Going to Cuba/Havana, any tips?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
As the title says, I'm off to Cuba in just over a week and wondered it anyone had any hints/tips please? We're staying in Varadero but will be going to Havana at some point, main things I'd like to know are:-

1) How safe is it? I hear differing reports, some folk say they've never felt safer on holiday, some say don't take a camera into Havana, don't wear jewellery or watches or you'll get mugged/have the snatched from you etc etc. I do plan on taking my camera and usually have it on a peak design sling strap, is this advisable having it 'on show' or are you better having a shoulder bag? I don't like the idea of the latter as it'll be a pain taking the camera in and out of the bag over 2 mins, but obviously I want to be safe.

2) Whilst it's not a photography holiday (as been made quite clear by my wife ;)) I will obviously be taking pics, is there a particular part of Havana where you see the 'classic' colourful buildings and likewise is there a particular spot you see a lot of the old American cars?

3) If you take a photo of someone, or someone's car do they expect a tip and if so what's the going rate?

4) We don't want to travel too far but is there anywhere else you'd recommend going, particularly in/near Varadero. We'll probably take a trip to the Varahicacos Ecological Park/Nature Reserve.

5) Cash, are there cash machines around or is it best to change currency at the airport or hotel?

Camera equipment I'll be taking is the EM1-II with 12-40mm f2.8, Panny 100-400mm (for the Varahicacos Ecological Park and other wildlife), Sigma 56mm f1.4 and Olly 45mm f1.8. Seems a bit odd to take two similar primes but I'm a big petrolhead and want to take some isolated shots of the cars in Havana and am slightly concerned the 56mm is a bit too long and restrictive (112mm eq), and as the Oly 45mm f1.8 is so light and teeny it's no hardship to take that in a pocket too. I won't be taking the 100-400mm to Havana ;) I'll then have a gorillapod and shutter release in case I get the opportunity for sunsets etc. It's more gear than I usually take (especially the 100-400mm, I usually take the very lightweight 40-150mm f4-5.6 R) but we're allowed 10kg hand luggage so I thought why not ;)

Anyway, any advice is appreciated.

I've only ever been once, about 10 years ago and it's my favourite place ever. Absolutely loved it there.

So much to photograph and not once did I feel threatened or scared. Obviously, as anywhere, you need to keep your wits about you and don't go wandering away from the main town/city unless you have others with you, but I found everyone very friendly.

The old buildings and the cars of Havana are what you want to photograph. A bit stereotypical but they are very photogenic. I was never asked for money for taking pics of cars and if I was, i'd just walk away back to my group anyway.

When I was in Havana, there were lots of street performers and believe me, they know when every single camera is pointing at them. It's uncanny. And they will just turn their back. I managed a few in the end but you need to persevere.

If you can, go on one of the jeep tours. We went out as a group of about 15 Suzuki jeeps, did offroad into the real villages to see what Cuba is all about. The trek ended at a river where we went on engined boats for about 5 miles and when we got to the other end, the jeeps were all there, ready for the final return. Great fun.

Enjoy it and don't be afraid at all

I've only ever been once, about 10 years ago and it's my favourite place ever. Absolutely loved it there.

So much to photograph and not once did I feel threatened or scared. Obviously, as anywhere, you need to keep your wits about you and don't go wandering away from the main town/city unless you have others with you, but I found everyone very friendly.

The old buildings and the cars of Havana are what you want to photograph. A bit stereotypical but they are very photogenic. I was never asked for money for taking pics of cars and if I was, i'd just walk away back to my group anyway.

When I was in Havana, there were lots of street performers and believe me, they know when every single camera is pointing at them. It's uncanny. And they will just turn their back. I managed a few in the end but you need to persevere.

If you can, go on one of the jeep tours. We went out as a group of about 15 Suzuki jeeps, did offroad into the real villages to see what Cuba is all about. The trek ended at a river where we went on engined boats for about 5 miles and when we got to the other end, the jeeps were all there, ready for the final return. Great fun.

Enjoy it and don't be afraid at all
Thanks, appreciate the info (y)

The cigar lady (Graciela Gonzalez) of Havana (if she's still alive)?

I think the same can be said of every country , just act normally , the majority of tourists carry cameras etc and the local police don't like them robbed as it cuts off the foreign exchange supply . just keep to the main drag and you should be fine .. I was told the same about Egypt but felt safer there than at home , in Poland they have problems with the Romanian gypsies but seen them being ejected from tourist areas at gunpoint , and in Greece seen known pickpockets being thrown into police vans before they could enter the tourist zones . have a good holiday and take plenty of pics

The cigar lady (Graciela Gonzalez) of Havana (if she's still alive)?

I managed to get an image of her - i'll dig it out later.

