Critique Golitha Falls

Very pleasing composition through your layering approach here.
Everything seems to fall at the right place… nothing conflicting.

In terms of capture, I don't know if you din't not protect the whites
or forgot to recover them, but the turbulent waters of the stream
look blown out.

I terms of rendition, I think this does not reflect the "underwood"
darker atmosphere that is felt when entering the scene. Would I
dare suggest to revisit the tonal range of this rendition, Jon?
Something possibly in this direction…

Golitha%20Falls.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer the lighter rendition more but agree recovering the whites from the water would have been a good move
I think I'd go for somewhere between the two, with the whites sorted and the lightness tweaked down slightly, as I personally find the second rendition a bit gloomy and dull. However, this is probably down to personal taste rather than 'right or wrong'.

I prefer the lighter rendition more but agree recovering the whites from the water would have been a good move

Completely agree with that. Original exposure is very decent and anything less is a manifestation of screen calibration issues and will lead to hard time printing.

I would tone down saturation, and pay attention to the white balance. It seems to have a fair bit of magenta in the water, which is something the camera would do by default in a very green scene. I would fix that.

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.

I know the whites look very white, but I think that's because they are just, well, white. I've checked LR and they aren't blown - they are only just touching the clipping point in one or two very small spots. I do agree towards the top of the falls they look a bit like they are though.

I do like Kodiak's darker rendition, but I didn't want to darken mine too much, but probably could have gone a bit farther, maybe a bit between the two, as was said.

Interesting one about the WB. I did cool it down a bit from the original. Too much? Or not far enough?

I think that's because they are just, well, white.

Right, white is white, Jon.

The thing is first to protect the whites in capture so to have
options in rendition — options you lose if they are burnt. :cool:

People have said it already the highlights are a week bit blown but not overly a big issue... It's a bit out the box I know but looking at it with the turbulent water going into a darker stiller pool it may be an idea to try a SE Grad ND filter... I've never tried it myself but just thought about it looking at your image and would be tempted to experiment with it if I ever find myself taking a similar pic.

Back