Godrevy Lighthouse - Advice needed please

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I popped to Godrevy lighthouse last night hoping for some nice colours in the sunset. What I wanted was an image to have printed for my mothers birthday next week.

I'd planned to shoot from the rocks, but the place was packed so this wasn't really possible. Instead I settled for a point on the cliff which wasn't ideal.

So this is what I came up with...

Godrevy Lighthouse by David Black, on Flickr

I wanted a peaceful image with soft colours, something relaxing to look at on a wall. Thing is, this isn't how I usually process an image so I'm not sure if this is okay.

I'd really like some opinions, especially on the processing, but also the crop (mainly because of the sun position)

The other thing I could really do with advice on is printing. I usually use DSCL and as this is a gift I'd like to order a product ready to hang on the wall. I've not ordered either an acrylic, aluminium or chromaluxe before. Which do you think would look best?

Or should I scrap this image and go out and take another?

Well, the lighthouse is leaning a bit to the right, there is also a blue cast (to my eyes at least) and I think you have lifted the shadows a wee bit too much to be realistic. The Sea Pinks in the foreground should be more of a feature, maybe by shooting from lower down in my opinion. You could reshoot or maybe process differently- Here is my take on it.

28963118246_42d1da5eb0_c.jpg

I would agree that the shadows seem a little too lifted on the otiginal but with a bit more contrast its a lovely shot.

Would also say, this is one of my favourite spots in the country. Just something about it - but that's North Cornwall for you!

Still consider all that coastline North round to Lands End - then it all become South!

Correct :)
Im Redruth, Relubbus & Bude... I did escape a few years ago though but still get back as often as I can.

The original shot also feels a bit underexposed. You could lift it a touch and not clip any highlights etc.

Well, the lighthouse is leaning a bit to the right, there is also a blue cast (to my eyes at least) and I think you have lifted the shadows a wee bit too much to be realistic. The Sea Pinks in the foreground should be more of a feature, maybe by shooting from lower down in my opinion. You could reshoot or maybe process differently- Here is my take on it.

View attachment 71560

That's pretty much what I would do, and then reduce magenta by a few points.

Compared with original more brightness and more contrast were really needed to bring the histogram towards the middle.

Best options of printing are fine art papers (inkjet) or direct print on aluminium. C-types would kill all the lovely orange hues. I can't understand why they still bother pushing that crap to us.

The edit is the way to go, you could possibly go a little further with contrast too. It may need brightening more for print. The photo is very slightly wonky, needs a very small anti-clockwise rotation

Back