What an amazing looking lady. I'd be surprised if she was still alive, the way she used to smoke her huge cigars

Went 10 years ago and spent 3 nights in Havana and 7 in Varadero.
Havana is great. Wandered about at all hours and never once felt unsafe. The people are so friendly.
Lots of interesting buildings and cars everywhere.
The museum of the revolution is worth a visit, so too are the cigar factories.
We also enjoyed the Havana Club rum tour.
Club Tropicana was amazing.
You will love it.

Went 10 years ago and spent 3 nights in Havana and 7 in Varadero.
Havana is great. Wandered about at all hours and never once felt unsafe. The people are so friendly.
Lots of interesting buildings and cars everywhere.
The museum of the revolution is worth a visit, so too are the cigar factories.
We also enjoyed the Havana Club rum tour.
Club Tropicana was amazing.
You will love it.
Thanks. We’re probably only going for the day to Havana, although may decide to stay overnight. Havana Club tour is on the to do list as it’s my favourite tipple ;) Not decided on Club Tropicana yet.

Thanks. We’re probably only going for the day to Havana, although may decide to stay overnight. Havana Club tour is on the to do list as it’s my favourite tipple ;) Not decided on Club Tropicana yet.
We stayed in the parc central hotel in Havana and would recommend it.
I'd say definitely go to Club Tropicana if you can, but the drinks aren't free :)

If you can change currency at the hotel - do so there. ATMs are still not dependable, plus there are lots of queues - that's in Havana.

I wasn't threatened at all when I was there, although I was in a group, no-one hassled us. But, be aware of where you are, if you go out in the dark - take company. Plenty of old cars (they do look knackered though), so if someone wants money just walk away as there are plenty of others.

Small and light is the way to go in Havana, there are opportunities everywhere, 45/56mm would be good for portraits but the 12-40 should be good for 95+%

Currency is trickey as you have the pesos nacionales and pesos convertibles = both different = locals use nacionales and tourists have convertibles - check your change. If you have plenty left over you can buy as many bottles of Havana Club at the airport..

Incredible place - ENJOY!

We stayed in the parc central hotel in Havana and would recommend it.
I'd say definitely go to Club Tropicana if you can, but the drinks aren't free :)
One piece of basic advice from me is to always learn how to say the basics (good morning, good afternoon, goodnight, please, thank you) in the local language wherever you go.

If you can change currency at the hotel - do so there. ATMs are still not dependable, plus there are lots of queues - that's in Havana.

I wasn't threatened at all when I was there, although I was in a group, no-one hassled us. But, be aware of where you are, if you go out in the dark - take company. Plenty of old cars (they do look knackered though), so if someone wants money just walk away as there are plenty of others.

Small and light is the way to go in Havana, there are opportunities everywhere, 45/56mm would be good for portraits but the 12-40 should be good for 95+%

Currency is trickey as you have the pesos nacionales and pesos convertibles = both different = locals use nacionales and tourists have convertibles - check your change. If you have plenty left over you can buy as many bottles of Havana Club at the airport..

Incredible place - ENJOY!
Thanks very much, most helpful (y)

With regard to currency - only peso convertible (CUC) can be exchanged back to sterling at the airport. Locals use the Cuban Peso (CUP) which cannot be exchanged. It is however worthwhile getting some CUP peso as they can be used in local shops for cheaper items like water etc. This is because the convertible peso has a higher value and your change will be in CUP - which cannot be exchanged !!! When you arrive at Havana airport there will be a long queue at the exchange just outside arrivals. Best to ge to departures - upstairs in the terminal - and change your currency there - probably no queue. ATMs very unreliable so I'd suggest cash is best.
I walked around downtown Havana and felt quite comfortable. I was approached by beggars but they were extremely polite. I think you just need to take the routine precautions you would in any foreign country. I loved Cuba and will visit again hopefully in the not to distant future - I must admit I'm envious of anyone who can make the visit to Cuba - its an amazing place that I'm sure you'll really enjoy.

PS - the CUP peso is also useful to have for tips - just a few peso normally does the trick (y)(y)(y)

With regard to currency - only peso convertible (CUC) can be exchanged back to sterling at the airport. Locals use the Cuban Peso (CUP) which cannot be exchanged. It is however worthwhile getting some CUP peso as they can be used in local shops for cheaper items like water etc. This is because the convertible peso has a higher value and your change will be in CUP - which cannot be exchanged !!! When you arrive at Havana airport there will be a long queue at the exchange just outside arrivals. Best to ge to departures - upstairs in the terminal - and change your currency there - probably no queue. ATMs very unreliable so I'd suggest cash is best.
I walked around downtown Havana and felt quite comfortable. I was approached by beggars but they were extremely polite. I think you just need to take the routine precautions you would in any foreign country. I loved Cuba and will visit again hopefully in the not to distant future - I must admit I'm envious of anyone who can make the visit to Cuba - its an amazing place that I'm sure you'll really enjoy.

PS - the CUP peso is also useful to have for tips - just a few peso normally does the trick (y)(y)(y)
Thanks very much. We’re actually flying into and staying in Varadero so am not sure what the queues will be like there?

Back