until the birds feel comfortable in returning that we will truly know whether it is better or worse for photographers ... the 'elephant in the room' is the open top of the hide. :)

Thanks, Roger. Sounds like it might be a while before the birds return and as you’ll be aware some might never return. It’s heartening to know that any on the perch can still be photographed. Some of my favourites have been of birds on that perch which,as I recall, you saved when you shouted to the the grounds maintenance staff from the top floor not to cut it off when they were pruning. (y)

I recall us criticising the planned open top,infact one member of staff in Holden told me there were concerns about incoming migrant (or otherwise) birds would be alarmed by people on the open roof top. It remains to be seen.

I wish they'd get on and upgrade the Rushy hide - it's terrible for someone my size. I have to stand on the steps, so long as I can get to them, and I can't move around. I was told it was going to be replaced, but that was several years ago. It's one of my favourite places for photography.

I wish they'd get on and upgrade the Rushy hide - it's terrible for someone my size. I have to stand on the steps, so long as I can get to them, and I can't move around. I was told it was going to be replaced, but that was several years ago. It's one of my favourite places for photography.
Can't say I've heard anything about the Rushy being improved Jan :(
A Beauty Gramps fantastic colours
Cheers Kev :)

I didn’t know there were intentions to do something with Rushy. It is a very good hide. Do think they might let you in with a light step. Like those some people gave as a step into a Bath. I’m sure they would. You could get a light but strong plastic one. You shouldn’t have to struggle if there’s a simple solution.

I didn’t know there were intentions to do something with Rushy. It is a very good hide. Do think they might let you in with a light step. Like those some people gave as a step into a Bath. I’m sure they would. You could get a light but strong plastic one. You shouldn’t have to struggle if there’s a simple solution.

Of course I could take my own step, John, but I'd have to drag it around with me all day when I'm already carrying camera + 150-600 lens, bins, monopod or beanbag, rucksack with bits and pieces. I'm a no-longer-as-young-as-I-was, 5ft 1, 8st in my boots and coat lady, not a pack mule...............;) TBH it's fine so long as it's quiet in there, and most of the time when we get there it is. Ever noticed you rarely get youngsters in there............?

Of course I could take my own step, John, but I'd have to drag it around with me all day when I'm already carrying camera + 150-600 lens, bins, monopod or beanbag, rucksack with bits and pieces. I'm a no-longer-as-young-as-I-was, 5ft 1, 8st in my boots and coat lady, not a pack mule...............;) TBH it's fine so long as it's quiet in there, and most of the time when we get there it is. Ever noticed you rarely get youngsters in there............?

Just seen your reply,Jan. Nothing has been showing in my alerts box..now there are three,one being yours.

Not a pack mule ?..Of course not..reading that did make me chuckle. I didn’t know you carried all that gear. I’d be struggling myself. Well, I do sometimes.

I have almost the same gear. The 150-600 ..(with a 7d11 attached) ..tripod with heavy-ish Jobu gimbal,a large bean bag but it’s light, heavy bins,a rucksack with a flask plus some food. In winter a large heavy coat and one of the large pockets filled with bird seed (from home..we have 14-20 kg bags) ‘cos when walking from hide to hide various species of wildfowl give me the eye and I feel sorry for them..lol.

Conclusion. Cancel my ‘carry a step around’ suggestion :)

I’m sure I’ve seen wooden boxes in Rushy.. well, I say ‘seen’..I recall tripping over one because I didn’t see it as it’s dark wood and can sometimes be overlooked. You’re right re Rushy and few youngsters in there. Their parents prefer South Lake hide.Warm,large windows,large lake ,seating..proper seating, staff on hand to help with ID’s. Much more inviting than Rushy.

Re my compressed sciatica nerve..much better now but I still can’t stand for long so I wouldn’t cope with Rushy or Willow. Sitting on their hard wooden benches in the other hides isn’t the best for me either at the moment.

Back