goldfinch

I like the composition and the goldie is sharp enough, the light is strong by the looks and I get this problem too at my hide, it's either too much or not enough. Still, this is a very nice image of a very nice bird. (y)

Send it my way please. ;)

Yep early morning ish ? And backlit Dale

Yep early morning ish ? And backlit Dale

I like the light, just the bright patches on the perch and legs had me thinking it was later in the day.

I set up my hide so that the sun swings around behind it, from right to left with my back to it so to speak. At the moment, I'm getting periods of very strong lighting, my goldfinch image from the hide was taken at 1pm (ish), the day before summer solstice, so maybe not the best time, but it was my first goldie, I was having it. ;)

I can't wait for the softer light of autumn and into winter, really looking forward to that. (y)

It's amazing how the light changes, I usually use manual mode but I've been using aperture priority this last few days with centre weighted average metering, just one less thing to think about. In AV mode, one minute the shutter speed is 3200/sec, the next 800/sec.

I took your advice, got myself some sunflower hearts today.(y)

Last edited:
A this was around 8.30 a.m Dale in a dark wood but a open pool behind the bird reflecting the light up at funny angles ,and although I live in wales it’s the northern coastal strip and this was only a couple of hundred yards from the sea which also causes problems with the light intensity

Back