Critique Going to Seed.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Bit of grass going to seed in a bit of the garden where it shouldn't be, but am going to leave it there it looks happy enough.
Not as sharp as i would like but you can't win them all.
I have been trying to get just one section in focus and the remainder blurry, am having success with the blurry bits its the getting the bit focus where i want, is the bit am finding difficult.
ISO 1250 - f10 - 1/1250.
Manual focus. Camera set to manual. Messed about in Silver Efex and Lightroom. Looking at it again i think i have maybe messed a bit too much :(
Hot harsh sunshine, light breeze.

Any advice would be gratefully received on improving my chances of getting what am after.
Thanks in advance :)

Going to Seed. by Mike Mayo, on Flickr

Think you have most of what you went for, focus on the one and blur of the rest. Some of the back is a bit tight to the frame.

Did you have some support when taking it ? If not try that on a plant - can help get the frame. Also you could use live view magnifier if you have one on a tripod. Not something I'd normally use for macro - but good for plants - esp in a breeze.

No expert on B&W conversion - and tones for that are for your taste anyway.

I really like this but the ratio/size feels odd for me, is it a crop or an m43 shot?

Thanks for comments & advice Chris & Alex>
I think supporting the plant etc is something i will have to look into, i wasn't using a tripod as the stem was blowing about that much.
It is a crop taken with 5Dmk3 and 180mm macro, i agree with it being a bit tight in the frame but there was some distracting bits and bobs that i wasn't keen on so cropped it to suit.
I will keep trying, its always good to get some good feedback, thank you.
Onwards and upwards as they say :)

Back