Goldie

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Just set up a new hide in the garden this morning.

Used the kids old dome-shaped climbing frame that they never use anymore and turned it into a movable (round the garden anyway) hide. Covered it in some camo netting and it works well. Main reason I wanted to do it was so that I can stand up in there for eye-level in-the-tree shots :)

Here's the first from it (I know the bg at the top is annoying, next thing to sort lol) :-

Goldfinch by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Looks like a good setup Wez I wouldn't be in a rush to go to f8 unless you can ensure the background remains good :)

The sweet spot seems to be around 5.6 on this one

Of course, you should know!
My idea is, as well, that it is easier
to soften than sharpen adequately!

Detail around the head looks stunning Wez (y) but that's some shallow dof when the wings are oof on a profile shot of a Goldie! :)

I know you've mention it but I think I might've been tempted to clone out the lighter bg above its head and replace with the black, it would give it the Look of Mikes recent Grebe shot and would look stunning

Tbh though, stopping this lens down to F8 doesn't really make much of a difference. The sweet spot seems to be around 5.6 on this one :)
Thats the most sensible comment i have seen on here for a while .
Bird looks good ,would be a boring hobby Wez if you got it all right the first time

Detail around the head looks stunning Wez (y) but that's some shallow dof when the wings are oof on a profile shot of a Goldie! :)

I know you've mention it but I think I might've been tempted to clone out the lighter bg above its head and replace with the black, it would give it the Look of Mikes recent Grebe shot and would look stunning

I did try that but couldn't get it to look natural. If anyone knows a way I could do this? :D

An interesting upcycling of old kit..............by any chance have you got or could take a picture of the hide with and without the camo netting?

We have always got Goldies in the garden and like you would love to be closer to them :(

Edit ~ how long did it take for them to get used to the presence of the hide (on each move) ??

Last edited:
An interesting upcycling of old kit..............by any chance have you got or could take a picture of the hide with and without the camo netting?

We have always got Goldies in the garden and like you would love to be closer to them :(

Edit ~ how long did it take for them to get used to the presence of the hide (on each move) ??

Typically, once I'd tied all the camo net on, I thought that I should've maybe done a before and after!

Once the net was on (bearing in mind you could still see my legs, I've just ordered one more bit for round the bottom) I stood in it and literally within a couple of minutes the birds were back down.

First the Blackbird then the Dunnock, followed by the Sparrows, then the Goldfinches.

Just looked out the window now though and the GSW and the Greenfinch are there! Shame they only visit a couple of times a day though, will have to do a long shift to get those ;)

P.S. I have my portable hide that I usually put up in the garden. It's been there for a few days now but the birds don't really seem to take any notice of it. Also, since I've started using Q mode instead of continuous, they seem to stick around longer!

If anyone knows a way I could do this?

I tried in with Capture One using the colour tool…

GoldieC1pp.jpg

…sorry for your watermark!

What does this look like Wez? Doesn't look too bad on my monitor. Only took me a couple of minutes and could certainly be improved on around is head :)wezs goldie.jpg

Typically, once I'd tied all the camo net on, I thought that I should've maybe done a before and after!

Once the net was on (bearing in mind you could still see my legs, I've just ordered one more bit for round the bottom) I stood in it and literally within a couple of minutes the birds were back down.

First the Blackbird then the Dunnock, followed by the Sparrows, then the Goldfinches.

Just looked out the window now though and the GSW and the Greenfinch are there! Shame they only visit a couple of times a day though, will have to do a long shift to get those ;)

P.S. I have my portable hide that I usually put up in the garden. It's been there for a few days now but the birds don't really seem to take any notice of it. Also, since I've started using Q mode instead of continuous, they seem to stick around longer!

Thanks for insight :)

Not having suitable unused kids play equipment but based on your description I was thinking something along the lines of one of those garden arch frames.......light enough to move around when assembled but with enough room 'inside' to possibly stand and sit???

Never got even close to a brush
but the colour picker!

You see Daniel, that's where you are cleverer than me, I could only use the clone tool!

start again ... the OOF areas are just too dominant and cannot be improved

and if you over process there will be problems in other areas

you can only process so far in the subject and in the bg

Back