Going "Wild" in Tanzania

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
This is the first chance I have had to be able to post up some pictures that I have taken while on safari in Tanzania..............This has been the most amazing experience that i have ever experienced and I still have 3 days left.
Below are just a couple of grab shots that I took over the first 3 days. Once I get home and sort through all the pictures I will post up some more.......... Enjoy
1/. Thirsty
_NUK8321.jpg
2/. Chaos
NDW_7209.jpg
3/. Protecting my kill
NDW_7793.jpg
4/. Long Legs
_NUK3733.jpg

#3, great story telling…
and cool rendition too!

Looks like fun, will look forward to seeing more when you get back :)

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. That's the safari over and tomorrow morning I will be heading back to Nigeria for work. I can't say how many photos I took but it was a lot a real lot, but more importantly it was a massive learning curve on how the D810 and 600mm work together.
I've fumbled with camera settings and trying to figure out what works best for me and the last 4 days I basically went with shooting at around f6 to f8 and adjusting the shutter speed to around 1/1000 by adding or taking away ISO via the rear wheel using the easy ISO setting that I found by accident. Looking at the pictures I think I've found something that works well for me.
Once I get back to work I will find time to post up some more pictures so stay posted [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Right now I an nackard and don't want to see a picture again[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Great pics. 1 & 2 are absolutely superb (y)

....I basically went with shooting at around f6 to f8 and adjusting the shutter speed to around 1/1000 by adding or taking away ISO via the rear wheel using the easy ISO setting that I found by accident

Great shots Neil. Can't you just stick it in auto ISO, once you've set the aperture and shutter speed? I'd think in situations like you've been in, where you want your eyes on the shot, making things simpler would be an advantage.

Great shots Neil. Can't you just stick it in auto ISO, once you've set the aperture and shutter speed? I'd think in situations like you've been in, where you want your eyes on the shot, making things simpler would be an advantage.
The problem I found with auto ISO was it was too auto if you know what I mean. What I mean is say I'm taking a picture of a small bird from about 20 feet in so so light auto ISO will try to keep giving you what you have set but if for example you feel you can get it with a slower shutter speed auto ISO won't let you do it......... It worked well for me and just gave me that wee bitty of control

The problem I found with auto ISO was it was too auto if you know what I mean. What I mean is say I'm taking a picture of a small bird from about 20 feet in so so light auto ISO will try to keep giving you what you have set but if for example you feel you can get it with a slower shutter speed auto ISO won't let you do it......... It worked well for me and just gave me that wee bitty of control

I've read that a few times and I'm still not sure what you mean. If it works for you, stick with it.

5/. Mother and daughter
_NDW5359.jpg
6/. Bird ???......in two minds about the way I cropped this one.........I just liked the Acacia tree in there
_NDW5369.jpg
7/. Looking at you
_NUK5247.jpg

here are a few more....I am starting a two day photoshop class on Wednesday that will hopefully help me with my PP skills as right now they suck :( :( After that I will take all my best shots and put them into a coffee table book.............which I now have already five published books
10/
Neil's_Photography_January-18,-2016__NUK3458.jpg
11/.
Neil's_Photography_January-23,-2016__NUK5107.jpg
12/.
Neil's_Photography_January-25,-2016__NUK6659.jpg
13/.
Neil's_Photography_January-25,-2016__NUK6712.jpg

Some crackers there Neil, well done.
(I particularly like the long nosed, big eared, grey thingy ma bob)

Last edited:
thats the real zoo...true to life and full of nature in the raw
i assume these are from the serengeti?
we toured a few areas a number of years ago and were woken up to what animal life was really like

giraffe by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

the best one here for me is the cheetah with kill...once they down their prey they have to eat quickly
first in are the vultures, then the hyena and inevitably the lion comes to chase the cheetah off...they cant really pull the prey as they are so lightweight

cheers
geof

Last edited:
15/.
Nice way to see the animals early morning
Neil's_Photography_January-20,-2016_NDW_6148.jpg
16/.
Carious
Neil's_Photography_January-21,-2016__NDW7206.jpg
17/.
Coming out of the woodwork
Neil's_Photography_January-25,-2016__NUK6322.jpg
18/.
Crossing the lake
Neil's_Photography_January-21,-2016__NDW7555.jpg
19/.
Got a hill to climb
Neil's_Photography_January-21,-2016__NUK0768.jpg

I really like that cheetah shot, looking so proud with it's kill. But as we know, it's not only a struggle to get that prize, it'll be desperately wary of losing it to bigger beasts.

A few more to my going "Wild" in Tanzania
When I get home I plan to publish on book on my trip to Tanzania and will include many pictures from my trip............stay posted :) :)
20/.

. Neil's_Photography_January-19,-2016__NUK5017.jpg
21/.
Neil's_Photography_January-21,-2016__NUK1024.jpg
22/.
Neil's_Photography_January-23,-2016__NUK4865.jpg
23/.
Neil's_Photography_January-23,-2016__NUK4714.jpg
24/.
Neil's_Photography_January-24,-2016__NUK5433.jpg
25/.

Back