Goldfinch on Teasel

Yes I like that Roger! I like the colours as well!

Great composition. The only aspect which I'm not sure about is the colours but I think that's more a matter of personal taste.

What is it that prompts you to say you're not sure about this one, gramps?

Great composition. The only aspect which I'm not sure about is the colours but I think that's more a matter of personal taste.

What is it that prompts you to say you're not sure about this one, gramps?

Thanks Robin ... I like the subdued colours, I don't normally find my colours are subdued.
I guess I'm unsure because of it being a distant shot and again not my normal type of shot ... I can get fixated about being 'in close'. :)

I have to say that I like the colours more than I did at first sight when I found the flowers and leaf colours possibly over intense. But I now think this is nit picking.

I think it's good to broaden what you describe as your normal type of shot. Personally, I like to see wildlife pictures with the animal/bird subject in its habitat context as well as more close up.

A nice contextual environment image.....I have only ever seen them on the drier/dried seed heads so seeing them in flower is good.

Composition wise, IMO cropping a tad off of the RHS will tighten it to improve (though rules can be broken ;) ) it by putting the goldfinch on the "thirds".

A nice contextual environment image.....I have only ever seen them on the drier/dried seed heads so seeing them in flower is good.

Composition wise, IMO cropping a tad off of the RHS will tighten it to improve (though rules can be broken ;) ) it by putting the goldfinch on the "thirds".

.... But putting it on the 'thirds' will then cause the bird to be looking into a tight space and also spoil the composition which the 'stepped' teasel heads are forming.

Best, in my not-so-humble opinion, to ignore such 'rules' or guidelines and primarily always do what appeals most to your own eye rather than intellectualise about it.

Lovely colours, all very subdued and dreamy. Nice to see a goldie on a 'live' teasel too.

RE the composition, I think I would crop down the LHS, losing the 4 teasels to that side and just keeping the 3 main ones. This would also maintain some space for the goldie to look into. It's already on a top 3rd, so no worries there, even though (after my crop) the goldie wouldn't be on an intersection of thirds, as already mentioned, rules are there to be broken.

Just my very subjective take on what is already a lovely image. (y)

Thanks for the comments all :)

I would have done that if the bird had been looking in the opposite direction but as it is do you think it would be a bit 'tight' looking at the edge of the frame?

RE the composition, I think I would crop down the LHS, losing the 4 teasels to that side and just keeping the 3 main ones.
I can see that working but more effort to get it looking right due to the 'crossovers' of the stalks/heads.

The bottom line is that each of us has our own idea about what is 'right' and 'wrong' (and everything inbetween) with someone else's photo, but!

Also, we each interpret and strive to express what our eyes see in our own way.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't offer our personal opinions as critique though.

I like this picture and have clicked the Like button accordingly.

It's good to get different ideas, I welcome all comments even if I don't agree with them all :)

.... But putting it on the 'thirds' will then cause the bird to be looking into a tight space and also spoil the composition which the 'stepped' teasel heads are forming.

Best, in my not-so-humble opinion, to ignore such 'rules' or guidelines and primarily always do what appeals most to your own eye rather than intellectualise about it.

Granted ;)
I, like you, see what pleases me and yes when I critique (this is the critque & sharing sub-fora) I also express my pleasure with some qualification.

Your point about the stepped Teasel blooms is bang on :) However, IMO the RHS has a tad too much 'negative space'.......ones eye falls out of the picture as opposed to being stopped by the edge of the frame and drawing the viewers attention back to the contents.

Thanks for the comments all :)

I would have done that if the bird had been looking in the opposite direction but as it is do you think it would be a bit 'tight' looking at the edge of the frame?

It is of course only my view but yes I feel if cropped RHS to the equal'ish amount to the LHS i.e. the Teasel 'leaf' is left the Goldfinch's gaze still has enough space to breath and as per my reply to Robin about the composition of the Teasel heads a viewers gaze is then held in the frame. It is hard to put into words what I see but as per Robin's and others feedback, there is more than one way to please most folk and I would have been delighted to have seen and photographed that scene.....but cropped as I explained ;)

It is of course only my view but yes I feel if cropped RHS to the equal'ish amount to the LHS i.e. the Teasel 'leaf' is left the Goldfinch's gaze still has enough space to breath and as per my reply to Robin about the composition of the Teasel heads a viewers gaze is then held in the frame. It is hard to put into words what I see but as per Robin's and others feedback, there is more than one way to please most folk and I would have been delighted to have seen and photographed that scene.....but cropped as I explained ;)

Thanks for explaining, I do value your thoughts :)

Had a quick play with several different crops and can't find anything that works better, Roger. The only thing that came close was a much tighter crop than yours to leave just the Goldie and its perch but a) I'm not sure even the D850 has enough pixels for that much more cropping and b) that still leaves some work to remove the other flower parts that cross the perch.
I like the rather muted background and seeing a Goldie in its natural setting (although it'll be a week or 2 before the seeds ripen in those teasel heads!)

Had a quick play with several different crops and can't find anything that works better, Roger. The only thing that came close was a much tighter crop than yours to leave just the Goldie and its perch but a) I'm not sure even the D850 has enough pixels for that much more cropping and b) that still leaves some work to remove the other flower parts that cross the perch.
I like the rather muted background and seeing a Goldie in its natural setting (although it'll be a week or 2 before the seeds ripen in those teasel heads!)

Thanks Nod ... like you I think a very tight crop would be asking too much, even of the D850.

I like it. Nice and loose, natural environment, lovely colour tones. Makes a great difference from the normal portraits and reminds us all to try alternative shots.

Mike

I like it. Nice and loose, natural environment, lovely colour tones. Makes a great difference from the normal portraits and reminds us all to try alternative shots.

Mike
Thanks Mike, it seems to have been Explored overnight so obviously liked by a few :)
Reminds me to look at the wider picture in future.

very nice Roger- shows the environment as well as the bird, very Nat Geo :)

Lews

very Nat Geo :)

Does that mean it'll keep spamming me even though I've supposedly unsubscribed from all emails. Bar. Stewards. (Never be the same now it's a Murdoch rag.)

Does that mean it'll keep spamming me even though I've supposedly unsubscribed from all emails. Bar. Stewards. (Never be the same now it's a Murdoch rag.)
No it means Roger will keep e mailing you this same image week in week out mate :)

Les

This photo held my attention for several minutes..it's a lovely shot.

Back